Review Geelong defeats North by 30 points. Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Rohan was appalling - can't get the pill, drops marks etc etc. He needs a spell in the VFL to think about things.

Sick of watching him flying for marks with teammates in better position to mark and ultimately the ball spills to a bevy of opponents at the base of the pack who just waltz it out - one of which is usually his direct opponent.

To be fair Fort missed most of the pre season with injury and might not be match fit yet but once he is if Stanley is still playing this poorly we have to make a change.

The bigger issue imo is that apart from Neale who is a kid we dont really have a quality ruck on our list. Scott cant solve that its a list management issue.
Agreed. The big Sav looked very good in the VFL game, playing mostly in the ruck. A change is desperately needed. I liked Holmes. For me, I would be looking at bringing in either Sav/Fort, Holmes and then Clark for the west coast game

Ziebell with 38 touches, 33 kicks and 946 metres gained playing off half-back. Our 'defensive' forwards are literally useless when you're getting torched this badly.

He had 11 turnovers and all of 2 score involvements. Most of those 946m gained ended up with the ball coming straight back. For all those touches he had absolutely no impact.

Agreed. The big Sav looked very good in the VFL game, playing mostly in the ruck. A change is desperately needed. I liked Holmes. For me, I would be looking at bringing in either Sav/Fort, Holmes and then Clark for the west coast game

I dont think Sav has the endurance fitness yet. But in 2 or 3 weeks if stanley hasnt improved Sav or Fort have to be tried as the no1 ruck.

I agree totally, I dont want to be a person on here all the time that gets into Chris Scott, but he wont change anything with Stanley.. Fort deserves a chance to show what his got, ( but people will say he wont do anything ) but you have to give any player that plays well in the VFL a chance, as you cant keep rewarding guys who arnt performing like Stanley. So in my opinion Fort deserves a game... But like i said Chris Scott wont..
Don't forget that when Stanley didn't go so well in the preseason last year that we went with Fort in round 1, and previously they've dropped Stanley when we haven't necessarily had another viable ruck available, so not sure he's really that protected

Fort was good today, looks fit and is pressing his case for senior selection

He had 11 turnovers and all of 2 score involvements. Most of those 946m gained ended up with the ball coming straight back. For all those touches he had absolutely no impact.
This. I dont care about his 1000m gained. I care about score involvement and for that he had nonthing of note. You take those 50m bombs out of D50 because you set up for them and ping it back in.

On the positive De Koning showed some real talent without the polish would love to see him develop similar to an Oscar Allen at West Coast 3rd tall and ruck.

Close had another good game

Stewart, Parfitt collect the vouchers today

Would've liked to see more of him in the ruck. Can only really recall him in one contest when he used his massive leap to get all over his opponent and gave away a free in the process.

That what raised on Krock after the match, and with the new kick-in from a behind rules, once you leave the goal square it counts as a disposal to the player whereas a kick taken within the goal square isn't added to the players individual tally

Our final score today was 10.17 and it seems Ziebell took a good number of the kick-ins, so everytime he ran out of the goal square it's another kick to his tally, and if he runs 10m before kicking it 40m, that's 50m gained just from kicking in from a behind

That explains 850m of his 938m then.

Don't forget that when Stanley didn't go so well in the preseason last year that we went with Fort in round 1, and previously they've dropped Stanley when we haven't necessarily had another viable ruck available, so not sure he's really that protected

Fort was good today, looks fit and is pressing his case for senior selection
Ill ask for your own opinion???
What Changes do you think Chris Scott and the MC will do?? But what changes would you personaly like to see...

Clark is exactly that, a half back quarterback. If we persist and train him well and give him continuity in his suited position, which is the exact opposite of what we’ve been going, he will flourish.
Far too raw atm and his skills fall in the Blicavs and Bews category. Not the Stewart and Hendo category.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But this is North Melbourne we're talking about. Replace them with a more competent team and Ziebell with a better player and they will cut us up even harder. It happened in last years GF, it's happened in the games already this year. Maybe I'm alone in thinking it but back flankers have been doing serious damage to us for a while now. If you can't learn a lesson from today then when it happens in a big game against a higher quality opponent we've no one to blame but ourselves.

Serious question...

At this level, who's responsible for basic individual skills? I assume we have a skills coaches who might oversee certain methods of things like tackling, hit outs, etc, but surely the fundamental things like kick and handball skills are the responsibility of the individual? The team as a whole has deplorable skills in that area. Even our 'silkiest' players are prone to butchering it, or turning it over without pressure. So many short kicks falling short, handballs to toes, handball behind running players or we'll above their heads.

And, the amount of times we look to go to a second or third option instead of the first one is ******* killing us. We put ourselves under unnecessary pressure.

It doesn't matter what your game plan is (for the record I think ours stinks), if you can't do the basics as an individual, then you'll always struggle as a team.

I think both viewpoints are correct simultaneously. STPer18 isn't happy our small forwards let him have so much of the ball, but yes his influence was minimal.

I would rather we stop someone racking up 35+ rather than hope he does nothing with it.

I reckon a lot have got this autopsy wrong. This was a failure in execution, not planning or intent. We had enough of the ball in the right places to win by 10 goals but just failed too often to hit a target inside 50 or with the shots at goal.

Onwards to next week and we add JC to the puzzle.

I think both viewpoints are correct simultaneously. STPer18 isn't happy our small forwards let him have so much of the ball, but yes his influence was minimal.

I would rather we stop someone racking up 35+ rather than hope he does nothing with it.
Yeah you said it better than I could. If you replace Ziebell with a more damaging player and let him get it that many times, like Short in last years' GF, it's going to sting a lot more.

We completely dominated the game and were a bit of polish away from winning that by 70+.

The criticism of Dahl is bizarre. He's clearly our best defensive forward and apart from 2 missed goals his ball use was good. He looked to be moving better tonight too. I actually thought all our small forwards were good with some utterly diabolical delivery. If Hawkins doesn't have a stinker, Rohan sticks a couple of those marks and Cameron comes in for De Koning our forward line should actually look pretty good. I'm much more worried about the butchering of the ball by guys like Danger, Bews and Smith than anything with our forward line.
You’re too positive for this thread. How dare you!

Even if he took 10 of and you subtract them that's 28 and 446m in the old money which is still a good innings

On the way home it was interesting listening to krock, in particularly Benny review the game - there wasn't any puffing the chest out & how good are Geelong sorta thing, that there's a clear need for improvement but that today was more about how North went about things & structured up, rather than Geelong

North Melbourne went in to the match not with a game plan to win but with one to minimise the damage on the scoreboard and loss. They set up to continually have extras in our attacking half which would minimise fluidity to our game, and why guys like Ziebell played across the backline

Benny did finish by saying next week will be a better game because WCE will come over wanting to win which will help both sides play better

It was interesting listening to the analysis

I reckon a lot have got this autopsy wrong. This was a failure in execution, not planning or intent. We had enough of the ball in the right places to win by 10 goals but just failed too often to hit a target inside 50 or with the shots at goal.

Onwards to next week and we add JC to the puzzle.
Which was a big issue in 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Get ball, bomb forward, opposition get ball and hit us on the counter. We cost ourselves a grand final with that style when we would play teams who have strong contested marking players.

Ball entry was atrocious today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back