Preview Round 5: Brisbane vs Essendon, Gabba, Saturday 17/04/2021 @ 7:25 PM AEST

Aaaaaaaaaaaand the winner is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why people complain about interstate trips, I'd rather have all 5 or 6 out of the way in the first 10 rounds then have 12 games in a row in Melbourne to finish the season.

Good bringing the same effort and intent two weeks in a row, but have to keep it going. We do it this week, they go one step closer to me thinking we've turned the corner.
Also given that 8 out of 18 teams do it every second week all year pretty much.

I think if we bring in Bryan it has to be for Wright.
That's what I was thinking... how could he take no marks at all during a game? I also don't like the idea of Jones, Cox or Langford in the ruck as the backups.
Won’t we have the same issues with Bryan though? ie someone needed to back him up

Pendiing Reid's game tomorrow, i'll reserve judgement on BZT in or out.

In: Bryan, Reid*
Out: Guelfi, BZT*
*Perhaps

Ridley - Reid/BZT - Francis
Redman - Bryan - Hind
Merrett - Stringer - Cox
Langford - Jones - Perkins
Tippa - Hooker - Waterman
Wright - Parish - McGrath
Ham - Heppell - Snelling - Laverde
Sub: Zaka

First taste of Daniher slicing us open is going to be tough.
Is it wrong to wish an early concussion or flu on him...........

We can't ask for much more than what we've seen in our last 8 quarters.

If we bring this intensity/effort (no guarantees with such a young side this will happen weekly) against the Lions, we could trouble them.

No expectations again this week for the Lions game. Nobody gave us a hope against either the Saints or Swans and they won't against Brisbane either. I am totally fine with this and hope it continues all year.

9 day break is great physically. Mentally? We'll see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ambrose playing forward in VFL (kicked the first goal).

Ambrose in for Snelling?
Can we stop with the drop Snelling talk please? He has been one of our better players the last two weeks. And we haven’t dropped him once since he cracked the side.

Can we stop with the drop Snelling talk please? He has been one of our better players the last two weeks. And we haven’t dropped him once since he cracked the side.

My apologies - wasn’t trying to target Snelling.

Just wondering if Ambrose does really well as a forward, who would make way?

I'd say he'd be contending with Waterman and Jones, but I wouldn't take either of them out.

The sensible thing would be to bring him in as a defender if he is ready to go. Ambrose in for BZT would help us with Brisbane's forwardline.

Essendon as a club has generally been poor at getting quality football out of its 30+ year olds. I think as a supporter base as well, we are far too early to right off these guys. Look at the likes of Boak, Josh Kennedy (both WCE and Syd), Pendelbury etc.

I realise Zaka has had a poor couple of seasons, but we need him to get back to his best and play a role for us for the next 2-3 years whilst these younger guys develop.

In: Zaka, Redman
Out: Perkins (rest), Guelfi
Zaka should have to absolutely bust down the doors for a few weeks in the VFL before he gets a spot in the seniors, can’t have him come in offering SFA like he has since he kicked a goal in the wet

Essendon as a club has generally been poor at getting quality football out of its 30+ year olds. I think as a supporter base as well, we are far too early to right off these guys. Look at the likes of Boak, Josh Kennedy (both WCE and Syd), Pendelbury etc.

I realise Zaka has had a poor couple of seasons, but we need him to get back to his best and play a role for us for the next 2-3 years whilst these younger guys develop.

In: Zaka, Redman
Out: Perkins (rest), Guelfi

I think Essendon has generally been poor playing experienced players based on reputation as opposed to actual output. As great as Zaka has been on occasion, he also hasn’t. His most value is probably on the training track. Apparently sets a high standard.

He will get his games this year but a new generation is emerging And they need to play ahead of him.

He only played a half, so I'm assuming he needs another two or three VFL games before he's considered available for selection in the 1s. When he's ready and if they wanna play him as a forward, I'd give Hooker a rest and bring Ambrose in for him.

My preference though would be to bring him in as a backman for BZT. Who's doing okay at the moment, but I still kinda feel like it'd be good to see how a more senior body goes in that spot. Plus BZT might need a rest at some point anyway.

From the sounds of it, Phillips was fantastic in the VFL practice match.

Zaka as well.

Perhaps 2MP out and Phillips in? Forward line seems to be quite functional at the moment and 2MP may throw it out.

Interested to see how Redman pulls up. He seems like he’s getting back to his former self (from the limited games so far)

I kind of feel like the past is the past. It's a delicate mix though. We can't have a team of noobs without the experienced players to teach them the ropes. On the other hand, we need to get games into the players such as BZT that have been on the list for a number of years to see whether they can make ie.

Hooker, Hurley, Zaka are not the future. Do we play them due to experience and guidence or do we throw the younger players to the wolves and see if they have what it takes? IDK!.

We do have a few players showing promise atm, i dont think dropping them is the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back