Review Hawks v Dogs Practice Match, Wednesday 24th Feb 10.30am

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see 2021 being a promising but frustrating year, where we trial the new up-and-comers and blend them in with the experienced heads, yet I don't think we'll quite be able to work our game plan as effectively as we'd like due to our skill set. Pressure teams such as Richmond really should pummel us if we can't hit targets, but I suppose it's all part of the learning curve.

Lots of positives from this hit out, which I think we all needed.

Others have already mentioned but McEvoy in the ruck! Thank Christ.

Our want to attack fast off half back looks to be our attacking strength.

With Impey, Day and CJ looking to run and create we look dangerous when it comes off.

3 tall forwards and dangerous smalls at their feet can work if we can transition the ball fast and clean enough.

O'brien and Hanrahan look in good nick and might be ready to ditch the wipping boy tags. Fast delivery into the F50 will make a world of difference for these 2.

The kids showed something and hopefully will show more glimpses this week.

Last edited:

Before last year, when we got our defensive systems in place we were very difficult to score against, we just couldn't hit the scoreboard ourselves going the other way. It seemed to me that after half time we once again put that system in place and the freedogs had nowhere to go.

I could be imagining it ?

Before last year, when we got our defensive systems in place we were very difficult to score against, we just couldn't hit the scoreboard ourselves going the other way. It seemed to me that after half time we once again put that system in place and the freedogs had nowhere to go.

I doubt you're imagining it. It's a pattern Clarko has taken with developing the team previously, and with individual players for a long time. Learn to defend first and then work on attack.

Once they started to tire and stopped flogging us in contests our structures became more effective.

I think there are many positives from this game. It was a practice match so I'll temper expectations a bit.

I liked the team selection and which players were playing what positions. Last year I felt that we were forcing players to play a specific role as opposed to what came more naturally to them. This time around, we got to see players in their best positions which was good to see.

Considering that we have Burgyone, Shiels, Sicily*, Gunston, Scrimshaw and Mitchell to come into the side, it will only be a positive.

I was skeptical earlier in the year but I think we might have something with Koschitzke up forward. Looks quite imposing. Him and Lewis taking contested marks has me pretty excited!

Downie has started the year off very nicely. Brockman is still a bit green but he has "it". I cannot understate the importance of Maginness, Reeves, Greaves and Grainger-Barras improving. There are important spots in the side up for the taking, I'm hoping these guys will fill them sooner rather than later.

I have very low expectations of DGB, Maginness and Reeves. Barring injury I don’t see them getting much of a look in this year considering previous coaches comments highlighting their areas for improvement.

What I enjoyed the most from the game was the coaching aspect. 3 tall forwards allows O’Brien et al to have a match up more accomodating to his strengths.

The higher number of players used through the midfield and the focus of moving the ball quicker was what excited me the most.

I’m afraid the new on the mark rule may sway clubs to get more players behind the ball. Outside runners and the ability to move the ball forward accurately at speed will be a massive weapon if developed correctly.

Our centre clearance and clearance wins in general are my greatest at concern going into the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the fact that we won papered over a lot of cracks in the Hawthorn team.
We seem to be on the way to fixing our forward line which is great.
As for our midfield, well it doesn't seem to have improved at all.
It puts enormous pressure on our backline.
Entering the forward line from our backline seems to be our most common form of attack.
We have a long way to go.

Once they started to tire and stopped flogging us in contests our structures became more effective.

Yeah, but either way our structure allows us to weather the storm really well - but in an ideal world you wouldn't be getting half as many clearances as your oppo.

I think the fact that we won papered over a lot of cracks in the Hawthorn team.
We seem to be on the way to fixing our forward line which is great.
As for our midfield, well it doesn't seem to have improved at all.
It puts enormous pressure on our backline.
Entering the forward line from our backline seems to be our most common form of attack.
We have a long way to go.

I don't think it papered over the cracks, a common theme in this thread was our midfield still being not great. No one is under any illusions about that.

The fact that the structures still held up to a large degree despite it, and without two of our best midfielders, is a positive.

Yeah, but either way our structure allows us to weather the storm really well - but in an ideal world you wouldn't be getting half as many clearances as your oppo.
Midfield is the Bulldogs bread and butter though. We were missing Mitchell and we were throwing a lot of new names through the middle. Scope for improvement for us in the middle is quite large given more exposure for those new faces.

The problems with our midfield were not so much individuals winning the ball, it was moving the ball constructively out of stoppages into 'clear air'. Quick hands to advantage, players positioning to be next in the chain, etc etc

We were pretty ordinary.

I would say this is a question of system and 'synergy' between the group of midfielders as a whole, rather than the individual talents of the players we have there. This is a coaching issue.

Lots of positives from this hit out, which I think we all needed.

Others have already mentioned but McAvoy in the ruck! Thank Christ.

Our want to attack fast off half back looks to be our attacking strength.

With Impey, Day and CJ looking to run and create we look dangerous when it comes off.

3 tall forwards and dangerous smalls at their feet can work if we can transition the ball fast and clean enough.

O'brien and Hanrahan look in good nick and might be ready to ditch the wipping boy tags. Fast delivery into the F50 will make a world of difference for these 2.

The kids showed something and hopefully will show more glimpses this week.

Hill Smiss and Cyril (of course) used to feed on those balls to space too

The best bit of launching attacks from HB is there is more space up forward. I reckon our forwards will need to be mobile to double back inside 50 (which they mostly are)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problems with our midfield were not so much individuals winning the ball, it was moving the ball constructively out of stoppages into 'clear air'. Quick hands to advantage, players positioning to be next in the chain, etc etc

We were pretty ordinary.

I would say this is a question of system and 'synergy' between the group of midfielders as a whole, rather than the individual talents of the players we have there. This is a coaching issue.
That's good news.

A coaching issue is fixable as we go.

We were pretty ordinary.

Do we have a new mids coach this year too? From what I saw the midfield improvement as the game went on was not so much our midfield creativity, but figuring out what the dogs were doing and negating that.

We were pretty ordinary.

Mitchell, JOM, worpel, shiels and BB/ceglar have now been together For 3-4 years - that’s ample time to develop synergy.

Unless our coaching is hopeless (unlikely) I think there’s a material personnel issue as well.

All of Mitchell, JOM and worpels natural instincts is to hunt the ball - rather than making space to be the 2/3rd link in the chain. We’re obviously spending time on worpel now but for Tom/JOM the instincts are pretty hard wired (while shiels has had all attacking flair coached out of him over a decade of being a defensive mid). Given none are lightening quick even the slightest delay in getting to right spot makes a difference.

Our midfield lacks players the quality of Bont or Bailey Smith.

These players can break from stoppages then draw players to them creating opportunities to link up with free team mates on the outside. It takes speed and skill.

Clarko is coaching with one hand tied and trying to find a way. I noticed Breust spent plenty of time at centre bounces. With his skill set he should be capable of this in theory.

Mitchell, JOM, worpel, shiels and BB/ceglar have now been together For 3-4 years - that’s ample time to develop synergy.

Unless our coaching is hopeless (unlikely) I think there’s a material personnel issue as well.

All of Mitchell, JOM and worpels natural instincts is to hunt the ball - rather than making space to be the 2/3rd link in the chain. We’re obviously spending time on worpel now but for Tom/JOM the instincts are pretty hard wired (while shiels has had all attacking flair coached out of him over a decade of being a defensive mid). Given none are lightening quick even the slightest delay in getting to right spot makes a difference.
Wingard.

It's been the obvious answer for 2 years (barring when building fitness on return from injury).

Yeah the modern game is genuinely difficult to comment on given the scrappiness and lack of clear possession in large chunks.

One thing I will say, Channel 7 needs to pivot towards Jason Bennett as one of their main commentators. His coverage of the AFL games he's been given and most of the televised VFL games has been very good for a long time.

He has the Fox Footy B game voice for mine.

I was very encouraged by Downie and Brockman. Both are physically ready, clean, composed, and classy.

Brockman didn’t get a heap of touches but very clean in traffic and around contests.

Downie is looking like a huge bargain. Already a very rounded package and I can see him inflicting some real damage during the course of this year.

Hey guys, I recorded the game & have uploaded it to youtube if you want to have a watch of it.

Mods, delete if not allowed.

*EDIT*
Hawks have uploaded it to their website under the video section (Hawks v Dogs Game) which will definitely be a better quality than my link. Will keep mine up though for now if people are wanting to watch it through Youtube as the Hawks channel hasn't uploaded it yet.

Last edited:
I have very low expectations of DGB, Maginness and Reeves. Barring injury I don’t see them getting much of a look in this year considering previous coaches comments highlighting their areas for improvement.

What I enjoyed the most from the game was the coaching aspect. 3 tall forwards allows O’Brien et al to have a match up more accomodating to his strengths.

The higher number of players used through the midfield and the focus of moving the ball quicker was what excited me the most.

I’m afraid the new on the mark rule may sway clubs to get more players behind the ball. Outside runners and the ability to move the ball forward accurately at speed will be a massive weapon if developed correctly.

Our centre clearance and clearance wins in general are my greatest at concern going into the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maginness is ready for the RR position, an could play seniors in that role. Hawks are trying to develop him as a wingman.

Maginness is ready for the RR position, an could play seniors in that role. Hawks are trying to develop him as a wingman.

Don't understand that. his strength seems to be in the contest with Philips, Morrison, Downie and Shiels on the wings...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back