Preview Round 1: Essendon vs Hawthorne, Docklands, Saturday 20/03/21 @ 7:25 PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that Reid can play early. Yes he will lack muscle but with his relative speed and ridiculous height/reach he should still be able to impact contests.

I'm in full play the kids mode, not for any real logical reason. Cox, Perkins and Reid have elite traits by all accounts.....sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and play the talent.
I'd be thinking ahead a bit re round 2 also here. Can't see us playing Reid against Power so I would get a game into BZT this week to help get him ready for the Power. You can argue that means to play Reid this week but I think BZT needs a game.

I'd be thinking ahead a bit re round 2 also here. Can't see us playing Reid against Power so I would get a game into BZT this week to help get him ready for the Power. You can argue that means to play Reid this week but I think BZT needs a game.
TBH I reckon Reid has as much chance of stopping Dixon as BZT does! Probably throw Hooker back that week and just play Reid on someone else.

I would prefer to go small, than play Reid or BZT if they are not ready.

What is Hawthorn going to do? Kick to marking contests with Ridley lurking?

I would prefer to go small, than play Reid or BZT if they are not ready.

What is Hawthorn going to do? Kick to marking contests with Ridley lurking?

They're shit enough to do it.

Speaking of the shitness of Hawthorne- those ****ing spuds gave up currency that could have easily been ALL of Ollie Florent, Aaron Naughton and Tom De Koning when they traded for O’Meara.

And then they have the nerve to release this propaganda shit:

Best midfielders in the league? I’d have thought one of the best midfielders in the league would’ve finished inside the top 20 of the Brownlow at least once.

Pathetic club.

Speaking of the shitness of Hawthorne- those ******* spuds gave up currency that could have easily been ALL of Ollie Florent, Aaron Naughton and Tom De Koning when they traded for O’Meara.

And then they have the nerve to release this propaganda sh*t:

Best midfielders in the league? I’d have thought one of the best midfielders in the league would’ve finished inside the top 20 of the Brownlow at least once.

Pathetic club.
Dunno. Some people thought he'd never play again, especially with the Hawks approach to his recovery, so maybe they've come out in front.

The way we could integrate Reid into the team would be to play him as the looser role at half back. Use Francis, Laverde and Ridley to play tighter.

Reid can then be the support with his giant reach.
I imagine playing Reid on the newest/youngest tall in the opposition side. I think for Hawks that will be that Koschitzke guy. But playing him against a side like the Eagles (and maybe Port) if all their talls are experienced, could be a problem unless he is more advanced than i expect (especially having missed last year essentially).

The way we could integrate Reid into the team would be to play him as the looser role at half back. Use Francis, Laverde and Ridley to play tighter.

Reid can then be the support with his giant reach.
Im keen to ensure Ridley can play as an accountable defender not just a zone off only guy, so I don’t mind this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bombers twitter saying Jones, Cox, Caldwell, Wright and Hind will all play
So no Waterman. Hmm. Perhaps:

FB: Francis - Zerk-Thatcher - Hind
HB: Cahill - Ridley - Heppell
MF: Langford - Caldwell - Merrett
HF: Smith - Jones - Snelling
FF: Wright - Hooker - Walla
OB: Draper - McGrath - Parish
IC: Shiel - Cox - Ham - Laverde
Sub: Redman

Ironically Cox would make the perfect sub.

Good runner and can play forward, back or wing.

Glad he is making his debut outright though
The key is that he's a good endurance runner rather than explosive pace.

So no Waterman. Hmm. Perhaps:

FB: Francis - Zerk-Thatcher - Hind
HB: Cahill - Ridley - Heppell
MF: Langford - Caldwell - Merrett
HF: Smith - Jones - Snelling
FF: Wright - Hooker - Walla
OB: Draper - McGrath - Parish
IC: Shiel - Cox - Ham - Laverde
Sub: Redman

God our backline looks sooo bad with this set up.

God our backline looks sooo bad with this set up.

Seems to be a bob each way rather than really leaning into the strengths that we have to masks the weakness. If it were up to me I’d pick 2 genuine key backs (probably Zerk and Reid given the attrition at the moment) and give them as much aerial support as possible.

Francis as the 3rd tall, Ridley and Heppell playing small, Cox working hard back as the defensive winger. Intercept everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back