Preview Round 1: Essendon vs Hawthorne, Docklands, Saturday 20/03/21 @ 7:25 PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id prefer Redman in than Ned. Happy with how Neds tracking but got outbodied and beaten a few times in contested situations. If fit id back Redman to bounce back from last year and lock down a back flank. Ham or Guelfi for the last spot on the bench is a coin toss for me. Ham does some good things outside the contest and has bulked up a bit. Guelfi is more of a small utility but the physicality is always there. He bobs up for good moments in the heat of a contest.

It did ok against the Cats, who had a strong side in. Hooker can go back if needed. Probably prefer Redman in the 22. Maybe Cahill is the sub.

Stewart did play the first 3 quarters.

Big difference sending that monster down to full back over BZT.

Id prefer Redman in than Ned. Happy with how Neds tracking but got outbodied and beaten a few times in contested situations. If fit id back Redman to bounce back from last year and lock down a back flank. Ham or Guelfi for the last spot on the bench is a coin toss for me. Ham does some good things outside the contest and has bulked up a bit. Guelfi is more of a small utility but the physicality is always there. He bobs up for good moments in the heat of a contest.

Not even sure how Cahill in defence over Redman has become a thing. Cahill's done jack shit back there. The best thing that could be said about Cahill's performances in defence is that he has not yet built any form of expectation, the failure to satisfy, which could lead to any disappointment.

It's not even like he has any attributes that excite back there such that we should want to carry him to get him comfortable which could set off some Saad style blistering run off half back. Happy for him to add the string to his bow but want to actually see something, or even just the potential of something, before seeing him play AFL.

The Redman of 2018 and 2019 was a gun. He's so clearly in as a best 22 player it doesn't even bear discussions unless fitness is an issue.

I wonder how tempted we are to send Hooker back with Stewart and Hurley out.
Would certainly straighten us up but likely cause the mirror issue down the other end.

Luckily for us Hawthorns talls are O'Brien and Koschitzke all but confirmed with Lewis unlikely cause of back spasms. Gunston missing obviously as well

I trust Francis, Zerk and Laverde can cover those guys, the problem is we are a while off getting Ambrose or Stewart back....

I wonder how tempted we are to send Hooker back with Stewart and Hurley out.
Would certainly straighten us up but likely cause the mirror issue down the other end.

Luckily for us Hawthorns talls are O'Brien and Koschitzke all but confirmed with Lewis unlikely cause of back spasms. Gunston missing obviously as well

I trust Francis, Zerk and Laverde can cover those guys, the problem is we are a while off getting Ambrose or Stewart back....

Hawthorn should be OK, but Port with Dixon we don't really have a match-up for without Stewart, he's too strong for any of the others. Laverde did some good things against Hawkins, but i'm not convinced he'd be able to hold his own in a real match against those kinds of guys.

Let alone simply not having an AFL ready defender who can play on the Kings / Mackay / Lynch sized guys.

Hawthorn should be OK, but Port with Dixon we don't really have a match-up for without Stewart, he's too strong for any of the others. Laverde did some good things against Hawkins, but i'm not convinced he'd be able to hold his own in a real match against those kinds of guys.

Let alone simply not having an AFL ready defender who can play on the Kings / Mackay / Lynch sized guys.
Also it was a practice match.

Not even sure how Cahill in defence over Redman has become a thing. Cahill's done jack sh*t back there. The best thing that could be said about Cahill's performances in defence is that he has not yet built any form of expectation, the failure to satisfy, which could lead to any disappointment.

It's not even like he has any attributes that excite back there such that we should want to carry him to get him comfortable which could set off some Saad style blistering run off half back. Happy for him to add the string to his bow but want to actually see something, or even just the potential of something, before seeing him play AFL.

The Redman of 2018 and 2019 was a gun. He's so clearly in as a best 22 player it doesn't even bear discussions unless fitness is an issue.
Redman was one of the best in the VFL game against Richmond so dont think fitness is an issue. Hopefully the coaches back him in and he bounces back. It was a luxury being able to pencil him in hbf 2019 and not really have to think about it.

Not even sure how Cahill in defence over Redman has become a thing. Cahill's done jack sh*t back there. The best thing that could be said about Cahill's performances in defence is that he has not yet built any form of expectation, the failure to satisfy, which could lead to any disappointment.

Redman a gun? He finds a way to turnover the ball every time he finds it. Although his more suited than Cahill at this point in time, he is by no means a "gun" what ever year you want to look at it

Redman a gun? He finds a way to turnover the ball every time he finds it. Although his more suited than Cahill at this point in time, he is by no means a "gun" what ever year you want to look at it
Of all the things you can criticize Redman for, you choose his disposal? Interesting call.

So I guess that means no Bryan, Perkins or Waterman or else they'd have been included with the debutants. Also means no Reid, Hird, Eyre, Brand, Johnson, McBride (probably unsurprising in most cases).

So the guys who played the second pre-season game, less Bryan, Perkins and Waterman (and Stewart – injured) makes 22. Could still be other changes I guess.

Peter Wright
Nick Hind
Jye Caldwell
Harrison Jones
Nikolas Cox
Cale Hooker
Dylan Shiel
Dyson Heppell
Devon Smith
Zach Merrett
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
Darcy Parish
Martin Gleeson
Kyle Langford
Andrew McGrath
Jayden Laverde
Aaron Francis
Jordan Ridley
Will Snelling
Brayden Ham
Sam Draper
Ned Cahill

Last edited:
So I guess that means no Bryan, Perkins or Waterman or else they'd have been included with the debutants. Also means no Reid, Hird, Eyre, Brand, Johnson, McBride (probably unsurprising in most cases).

So the guys who played the second pre-season game, less Bryan, Perkins and Waterman makes 22. Could still be other changes I guess.

Peter Wright
Nick Hind
Jye Caldwell
Harrison Jones
Nikolas Cox
Cale Hooker
Dylan Shiel
Dyson Heppell
Devon Smith
Zach Merrett
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
Darcy Parish
Martin Gleeson
Kyle Langford
Andrew McGrath
Jayden Laverde
Aaron Francis
Jordan Ridley
Will Snelling
Brayden Ham
Sam Draper
Ned Cahill
Hmm. I'd be guessing BZT and probably Redman in for Gleeson

So, at a guess from our round 18 outing last year against the Dees its

Out: Saad, Daniher, Clarke, Guelfi, Stewart, Hurley, Gleeson, Cutler, Redman, Stringer
In: Hind, Wright, Caldwell, Cox, Cahill, Hooker, Francis, McGrath, Heppell, Jones

The power of love and friendship is also a big in

Last edited:

Hawks aren't quite offering up Hawkins / Cameron as the key offensive threat either.

Out: Saad, Daniher, Clarke, Guelfi, Laverde, Gleeson, Cutler, Redman, Stringer
In: Hind, Wright, Caldwell, Cox, Hooker, Francis, McGrath, Heppell, Jones

What happened to The Guelf? Is he injured? Have been a fan of his. Would rather he play than Cahill at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laverde would be in no?

I’d expect at least one of Guelfi, Laverde and Redman to hold their spot. Probably 2 of them. Maybe even all 3.

I'm all for it.

Cancer out.

LET LOVE RULE!

I’d expect at least one of Guelfi, Laverde and Redman to hold their spot. Probably 2 of them. Maybe even all 3.
Guelfi isn't an incumbant right now.

Any theories on why he lost his spot in practice matches? He was among the best in the first half vs Carlton. Then for some reason has been overtaken by an underwhelming Cahill.
I’m 99% sure he was injured for the Geelong game. Don’t quote me on that though.

Any theories on why he lost his spot in practice matches? He was among the best in the first half vs Carlton. Then for some reason has been overtaken by an underwhelming Cahill.
Because Cahill has the potential to overtake him very quickly and we're more invested in 3 years from now rather than this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back