Essendon 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

We have one of the youngest and most inexperienced list demographics. Hawthorn have one of the oldest and most experienced.

I know which one I'd rather be coming in the bottom-6 with.

List demographics are one thing, but which young players are looking like *maybe* becoming A-graders outside of McGrath, Ridley and Draper?

Essendon traded away most of it's draft collateral over the past few years to obtain Shiel, Smith, Saad and Stringer, so they've largely been selecting from the later rounds from 2017-2019. Excluding the 2020 draft pool, who haven't had the opportunity to play a game to gauge their value, Essendon's young players look no better or worse than most teams.

Tbh I'd take Worpel, Day, Scrimshaw and Lewis over the guys I've listed above.

Interested organisational culture issue. Management communicated poorly, no trust, key managers poor people.persons?

This isn't an Essendon issue, it's a corporate management issue specific to an organisation that want to undertake big change in short amount of time.

Quite often, the more urgent the need to change, the more care you need to take when changing. Essendon leadership like many other falls into the trap of understanding change as chucking out the old and replace with the new. In reality, the process of change if not managed properly would set an example for the others and would directly affect the type of people you get into the club. The current essendon club would only attract the yes man type and the consequence is that in the current environment, the people there would only do enough to get their paycheck. No one would go extra steps to ensure the club is going in the right direction.

This isn't an Essendon issue, it's a corporate management issue specific to an organisation that want to undertake big change in short amount of time.

Quite often, the more urgent the need to change, the more care you need to take when changing. Essendon leadership like many other falls into the trap of understanding change as chucking out the old and replace with the new. In reality, the process of change if not managed properly would set an example for the others and would directly affect the type of people you get into the club. The current essendon club would only attract the yes man type and the consequence is that in the current environment, the people there would only do enough to get their paycheck. No one would go extra steps to ensure the club is going in the right direction.

Ultimately all this talk of club structure is overblown. If we want to lift premierships we need to draft Martin/Riewoldt/Lynch calibre players to build around. We haven't drafted elite players, the end. Our biggest issue is we have pridefully refused to tank.

Is he the worst in the business? Let history to decide for that. He certainly isn't anywhere near the best as far as the last decade is concerned.

The problem of his prescence is far reaching.

As stated, he is very hard to deal and this will result in many missed opportunities. Danniher saga should have been dealt with in 2019. Sydney was willing to trade 2 first picks, this should have been done there and then.

The coach's relation with player can also be a problem but the problem off the field is far greater.
Yeah but dodo wins every trade though.

I wouldn’t even waste my time trying to debate anything about Adrian dodoro with you as you are in complete denial. His and Essendons results over a long period of time and the current state of your list is all the evidence that’s needed. I hope you enjoy watching the bulldogs midfield this season Dunkley is looking in the best shape of career talk about making deals to benefit your club think about that when you’re midfield is getting absolutely smashed while Dunkley has a career best season

My thoughts and your ineptitude to acknowledge what Adrian has done is in Adrians own heed that you so eloquently frequented at its heights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is he the worst in the business? Let history to decide for that. He certainly isn't anywhere near the best as far as the last decade is concerned.

The problem of his prescence is far reaching.

As stated, he is very hard to deal and this will result in many missed opportunities. Danniher saga should have been dealt with in 2019. Sydney was willing to trade 2 first picks, this should have been done there and then.

The coach's relation with player can also be a problem but the problem off the field is far greater.

As has been spruiked enough, not winning a final is of no major concern to me. Nice and all to give (false) hope to supporters but premierships
Is where it’s at.

Dodoro wanted to do the deal to Sydney, Dan Richardson blocked it. Pretty common knowledge on BigFooty now.

List demographics are one thing, but which young players are looking like *maybe* becoming A-graders outside of McGrath, Ridley and Draper?

Essendon traded away most of it's draft collateral over the past few years to obtain Shiel, Smith, Saad and Stringer, so they've largely been selecting from the later rounds from 2017-2019. Excluding the 2020 draft pool, who haven't had the opportunity to play a game to gauge their value, Essendon's young players look no better or worse than most teams.

Your disadain for Essendon will never cease to amaze me.

Any sane, normal, well educated AFL supporter would take Ridley, McGrath, Draper over a run of the mill slow inside midfielder, flaky half back and a KPF who going into his 5th season is still not a walk up start in his sides best 22 despite looking like a clear bottom 3 candidate team.

Last edited:

You're always looking for A graders but realistically most good teams are mainly made up of a well coached group of B graders who stick to a solid game plan, with genuine stars sprinkled throughout the side. You mentioned Draper, Ridley, McGrath. Excluding anyone that hasnt played a game yet to be able to gauge their value... id add already best 22 players Langford, Parish, Caldwell, Redman, Francis and Wright as under 24's that you'd hope can be at least consistent B grade contributors in a well coached side. So thats 9 from the current best 22 are either 24ys old or younger. Mosquito looked promising on debut but is out for the year injured. Harry Jones and Archie Perkins are the most likely debutants to play regular senior footy this year. After that we've got a core of 25 - 27 yr olds in Merrett, Stewart, Smith, Shiel, Stringer and McDonald-Tipungwuti that theoretically could be still be around playing decent footy after a 3 year list overhaul. They'll have to do a lot of the heavy lifting during the rebuild though. Probably throw Heppell in that bunch as well. Much like Murphy, Thomas, Kreuzer, Gibbs, Casboult, Simpson and co during your rebuild.

Ultimately all this talk of club structure is overblown. If we want to lift premierships we need to draft Martin/Riewoldt/Lynch calibre players to build around. We haven't drafted elite players, the end. Our biggest issue is we have pridefully refused to tank.
Shouldn't underestimate how important it is to get off field right with everyone pulling in a clear and known direction

Martin at essendon would have nevered made it past a half decent player.

It took more than martin himself to become one of the G.O.A.T

If he was drafted by essendon at the end of 2009, he wouldn't be much better than stringer if not already delisted or left due to becoming disillusioned by the direction of the club and the leadership.

With the right club structure and personnel, elite talents will suddenly pop up when the club requires it.

Martin at essendon would have nevered made it past a half decent player.

It took more than martin himself to become one of the G.O.A.T

If he was drafted by essendon at the end of 2009, he wouldn't be much better than stringer if not already delisted or left due to becoming disillusioned by the direction of the club and the leadership.

With the right club structure and personnel, elite talents will suddenly pop up when the club requires it.

Wut?!

As has been spruiked enough, not winning a final is of no major concern to me. Nice and all to give (false) hope to supporters but premierships
Is where it’s at.

Dodoro wanted to do the deal to Sydney, Dan Richardson blocked it. Pretty common knowledge on BigFooty now.

Is where it’s at.

thats the problem with your theory you don’t go from rebuilding to winning a premiership with out the steps in between generally it’s a gradual build to contending you start buy making the 8 then buy actually winning a final or two then hopefully taking the next step so it’s pretty silly for you to turn your nose up at clubs just for making the finals without doing that your not winning a premiership are you !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your disadain for Essendon will never cease to amaze me.

Any sane, normal, well educated AFL supporter would take Ridley, McGrath, Draper over a run of the mill slow inside midfielder, flaky half back and a KPF who going into his 5th season is still not a walk up start in his sides best 22 despite looking like a clear bottom 3 candidate team.
And on the other hand you can have a run of the mill quick but not damaging outside mid, an intercept defender and a 22 year old big that has already done an ACL.

Will 2021 be the weakest Essendon team in the afl era ? NO forward line extremely average midfield and an aging backline
I agree with you.

My issue is this, Saints all of a sudden win a few games whilst beating a few sides above them last year. I just cant understand where your arrogance on this board has came from? Your club has won one, I repeat ONE single flag in it's history. A minnow football club. Just really struggling to understand. Your club will no doubt finish higher than Essendon, but the Saints will struggle against the good sides. I don't rate the Saints at all, results will show.

And on the other hand you can have a run of the mill quick but not damaging outside mid, an intercept defender and a 22 year old big that has already done an ACL.

Wut?
McGrath averaged more contested possessions than the over hyped James Worpel!
A top shelf trending intercept defender and a ruck on the same trajectory as Max Gawn at the same age.

Yeah, I’m content

thats the problem with your theory you don’t go from rebuilding to winning a premiership with out the steps in between generally it’s a gradual build to contending you start buy making the 8 then buy actually winning a final or two then hopefully taking the next step so it’s pretty silly for you to turn your nose up at clubs just for making the finals without doing that your not winning a premiership are you !

As I have mentioned numerous times, if you’re not first your last.

Why is Brad Scott under pressure at the Cats despite reaching the last 4 how many times in his tenure? No flags, that’s why.

As I have mentioned numerous times, if you’re not first your last.

Why is Brad Scott under pressure at the Cats despite reaching the last 4 how many times in his tenure? No flags, that’s why.

So Essendon hiding away in 11th is just as good as teams challenging last fortnight?

Two main things. The club needs to show soul. Demonstrate that it is a football club, not a spineless, hollow corporate identity. Off the top of my head there's a couple of ways this could happen:

Back our boys - Our blokes have been getting slaughtered by the umpires for years. Yes, I'm aware how this looks but IDGAF - it's true and the treatment we got last year was the worst I've seen. Diabolical. So when umpiring is poor to this extent, the CEO/President/Coach/Captain need to call it out. Let the players know that they have unwavering support behind them and we won't let this kind of crap go unchecked. Also, anytime the media attacks one of our players unjustly (or even when it's just), defend them.

Crank up the tough love - The clubs seems satisfied with simply making the eight. Sure, it's important to remain positive but it's also necessary to find an appropriate balance between remaining optimistic and taking corrective action against those that do not produce results. I imagine he was wired to give this sort of response but when we lost an elim to the Eagles in 2019 (a game that was over before half time) in a post match interview Orazio commented that the year was a success. Way to kick your suffering members in the guts. And the 'Trainer's Award' (given to the player who showed the most courtesy and appreciation to the training staff and volunteers) is embarrassing. Cut that sort of sh*t out.

Look at every year ever for Hawthorn for umpire treatment.

Even through all the #freekickhawthorn crap we routinely got less frees even when dominating.

For fun take a look at Buddy's for and against at Hawthorn and the Swans. Look at his suspensions too.

As for the other things you are correct. The legacy of Hird and the finals years of Sheedy still exist. Ego and boys club still reign.

So Essendon hiding away in 11th is just as good as teams challenging last fortnight?

You think Geelong supporters are happy with the last decade??

@Pure Ownage, what’s the feeling like? Would most cats supporters want more flags or you guys happy just making up the numbers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back