2021 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heeney coming along well, but we are absolutely kidding ourselves if we think Buddy is going to have any meaningful impact for us on the field this year, or ever again. Played at least 17 games in 13 of his first 14 seasons en route to 300 games and one of the all-time careers, insane durability and a massive achievement, but that would've taken a lot out of his body. He gets recurring injuries, then new ones pop up whenever he's recovering from the original injuries. The writing's on the wall.

Another way to look at it is if Buddy was an opposition player on the market at 34 years of age having only played 10 games in the last two years, would we as fans want him? We'd be saying he's cooked. We're obviously more polite about it because he is our champion and we have a right to be optimistic and hope for the best, but being optimistic and realistic are two different things.
So many on here see the glass half full. Call yourselves Swans suporters. Douting Buddy playing this year and next. Well I say regardless of what happens we are in for a big year. Sydney will push top eight into top 6 probably. Wait until you see the youth of Sydney push this side into contention. All these want to be supporters saying we can't. Get another side to support. I reckon we are up and about and ready to challenge.

So many on here see the glass half full. Call yourselves Swans suporters. Douting Buddy playing this year and next. Well I say regardless of what happens we are in for a big year. Sydney will push top eight into top 6 probably. Wait until you see the youth of Sydney push this side into contention. All these want to be supporters saying we can't. Get another side to support. I reckon we are up and about and ready to challenge.

I love your optimism and I'm even envious of it. I love our young talent and I love our future prospects of success. But you choosing to have rose-coloured glasses on and me choosing not to doesn't make you any better a supporter than me. We're all on the same side here at the end of the day.

I love your optimism and I'm even envious of it. I love our young talent and I love our future prospects of success. But you choosing to have rose-coloured glasses on and me choosing not to doesn't make you any better a supporter than me. We're all on the same side here at the end of the day.
Gee I didn't get that vibe from Bears post at all, I thought it was written with a bit of tongue in cheek type optimism.

Gee I didn't get that vibe from Bears post at all, I thought it was written with a bit of tongue in cheek type optimism.

Fair enough. I gathered from many of Bear's posts that they have a genuine optimism. In which case more power to him!

I've updated my 22 for Rd 1, I've omitted JMac as much as I love him and do see him in our best 22, he's still recovering from injury and hasn't really had a full preseason, expect to see him further on in the season. I would expect either Clarke or Hewett to tag Neale, however, i'd like to see us play in a way where the Lions have to adjust to stop us, I prefer a system where you play to your own best attributes. Wicks in the pocket as a genuine defensive fwd, he seems to be absolutely tearing it up this preseason so I'm expecting him to breakout, hearing good things about Ronke as well, i prefer to play fwds in the fwd line rather than transitioning mids, just my opinion. McLean should be looking to solidify his spot in the best 22. Sinclair on the bench as I think 2 rucks is the go with normal qtr lengths and less interchanges. Sinclair can also be an extra fwd target, especially if McCartin is going to be a defender. Fox deserves his spot in the side after an impressive end to last season. This squad has so much room for rotation and versatility, it'll be hard to put the same team out 2 rounds in a row. Seriously cannot wait for footy!

Capture.PNG

I've updated my 22 for Rd 1, I've omitted JMac as much as I love him and do see him in our best 22, he's still recovering from injury and hasn't really had a full preseason, expect to see him further on in the season. I would expect either Clarke or Hewett to tag Neale, however, i'd like to see us play in a way where the Lions have to adjust to stop us, I prefer a system where you play to your own best attributes. Wicks in the pocket as a genuine defensive fwd, he seems to be absolutely tearing it up this preseason so I'm expecting him to breakout, hearing good things about Ronke as well, i prefer to play fwds in the fwd line rather than transitioning mids, just my opinion. McLean should be looking to solidify his spot in the best 22. Sinclair on the bench as I think 2 rucks is the go with normal qtr lengths and less interchanges. Sinclair can also be an extra fwd target, especially if McCartin is going to be a defender. Fox deserves his spot in the side after an impressive end to last season. This squad has so much room for rotation and versatility, it'll be hard to put the same team out 2 rounds in a row. Seriously cannot wait for footy!

View attachment 1049785

That backline is looking superb, mids as well.

View attachment 1049785

Good stuff! Very cool layout too.

Hewett is a glaring omission though. He's in this team whether we need a tagger or not.

I'd also have McDonald in over Reid, and I'd swap him with McLean at FF. But that's me being pedantic:p

View attachment 1049785

I'd be surprised if not a single 2020 draftee broke into the best 22 pretty early into 2021. Not sure who it will be but one of Campbell, McDonald or Gulden will be in the team within the first 3 rounds, possibly round 1.

I'd be surprised if not a single 2020 draftee broke into the best 22 pretty early into 2021. Not sure who it will be but one of Campbell, McDonald or Gulden will be in the team within the first 3 rounds, possibly round 1.

I wouldn't be too surprised. All three fit into very hotly-contested roles within the team.

Campbell on a wing up against Stephens, McInerney, Clarke, Blakey and Florent.

Gulden as a small forward up against Wicks and Ronke.

McDonald as a key forward up against McLean, and more experienced guys like Sinclair and Reid.

Most of those named above are also youngsters who are probably better-placed to put in a great pre-season and earn their spots than the three recent draftees. Just because they might have the most talent and are the new faces we're most excited to see, doesn't necessarily mean they'll be the best prospects for those particular roles at the time of selection ahead of round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we aren't up to the challenge and he's right Buddy is cooked and will have as much impact as a Rohan in a final.

View attachment 1049785
Love the infographic, don't think we have a winning season in 2021 with Cunningham, Melican, Florent, Sinclair and Hayward in it in those allocated positions. Too many passengers there, but by goodness this club owes Sinclair a tip of the hat, he has given his all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back