Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the stadium would likely be upgraded to increase capacity from 42,000 to 50,000 spectators.

"Every games needs a home," she said.

"The Gabba has been home to our sport since 1895.

"A home for the 2032 Olympic Games could be its crowning glory."

Politicians are so out of touch. The crowning glory was the miracle on grass.

Perhaps second place goes to Qld winning it's first Sheffield Shield crown back in the 90's.

Then maybe Dean Jones hitting 145 against England in the one dayer there back in 1990 / 1991 (I think).

Olympics? Pffttt, does anyone even care anymore?

I wonder if we'll play at the Reserve or if the AFL will make us move to Carrara. Although Carrara could be out of action too potentially.
This announcement may force the government to put more money into the reserve
Ideally The Reserve could have a permanent grandstand seating capacity of 15,000+
This could be increased with temporary seating before the Gabba is demolished
It's not like any foundations have been laid yet at The Reserve. See below image today
I noticed some big machinery moved in a week ago
Not really good news for AFL or Cricket (in short term) in the Gabba construction phase which will be years in the making

1618876548747.png

Ideally The Reserve could have a permanent grandstand seating capacity of 15,000+
It's not like any foundations have been laid yet at The Reserve. See below image today
Not really good news for AFL or Cricket (in short term) in the Gabba construction phase which will be years in the making

View attachment 1107057
I am concerned that if the State Government put in too much more money towards the project they will start charging a lease for the use of the facilities which we are running away from at the Gabba.
Especially if it is for a greater Grand stand capacity, it may be a lease for match day use. Which will hurt us for the Women’s games ultimately.

View attachment 1107057
The site looks a ship load cleaner than it did 2 weeks ago.

I saw someone suggest the Gabba will be demolished in 2024 -- can anyone else find a reference for that? (I can't)

I don’t think they’ve given an exact timeframe yet - they’ve just said work wouldn’t begin until cross river rail was finished, which is expected to happen in 2024.

Going off the construction of Adelaide Oval & Optus Stadium, it’s probably fair to assume we will lose two seasons. Could get lucky if the construction timelines fall in the right place and just lose one and a half.

I also wouldn’t think they’d want to get started until 2028/2029 or around that mark. You’d want the stadium to be the most up to date it possibly could be re: facilities and design come the Olympics, so holding off until then would seem to make the most sense to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think they’ve given an exact timeframe yet - they’ve just said work wouldn’t begin until cross river rail was finished, which is expected to happen in 2024.

Going off the construction of Adelaide Oval & Optus Stadium, it’s probably fair to assume we will lose two seasons. Could get lucky if the construction timelines fall in the right place and just lose one and a half.

I also wouldn’t think they’d want to get started until 2028/2029 or around that mark. You’d want the stadium to be the most up to date it possibly could be re: facilities and design come the Olympics, so holding off until then would seem to make the most sense to me.
Yeah, this is going to be painful. This is why I wanted the stadium to be built somewhere else like the Mayne rail yards or Albion Park.

So they will be demolishing the Gabba and building a new stadium?
From the link on the previous page >

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the stadium would likely be upgraded to increase capacity from 42,000 to 50,000 spectators and she anticipated the redevelopment would cost "around the $1 billion mark".

Ms Palaszczuk told ABC News Breakfast the Gabba would be "completely rebuilt and raised up and it's going to be sensational".

Messaging a tad ambiguous, upgrade or completely rebuilt :think: :think: .

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the stadium would likely be upgraded to increase capacity from 42,000 to 50,000 spectators and she anticipated the redevelopment would cost "around the $1 billion mark".

Ms Palaszczuk told ABC News Breakfast the Gabba would be "completely rebuilt and raised up and it's going to be sensational".

I wonder if they are getting rid of the School because the imaging shows the stadium stretching in length?

It's a rebuild on the same site. Not my preferred option, but it's probably cheaper than having to buy land elsewhere

Parramatta and SFS down here backs up that timeframe too.

So during our premiership window, when we need to 'stock up' our financial position by optimising crowds at games, will are likely to have to play elsewhere due to developing the site.

Ain't it just peachy.

How long do you expect the window to be open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back