List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals - Part 2 (The 2020 Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just not DBG, anyone of the top 5 but him, he is not going to help us near as much than Mcdonald, even Tillthorpe if we go tall. Hollands and Phillips as well will drive us forward and lead us, need a draw card for the sydney market too, its not a fullback that pulls the crowd. Glad we get campbell and gulden but think we will blunder with DBG and I bet we tske him too if tillthorpe, mcdonald and JUH are off the table already.

Rowbottom says hi. We are still building the list. I think we are 2-3 years in on rebuilding the list depending upon whose viewpoint you listen to.
Yes we need another young bull gun inside mid.
Centre bounces type mids include Kennedy, Parker, Heeney, Papley. Stephens is supposed to be able as well.
We are building still.
Its just that what do you prioritize at this draft with a very valuable pick.

We have a lot of mids and one poster I think Kiama Chris said he could not fit Florent into his best 22 next year. That sounds to me like we are building REAL depth in the midfield. Why bring in another VG mid this year. We have others on the side lines who need games.

We have deficiencies in other areas. RUCK, KPF, KPD. Yes we could do with more classy mids.

I think KPF is the greatest need. Buddy is 100 and Reid is tall. Bringing in McDonald would be ideal.

Down back we have Melican as our second tall. I like him but he is inconsistent. Also Rampe is 31 next year. He plays that interceptor role too. Imagine another classy tall down back (DGB) who we could groom to take over that 2nd tall and interceptor role so when Rampe retires the position is filled.

That's my thoughts.
If Longmoron stops playing Warner as a pressure fwd, he will be our generational inside mid.

Just not DBG, anyone of the top 5 but him, he is not going to help us near as much than Mcdonald, even Tillthorpe if we go tall. Hollands and Phillips as well will drive us forward and lead us, need a draw card for the sydney market too, its not a fullback that pulls the crowd. Glad we get campbell and gulden but think we will blunder with DBG and I bet we tske him too if tillthorpe, mcdonald and JUH are off the table already.
So let us prioritize our picks according to how we anticipate they will be draw cards for our supporters.

I recall Buckley made no secret of the fact that he wanted to play for Collingwood, but perhaps he was not as egregious as Chalmers.
Still, a player can make it known in the interviews he doesn't want to play for a club.
For a start he could act like a prize git in the interview with one club, and be the model draftee with his preferred.
That's not entirely true. One of the best podcast series you will hear on footy is all about the 93 season and features a different coach every podcast. It is a fantastic listen. There are a couple of episodes where you hear about the Buckley situation from Walls at the Bears, and another one i think from the Adelaide coach(?) But you actually hear two sides of the same story (the fake paperwork, etc) and it is brilliant.
Buckley actually comes out of it really well and told Walls that if Brisbane hadn't already agreed for him to go to collingwood then he would be more than happy to stay.

Generally speaking key defenders are far far more likely to be useful and earn their spots in best 22's faster than key position forwards and ruckmen. A KPD can legitimately earn his spot almost immediately, but a KPF or ruckman don't really start doing that for a few years.

It's a long time ago but Anthony Rocca sooked for his two seasons at the Swans until he got what he wanted and was traded to Collingwood.

Recruiting staff would absolutely take into account the potential go home factor when recruiting. They would need to assess the wellbeing of the player and their level of maturity when moving states and adjusting to an elite sports regime.
Also compounded by Shannon Grant

No, I constantly talk as a frustrated fan not agreeing with a lot that the club is doing of late.
The majority of your almost 1500 posts in this thread are you being frustrated by the club for things that they haven't even done yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are really drafting based on draw card appeal then we’re not doing our job at all. I’d be startled if that comes into consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inaction can sometimes be more damaging than actions.
You aren't getting frustrated at them for inaction.

You are getting frustrated for things they haven't even done because those things can only happen in an undetermined future time.

Beatson's revisit of the 2019 draft class is interesting. No mention of Gould lacking condition which seems to be a complaint on here. He said he needed to work on some defensive parts of his game this year. He's a competitor and Beatson looks forward to him debuting next year. Time everyone laid off the cheap fat jokes IMO. My guess is he's fitter than almost everyone on this site has ever been. Just a big boy, which we'll all be thankful for when he's muscling opposition players Reg-style.

Beatson said Stephens adjusted to the pace of AFL more as the year progressed but needs to use his speed more.

Big step up from colts to AFL for Warner, who needs another pre-season to get his running up to AFL standard.

You aren't getting frustrated at them for inaction.

You are getting frustrated for things they haven't even done because those things can only happen in an undetermined future time.

Please tell me what things I am frustrated at them for since you are so familiar with my bibliography.

Beatson's revisit of the 2019 draft class is interesting. No mention of Gould lacking condition which seems to be a complaint on here. He said he needed to work on some defensive parts of his game this year. He's a competitor and Beatson looks forward to him debuting next year. Time everyone laid off the cheap fat jokes IMO. My guess is he's fitter than almost everyone on this site has ever been. Just a big boy, which we'll all be thankful for when he's muscling opposition players Reg-style.

Beatson said Stephens adjusted to the pace of AFL more as the year went progressed but needs to use his speed more.

Big step up from colts to AFL for Warner, who needs another pre-season to get his running up to AFL standards.

Anyone writing Gould and Warner off from their lack of senior opportunity last year is really jumping the gun.

Please tell me what things I am frustrated at them for since you are so familiar with my bibliography.
You are pissed off about what you anticipate the club doing in this upcoming draft. You have worked yourself up imagining all the ways they could piss you off by not seeing the situation exactly as you do, and repeated these scenarios to us all over and over again to the point where you act like they have already come to pass and your frustration is entirely justified.

You are pissed off about what you anticipate the club doing in this upcoming draft. You have worked yourself up imagining all the ways they could piss you off by not seeing the situation exactly as you do, and repeated these scenarios to us all over and over again to the point where you act like they have already come to pass and your frustration is entirely justified.

Okay I concede that I don't know for sure what the club will do in the upcoming draft, and that it is an irrational frustration given the draft hasn't even happened yet. But you realise the basis of that frustration is what I consider to be four years of mostly-wrong calls the club has made regarding the midfield? You act as if I want Phillips or Hollands because they have cool names or something, when the only reason I want them is actually based on the past four years, which I've been consistent about, and has been a slow burn. I'm not sure that reaching a conclusion that we desperately need an inside midfielder after four long years where we've declined, not improved, can be considered irrational.

But then of course, you don't agree with my assessment of our midfield, so you just don't get it. So then you call people irrational for seeing something that you don't see at all. And then round and round we go. When it could be avoided if you just weren't so bothered by and judgmental towards those who simply don't share an opinion you may have.

Okay I concede that I don't know for sure what the club will do in the upcoming draft, and that it is an irrational frustration given the draft hasn't even happened yet.

Good.

But you realise the basis of that frustration is what I consider to be four years of mostly-wrong calls the club has made regarding the midfield? You act as if I want Phillips or Hollands because they have cool names or something, when the only reason I want them is actually based on the past four years, which I've been consistent about, and has been a slow burn. I'm not sure that reaching a conclusion that we desperately need an inside midfielder after four long years where we've declined, not improved, can be considered irrational.

I don't think your focus on Phillips or Hollands is just because of their names. My only point, and I think you know this so I'm not sure why you are so obviously mischaracterising what I have said, is that particulary in a year when we have seen neither of them play, when other players have had greater exposure due to actually being able to play, it simply is not as possible for them to be as clear cut favourites for selection at our pick as you have made them out to be. You continually overstate both the certainty that these are the best players who will be available at our pick as well as the distance between them and the alternatives.

But then of course, you don't agree with my assessment of our midfield, so you just don't get it.

I don't entirely agree with your assessment of our midfield. I think we clearly have drafted with a focus on our midfield in the last few seasons, bringing in Florent, Rowbottom, Stephens and Warner who are all seen as either inside or combination inside/outside midfielders. However...

So then you call people irrational for seeing something that you don't see at all. And then round and round we go. When it could be avoided if you just weren't so bothered by and judgmental towards those who simply don't share an opinion you may have.

I didn't call you irrational for your opinion on the state of our midfield. I called you irrational for being pissed off at the club for messing up this draft before it has even happened.

It is true, we wouldn't keep going around and around on this point if I stopped expressing my opinion about your opinion. Of course, it could also be avoided if you stopped spamming this thread with your irrational certainties and anticipatory frustrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back