Autopsy Freo Down Hawks by 15 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Given that Hawthorn offered Dave a five year contract only about six or seven years ago and Collignwood offered Mayne* a four year deal thinking he was David Mundy shows how he is rated within AFL circles in Victoria.

I only base my assumption that Mayne was mistaken for Mundy because McGuire used to mix the two up ALL the time and it would hilarious if their recruitment team brought Mayne's status as a free agent to the board and McGuire went in hard to bat for him.

Thought what Fyfe said after the game was good. That we needed to add another couple of quality mids into the team. Would like to see a few more quality mids added to the rotation, especially with how well Cerra plays on the wing. Possibly Tucker and Valente

Thought what Fyfe said after the game was good. That we needed to add another couple of quality mids into the team. Would like to see a few more quality mids added to the rotation, especially with how well Cerra plays on the wing. Possibly Tucker and Valente

I Agree but the first priority is forwards I think.
If we could snag a key and Motlop this year and then a couple of project mids I'd be reasonable happy.

I don't know if this has been mentioned earlier but a couple of post-game comments to take note of,

- Nathan Wilson said he had some personal issues over the off-season and that he was sent back to the WAFL to train because his fitness wasn't at a required level.... which is not something that I was aware of?

- A journo stated that it was good to see Colyer play well, given the criticism of fans... which JLO seemed quite shocked by, given he probably doesn't read Bigfooty.

Positive: How much Huddo loves Big Sean Darcy

Not sure what kind of ears or speakers people have, because I am 100% sure he said "thud", but still pretty funny.

I don't know if this has been mentioned earlier but a couple of post-game comments to take note of,

- Nathan Wilson said he had some personal issues over the off-season and that he was sent back to the WAFL to train because his fitness wasn't at a required level.... which is not something that I was aware of?

- A journo stated that it was good to see Colyer play well, given the criticism of fans... which JLO seemed quite shocked by, given he probably doesn't read Bigfooty.
His son was in the hospital

Probably good most AFL personnel don't read BigFooty, every club would go under if they listened to us nuffies.

The difference is that we are to a certain extent carrying Burgyone across the line to 400 games this year whereas Mundy is still in your top 5 players on a weekly basis.

Yes if he played for a Victorian team he would get heaps more press but I get the feeling Mundy couldn't give two stuffs about his lack of press ;)
True on all counts, but Burgoyne at 35 as Mundy is now, was still pretty handy. 😊

Walters coming in for a lot of unnecessary abuse for mine. He's still the forward line general down there and the idea that he isn't good enough to rotate into the midfield for minutes is laughable. My one knock on him was it looked like he came back having enjoyed the off season a bit much, then got the hammy at the wrong time.
agree. coming off possibly his worst preseason (muffin top man) and then a hamstring. He is well below his best fitness but I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater like some on here. A good pre-season and by next year will be back to doing what he does. Just probably more forward than mid.

similar with Fyfe. Concussion symptoms don't go away in 12 days. I know one player who said after 30 days they were still feeling the effects. Fyfe said himself that previous concussions affected the bones that assist with balance in his inner ear. Disappointing he missed all those goals but in no way surprising his long distance kicking was a bit off after that massive hit against GWS.

some people on here need to consider a little context before laying out their criticisms.

Positive: How much Huddo loves Big Sean Darcy

Not sure what kind of ears or speakers people have, because I am 100% sure he said "thud", but still pretty funny.
Yeah, he often says things like that and I didn't think of it at the time but I'm really enjoying the alternative option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, if nothing else, I'm happy that Hawthorn no longer seem to be our kryptonite, the one team we could never beat as was the case for well over a decade. Like us, they're a very different team now to what they were when both of us occupied the top tier of the ladder, but sometimes it's just nice to clear out the mental scars and move on. Carlton aside, it's just the Eagles who we need to try and skittle now.

For all that, the Hawks love to play rope a dope this season, falling way behind but then suddenly surging as their opponents get a bit complacent. I do think there was an element of that yesterday, as the end of the first quarter was almost too easy. Our main issue again seemed to be a breakdown across half forward, which was odd given we had decent enough firepower in the forward 50. I do think the absence of both Switta and Schultz told, because while Treacy had a physical presence, the likes of Colyer and Frederick don't really put the same insane level of pressure on the defenders.

Jiath vs Frederick actually turned into quite an absorbing battle between two South Sudanese Australian players with enormous potential, capped off by that footrace to the goal line. I still give Jiath the points though, he intercepted solidly all game and contributed more evenly to his team's performance.

Fyfe, Tabs, Darcy, Schultz, Switta & Frederick are all below average kicks on goal. Jury still out on Treacey and Sturt. Walters probably the only fwd with a reliably kick for goal

Yeah nah, respectfully. Walters is actually starting to lose his radar somewhat (along with other aspects of his AA game, as mentioned) and has never been a long kick with set shots anyway. Taberner used to be very poor but is much much better than he once was, and I actually have great confidence in Tabs, Schultz and Sturt when they are lining up.

Fyfe seemed to have fixed his goal kicking issues, but has regressed severely this season. I do agree that Darcy (particularly), Switkowski and Frederick are not reliable set shots at all. The jury is still out on Treacy because he has a lovely straight kicking action, but I think the nerves of kicking after the quarter time siren with all eyes on him did get to him a bit yesterday. We shall see.

Poor Ethan Hughes. He made so much progress last year to try and get those stupid coach killing errors out of his game and mostly succeeded, only for them to creep right back in again, big time. For good or ill, he is a very instinctive player; most of the time his first instinct is a good one, not always, but ask him to think about it and he turns into a living nightmare. He does do many courageous and good things out there, but when the clangers come they are just so severe and noticeable. I guess a positive is that he wouldn't be thinking his spot in the team is too safe with Chapman's progress and the cavalry returning.

Now to the Adelaide Oval, a ground we have always played extremely poorly at. We do need to turn the away form around, but is this the week for it?

There’s enough to work with there.

We’re closer to our best forward setup now, so hopefully we can see Sturt, Tabs and Traecy build some chemistry.

I can’t say I’m expecting finals, but I just want to start seeing some cohesion after the team has been so chop/change due to injuries the last few years.

And for the love of god, it’s time to change the song. This current group looked embarrassed to sing it post game, and watching them is just cringey. It can’t be inspiring for anyone. Turf it, it’s time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back