Review Hawks v Dogs Practice Match, Wednesday 24th Feb 10.30am

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you not up with the way HODGEYROAD goes about it?

He only mostly says positive things about the Handbaggers or the Tiggers.

Pretty much every time he has even faint praise for anything the Hawks do, it’s always with the Doom and Gloom rider.

It’s why he and HAWKSBESTEVA, like each others posts so much.

You could point out the FACT that we are the most successful club in the Comp for a tad over the last half a century, and he would come back with “But we are sh*t now”

It’s almost like he has no clue how the Comp works and how being so good for so long comes with a price, and that price is a slow hard rebuild.

Just providing some encouragement, encouraging HRs happiness is my goal on this board. I'll carry him out of the 'Hawks realist' quagmire some day.

On reflection, I like how the Hawks went in a little top heavy (according the the discussions we had last year) but ended the game with their structures dominant over that of the Doggies.
Put some of the quality avaialable in the medical room back in and who knows?

And I dont wanna diss any hawk players, but its a nice change not having to debate what to do with Patto and Scully

Last edited:
Just providing some encouragement, encouraging HRs happiness is my goal on this board. I'll carry him out of the 'Hawks realist' quagmire some day.
But what if he doesn't want to be carried out?

Don't worry, he'll "call it as he sees it".

Which is ironic considering he didn't see the game yesterday.

Are you not up with the way HODGEYROAD goes about it?

He only mostly says positive things about the Handbaggers or the Tiggers.

Pretty much every time he has even faint praise for anything the Hawks do, it’s always with the Doom and Gloom rider.

It’s why he and HAWKSBESTEVA, like each others posts so much.

You could point out the FACT that we are the most successful club in the Comp for a tad over the last half a century, and he would come back with “But we are sh*t now”

It’s almost like he has no clue how the Comp works and how being so good for so long comes with a price, and that price is a slow hard rebuild.
On point. I knew there were others out there that had similar opinion.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Cj reminds me of Campbell Brown: in the sense that he's a bull at a gate, see ball, get ball or whoever has it... ....

Now once Brown had Hodge telling him what to do he became less "spontaneous".

Who do we have at Box Hill to yell at CJ, because he has it, if he can keep his impulses at bay a little better.

I can't see him cracking the forward line, in exactly the same role Cambell played, because we have others who will be preferred now.

But when injuries hit we have another kid who can come in, which adds to the depth of the squad, we're getting there.

Just need the young talls to take the next steps in their development.

Good luck with that.

You could send him an autographed copy of our 3 Peat DVD and he would come back with “C.Scott is a better coach than Clarko”

In his post he said “I will enjoyed the win because we will not win many games this year” ........... I dispute that.

I think he did not enjoy the win and in fact would have enjoyed us getting Flogged, much more.

Then he could continue on his “I told you we are s**t” crusade.

Last edited:
Cj reminds me of Campbell Brown: in the sense that he's a bull at a gate, see ball, get ball or whoever has it... ....

Now once Brown had Hodge telling him what to do he became less "spontaneous".

Who do we have at Box Hill to yell at CJ, because he has it, if he can keep his impulses at bay a little better.

I can't see him cracking the forward line, in exactly the same role Cambell played, because we have others who will be preferred now.

But when injuries hit we have another kid who can come in, which adds to the depth of the squad, we're getting there.

Just need the young talls to take the next steps in their development.
In the firsts Sic would have the guy to lead in the backline and maybe guide CJ. Maybe he can do it off field

I preferred her genuine excitement (even if it was directed a little one way) to BT's boring anecdotes, umpire bashing and low-witted drawl. Each to their own

She probably pronounced the names of the players she knew more correctly than BT, so points for that.

I feel like we had a pretty smart off season with recruitment (all things considered).

Hartigan didn’t look like a first year player at our club yesterday that’s for sure. Could be another unheralded pickup like Impey, Hendo and Frost who has come in and made a good impact for us. Much as I was never as negative about Chips as others were - I think he’ll fill in for him seamlessly and allow Greaves and DGB time to develop.

I don't get it...

I thought the commentary was good for what it was.

People need to relax.

Yeah, commentating is a hard skill and you've gotta let people learn somewhere. I reckon a scratch match broadcast to probably ~1k (?) people is a good place to throw a young person in and let them learn, be bad and make mistakes. She fell back on clichés and didn't have too much knowledge of the depth players. But she mostly kept up the momentum of the call and I reckon that's the hard part.

I was actually surprised there was any commentary. Was just expecting the game sounds.

Yeah, commentating is a hard skill and you've gotta let people learn somewhere. I reckon a scratch match broadcast to probably ~1k (?) people is a good place to throw a young person in and let them learn, be bad and make mistakes. She fell back on clichés and didn't have too much knowledge of the depth players. But she mostly kept up the momentum of the call and I reckon that's the hard part.

I was actually surprised there was any commentary. Was just expecting the game sounds.
They didn’t get the team list with player numbers until late. For the reserve game I think it was after the seniors. Hence one of the people on the broadcast wished her luck as it was a tough gig.

Far too many people don't understand how much of a skill commentating is. It's not just talking into a microphone, it is descriptive, spontaneous, reactive talking and it's not something that "just anybody" can do.

I had no problems overall with the commentary. My only criticisms would be that far too frequently both commentators would end sentences with an upward vocal inflection (which does annoy me) and start too many sentences with the adverb "So".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hartigan didn’t look like a first year player at our club yesterday that’s for sure. Could be another unheralded pickup like Impey, Hendo and Frost who has come in and made a good impact for us. Much as I was never as negative about Chips as others were - I think he’ll fill in for him seamlessly and allow Greaves and DGB time to develop.

Might be better one on one than Frawley, but not as quick defending the lead. Seemed pretty composed, which was a pleasant surprise - my crows mate said he is prone to howlers.

Far too many people don't understand how much of a skill commentating is. It's not just talking into a microphone, it is descriptive, spontaneous, reactive talking and it's not something that "just anybody" can do.

I had no problems overall with the commentary. My only criticisms would be that far too frequently both commentators would end sentences with an upward vocal inflection (which does annoy me) and start too many sentences with the adverb "So".

Give me that over vocal fry any day. At least its an Aussie thing

I preferred her genuine excitement (even if it was directed a little one way) to BT's boring anecdotes, umpire bashing and low-witted drawl. Each to their own
Did you like her "Ollie Hanarahan is a tall marking forward" or "kicked into the man on the mark", when it was a simple in play kick that was smothered, or every other thing she said because frankly she didn't say anything correct. Neither did her colleague, it was like they had never seen a game before and just wrote down things commentators said and read them out.

Did you like her "Ollie Hanarahan is a tall marking forward" or "kicked into the man on the mark", when it was a simple in play kick that was smothered, or every other thing she said because frankly she didn't say anything correct. Neither did her colleague, it was like they had never seen a game before and just wrote down things commentators said and read them out.
Don't get me wrong, I reckon she made a lot of mistakes. But she provided commentary on the flow of play, whilst trying to put in small amounts of flavour as opposed to making mindless conversation with her co-commentators. She also isn't getting paid the same way that c7 commentators were- if her ability scaled with her pay then if she was getting paid the same as the c7 team she'd be better than Dennis Cometti after a bump of coke.

Are people seriously going this hard at bagging amateur commentators on what was a pretty great quality livestream of an unofficial pre-season scratch match?

The level of coverage for the games yesterday was amazing. Go back a couple years and we'd be lucky to get a half decent highlights package a few days afterwards.

If you had to pay for this stream (which you didn't, even with your membership) then sure, but this was an awesome freebie. And if you hated the commentators that much you could have just muted it. It's not like you were going to miss out on crowd noise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back