Autopsy Freo Down Hawks by 15 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of Chapman's work in traffic today was outstanding.. The biggest positive for me today, at an individual level, was him.
It would have been interesting to see if this game was played in the wet what the outcome would have been. I reckon we actually might have won by more, the hawks were handball happy and went sideways a lot.
Umpires really can suck the enjoyment out of a game, I don't think they were biased, just crap inconsistency.

Last edited:

But all pale in comparison to the ever youthful David Mundy , what a gem !

All he's missing now is that twilight sparkle.

On AOSP on Manta using BigFooty.com mobile app

Forgive the intrusion but just wanted to state my admiration for David Mundy's work today.

Really solid game as always and is it just me or has his disposal gotten better after he hit 30?

He goes alright for an old bugger!

His disposal has always been elite, even in that GF when you bastards beat us, he was the one who got us back in the game in the 3rd quarter
His kicking today was sublime.

Very fair ball player as well, cant ever recall him making any cheap shots over the journey.

Surely he gets to go around again in 2022 if he maintains this kind of form?

Positives:

Many more scoring shots than our oppo
Brayshaw working through his tag to get back on top in the last
Colyer, Watson, Acres stepping up a bit on previous performances
Treacy, Sturt providing options
MUNDY!
Chapman
Running out the game in the last when it looked like Hawks were going to run us down.

Negatives:
We have a problem at the moment in the form of Michael Walters. He used to be one of my favourite players but now frustrates the hell out of me whenever he goes near the ball. Flopping for free kicks, launching at contests he has no business being in, always going to ground. I can't remember the last time he kept his feet in any contest. Ultimate momentum killer at the moment. I'm not saying drop him, but his form at the moment is more of concern to me than any of the usual whipping boys in the team. Longmuir or someone in the coaching group needs to sort him out.

My thoughts:
  • Fyfe not only needs to learn to kick, but also bot try and put the team on his back and give off a few. Fredrick and Colyer were in great positions for two of Fyfes misses.
  • Hughes does great work when the ball is there to be won, but the second he gets a hold of it, its deer in the headlights, stuff of nightmares the decision making and execution
  • Chapman reminds me of Michael Johnson but with more speed. Silky and evasive. Gun in the making.
  • I would have loved for Treacy to have kicked that goal on the siren. Would have lifted the team and given his confidence a hell if a boost. Wish he had him against Carlton, threw his weight around big time.
  • Walters is rusty as hell and looks to be operating at 85% hopefully gets back to his best. We need him firing without Switta and Schultz
  • How good are no injuries! Ryan needs to get a rest at some stage or his back will go. I get sore just watching him hit the packs.

Walters is definitely not one of the players who has benefited under Longmuir. Not sure what is going on with him, maybe he’s still salty about not playing midfield or maybe it’s just that he’s 30 and can’t play the way he used to. But I found myself cringing whenever he was in a contest today as I knew he would fall over then yell at the umpire for not giving him a free.

For a player in the leadership group, it’s just not a great look. It really pains me to say it as I ******* love Sonny.

Walters is definitely not one of the players who has benefited under Longmuir. Not sure what is going on with him, maybe he’s still salty about not playing midfield or maybe it’s just that he’s 30 and can’t play the way he used to. But I found myself cringing whenever he was in a contest today as I knew he would fall over then yell at the umpire for not giving him a free.

For a player in the leadership group, it’s just not a great look. It really pains me to say it as I ******* love Sonny.
So do you love Fyfe more or Sonny ? 🤣

Agree with what you're saying .
He's going through a footy players version of mid life crisis where he can't do what he used to and getting frustrated .
He's a class act and I don't think he's done yet but might not get B22 selection every week .
Our lack of class forwards who can kick straight should keep him in the mix .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of Darcy’s best career games

we’re almost a man down if Meek keeps playing 50% game time, it takes a bit out of everyone else’s bench time

need a solution

Walters needs to get over the fact that he's not a midfielder, and we're not gonna play him as a midfielder. He's a small forward for heck sake, you fill in for Fyfe for a few games in 2018 and all of a sudden you think you've got what it takes to be a ******* midfielder? heck off Sonny. Your best work of your career is as a forward, so he needs to shut the heck up and just be happy up forward. He's no a midfielder and he never will be.

Clarkson noted Brayshaw as one of the best players in the Comp this year in his presser.
That is a glowing review !
Well done Andy 🤙
He actually said ‘the best player in the comp o er the first two rounds’ crazy wraps.

Darcy for me was huge today. What a great presence and consistently put his body on the line. I think with some confidence he could play up forward no qualms.

A win's a win against the bogey side. Did well to hold our ground. Would be nice if the shots on goal and Fyfe's finishing get better.
Agreed....

Glad we got the win.

Last year when we beat the hawks by 16 points, it was the 1st time since 2014 we beat them.

Freo havent Beaten the eagles since 2015 and we are due for a win over them too.

It seems that Walters thinks he needs to win the game of his own boot. Which might be a sign that he doesn't trust his teammates yet to get the job done.

Now a few years ago it may well have been Walters or bust. But since them some players have come on, and Walters needs to just believe that if he gives space for others they can contribute as well.

In terms of where he should play, I like him in the high half forward role, pushing up to the midifield to get the ball on the outside of the stoppage. I think that is where he provides a real point of difference compared to a lot of our other players. I like him kicking to the forwards just as much as him kicking for goals.

It seems that Walters thinks he needs to win the game of his own boot. Which might be a sign that he doesn't trust his teammates yet to get the job done.

Now a few years ago it may well have been Walters or bust. But since them some players have come on, and Walters needs to just believe that if he gives space for others they can contribute as well.

In terms of where he should play, I like him in the high half forward role, pushing up to the midifield to get the ball on the outside of the stoppage. I think that is where he provides a real point of difference compared to a lot of our other players. I like him kicking to the forwards just as much as him kicking for goals.
It might also be a sign that for a long time, we really did need him to play out of his skin, mark everything and kick all the goals for us to win games.

I would argue that the last half of his career we have been desperate for a forward line and the first half of his career we were desperate for a forward line but had Pavlich.

He has been our best player in the forward line since Pav left and a leader of the team, he needs time to adjust to a less mission critical role.

And he should be paid more free kicks, those midfield ducks from a few years ago are costing us shots at goal now. He needs a few clothesline tackles that he pretends not to notice to change the perception of him because right now I'm certain the umpires have the coach in their ear telling them to watch for Walters playing up contact.

He is also not a young man anymore and wasn't ever quick but plays as a leading forward because he is smart and not quick enough/smothered at the stoppages to be effective. We can fix that a little with some blocks but no opposition will leave Walters free 40m out when he is basically our only small now Matera isn't there who can snap a quick goal over his shoulder.

In conclusion there is plenty of improvement in Walters, even though some of it is out of our control and his body limits the ceiling athletically in a modern game that heavily rewards speed and agility.

Got out to a 30+ point lead, the opposition rallied hard, but then you .... responded by upping your game as well?

We call it a "reverse West Coast".

Negative
- Far too much reliance on Mundy for my liking
This is a way bigger problem than we appreciate I think.

Clarkson noted Brayshaw as one of the best players in the Comp this year in his presser.
That is a glowing review !
Well done Andy 🤙
Clarkson =/= yyou confirmed.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back