Autopsy Round 1, 2021 = Pies 53-69 Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the fu** would he sign a new contract when he was getting paid 600k on his current Collingwood one? What utter bullshit
When did his contract with us expire? If it was this season, then he may have for longevity if signed a new 3 year deal and allowed the trade. I have no idea but that’s a potential scenario

Robbing Peter to pay Paul by moving Moore forward. In this case, you'd be taking arguably the best defender in the competition (in my opinion he's number 1) and hoping he can replicate that form up forward. Bit like what we've done with Naughton, except in Moore's case it's not taking a potential star away from defence, it's taking a genuine established star away from defence.

Moore was BOG last night in my opinion, or at the very least equal with Bailey Smith. He makes the Pies so much more difficult to score against, and moving him forward might result in a couple extra goals each game, but could mean conceding even more than that.

Despite some of the criticism he's copped as usual, I thought Cox played very well up forward. 15 touches, 2 goals, 4 contested marks is a good return from a key forward. And despite Mihocek seeming much quieter than usual, he still managed 2 goals himself. It's the smalls that underperformed up forward, not the talls.

Cox was one of our best, competed well in the air and took a few big grabs, he's a better tap ruckmen than Grundy too.

Kick two goals, take a few contested marks and chop out in the ruck, all he needs to do to be an extremely valuable player.

When did his contract with us expire?

Does it matter? It's not like hes desperate for an extra year because he's worried about getting delisted. His Collingwood contract was EXTRMELEY generous to him, there's no way in hell he, or his management, would just give that up and sign a worse one, bizarre.

Yes but Grundys 1 mil starts this year amoung other contracts we don't know of that were rolled over.

Word is we are still quite tight but no longer over it which is where we were last year before trades were done.
I think when negotiating his contract it would have taken into consideration the existing playing group. So I doubt it was a case of being forced to unload $1m to fit him in. In fact, Grundy was probably already on $400k before the new contract and if it was that tight, why did they enquire about Merrett?

I think you need to go back and read the thread for context - bottom line is Coaches in their last year of contract focus on self preservation which means they are risk averse.
That’s were the debate started - my last post needs to be viewed in that context.

Wasn’t much self preservation for Buckley during the off season. If you were Buckley and worried about another contract you wouldn’t have wanted Treloar, Stevo and a bunch of draft picks out the door for pretty much no return.

As well as no one coming into the club, finish 8th then lose those guys isn’t a way of working your way up the ladder.

Wasn’t much self preservation for Buckley during the off season. If you were Buckley and worried about another contract you wouldn’t have wanted Treloar, Stevo and a bunch of draft picks out the door for pretty much no return.

As well as no one coming into the club, finish 8th then lose those guys isn’t a way of working your way up the ladder.

Buckley had no choice in those players leaving, we were massively over the salary cap..

If his fitness is down, play him in bursts on the wing, resting forward pocket. His footy brain and sheer natural skill make him a dangerous option in both positions.
rotate daicos with sidebottom and elliot thru wing fwd pocket and on ball

Cap and trading are not in Buckleys control - I'm sure if it was then Treloar at a minimum would have stayed.

I think when negotiating his contract it would have taken into consideration the existing playing group. So I doubt it was a case of being forced to unload $1m to fit him in. In fact, Grundy was probably already on $400k before the new contract and if it was that tight, why did they enquire about Merrett?

Yes i realise his old contract would be already part but 600k (at a guess no way he was on 400k) to 1mil adds 400k.
That knocks out Phillips (300-400k after our payment),
600k for treloar left and
450 to 600k for Stepho depending on who you believe.

Other deals also increased and expected big offer for Moore and Degoey.

Maybe a million free but expected increases to Moore and Degoey could see that largely swallowed leading into 22.

Who told you that? I can only tell you what I heard. Came direct from the Phillips camp. I know no more than that.

So basically we are paying him out partially the final year of his contract with us?
I wouldn't get why we would be paying part of his new 3 year contract with the Hawks. Just doesn't make any sense. Also factoring in we only took a 4th round selection for him.

Good on you for sticking fat when the club isn't going well.

It's completely self-induced, it's not as if we've just fallen on bad times or something. We've made god awful decision after god awful decision and yet we continue to stick fat with those that are responsible. Supporters have very few genuine ways of actually making their voices heard so if long term members are being pushed to this point, that's on the club, not the member.

The concept of just 'sticking fat' with the club regardless of the circumstances and decisions being made is whats led us to this position. We've blindly followed the whims of Eddie and his band of jokers for way too long now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why the fu** would he sign a new contract when he was getting paid 600k on his current Collingwood one? What utter bullshit

Collingwood traded Stephenson to North Melbourne for effectively an extra second-round pick which was used in the Treloar deal, while Phillips was offloaded to Hawthorn for pick 60. Phillips had one more year to run on a contract worth more than $550,000 and Stephenson's was on a three-year deal worth over $500,000 a year. Phillips will get a two or three-year deal at Hawthorn on lower money and Stephenson a five-year deal on reduced terms at North.

So basically we are paying him out partially the final year of his contract with us?
I wouldn't get why we would be paying part of his new 3 year contract with the Hawks. Just doesn't make any sense. Also factoring in we only took a 4th round selection for him.

It definitely makes sense, we could almost qualify as a charity organisation these days. I wouldn't be surprised if we are paying Atu Bosenavulagi's wage.

It definitely makes sense, we could almost qualify as a charity organisation these days. I wouldn't be surprised if we are paying Atu Bosenavulagi's wage.
Well we do a lot for charity.

A lot on here saying 'we'll be ok' yet in the same post saying 'we won't be a contender'. How is that ok? Isn't that the objective?

Y'know, it's a competition, meant to be better than the competition. That is the objective no?

It's not f*n ok!! We've just thrown yet another window out the f*n window and somehow that's ok!?

Are we the ain'ts and the chalet dweller dees fans now? We just accept mediocrity now? Meanwhile the blose and bombouts will pass us by this year, the mob over the rail line will probably win it again, yet that's ok.

Nah FO! It's not f*n ok!
Lots of positives to come out of last nights game IMO, heaps of players were down and we still kept coming.

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game - I didn't post these last season, so if you haven't seen these before, these are a summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids (inside + wings) at bounces.

Overall Summary - 20 Bounces

T.Brown 17 wing
Adams 16
Pendlebury 13 (1w)
Crisp 13 (7w, 6i)
Sier 12
de Goey 8
Noble 7 wing
Elliott 5
Daicos 5 (4w, 1i)
WHE 4 wing

Rucks

Grundy 19
Cox 1

Centre Clearances (8-11)

Adams 3
Crisp 2
Pendles 1
Sier 1
Cox 1

By Quarter - Q1

T.Brown 5 wing
Noble 5 wing
Pendles 5
Adams 3
de Goey 3
Sier 2
Elliott 2

Q2

Adams 6
Crisp 6 (4w, 2i)
T.Brown 5 wing
Sier 5
Pendles 4
WHE 2 wing
Noble 1 wing
Elliott 1

Q3

T.Brown 4 wing
Adams 4
Pendles 4 (1w)
Crisp 3 wing
Sier 3
de Goey 3
Noble 1 wing
Elliott 1
Daicos 1
WHE 1 wing

Q4

Daicos 4 wing
Crisp 4
T.Brown 3 wing
Adams 3
Sier 2
de Goey 2
Elliott 1
WHE 1 wing

Footscray didn't win this game. Collingwood lost it. The squandered chances were everything. The enormous possession differential is meaningless in scoring terms.
1. The game strategy and the tactics used by Collingwood were correct. The were plenty of opportunities provided to the forwards, and the defenders held their ground throughout the game.
2. The skill errors that cost Collingwood the game came from the experienced players. The dropped marks and poor passes were rarely from the newer players.
3. Henry was not ready. His nervousness was palpable on screen even. Dropping him might damage his confidence further. What to do.
4. The biggest problem for the team is the centre bounce. As has been the case for many years, Collingwood does not clear the ball from the centre often or well. Whoever is responsible for what happens there needs to change his approach or be replaced. We have been vulnerable there for years, sometimes with an elite bunch of players in there, and sometimes like yesterday with a weak line up. Since the personnel have no effect, it must be the methods. As a ball watcher, I don't really understand the fine points of centre square work, but the coach in charge of that line doesn't seem to either.
5. Like our players, the umpires were subject to a lot of skill errors. Pushes in the back were adjudicated in a very random way, and geography seemed to be quite a problem. More than a dozen sub 10m kicks were awared as marks, half a dozen got a play on, and Maynard ran a good 30m from full back without a bounce or a penalty.
6. Players deliberately dragging opponents into the prohibited zone should not be rewarded. In our game they were. In the Richmond game I heard the umpire tell the players to"take him out" when they appealed for those 50's. I also noticed that the players completely ignore that instruction, but at least no undeserved 50's were given.
7. Daicos does not belong in the forward pocket at this stage in his career.
8. Tyler Brown showed a bit.
9. Ruscoe didn't.
10. Grundy was patchy.
11. Moore was brilliant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back