Review Good Bad and Ugly vs GWS - Rd 7 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

What is worse is that he has a fantastic opportunity to cement a regular spot in the side..but looks like he just does not want it enough at the moment. I just think that the coaches need to explain it to him that the club needs him to put in effort like keays does week in and week iut and then good things will happen
That's the problem right there..
The coach shouldn't need to tell him.

What is worse is that he has a fantastic opportunity to cement a regular spot in the side..but looks like he just does not want it enough at the moment. I just think that the coaches need to explain it to him that the club needs him to put in effort like keays does week in and week iut and then good things will happen

Looks unfit. He's not alone there.

We struggle to read the ball off hands anywhere on the field

Any marking contest between the arcs where it hits the ground feels like we lose 2 out of every 3

F50 we lose 9 out of 10

Not overly concerned. Gws were fantastic. We're in a heavy rebuild that still needs a couple of quality mids and some time. Think we made a mistake playing Mackay and not keeping fog and selecting Worrell. We may as well go all in and blood the young guys who look talented. They might need patience but that's where we're at.

Good:

GWS. They've really turned it around and their high class players dominated. Our mids haven't been dominated like that all year. Good pressure all day.

Doedee bounced back from a stinker last week.

Liked Schoenberg. Doing well in his second year.

TT showed some classy signs.

Keays probably our best mid bit even he was quiet.

I actually really rate Murray in the air. Since day 1 he's been excellent aerially. By foot it's a lottery though. I really hope he can tidy that up (I feel like I say this about so many crows players). May as well give him a go.

McHenry another small step in the right direction. He's good with those short kicks (just missed one).

Players I didn't think were as bad as what's been said here: Kelly, Mcpherson (had a better week imo) and Sholl.

Bad:

Forward entry. Not sure how people can't see the correlation (and causation) between Tex form and our forward entries. He's still the same player as the first few weeks, it's our form that's completely dropped off and depriving him of clean ball going forward.

Umpiring was a pile of s**t. They've turned out around on us.

Hately continues to show no signs at all.

Laird nullified.

Seed didn't take his chances.

McAdam ineffectually again.

Himm needs to start clunking those marks like he was last year.

People's first impressions of Jackson Hately two games in?
As expected.

If it helps, think of Hately as an Aidan Bonar type who wasn’t really wanted by GWS rather than a Jack Steele they wanted but couldn’t quite fit in. He was free.

I actually thought he was better this week than last week. Got a bit more involved in the contest rather than waiting off for the uncontested receive like he normally does.

Hopefully he will get a bit of a run to get used to things.

How do you rate Neds performance? Because the stat sheet reads pretty damn similar to Hately's.
You would bloody well hope so given Hately played mainly on ball and McHenry only had minimal exposure on ball in the 2nd half only, none in the 1st half.

McHenry played his role way way better than Hately played his role.

Hately 11 disposals 5 turnovers

McHenry 13 disposals 2 turnovers.

Helps our draft pick and future. Double whammy
I’m sure many great rebuilds are based around getting your arse kicked big time week after week.....but I just can’t remember an example.

I do remember that the many unsuccessful rebuilds by Carlton were based on this method.

I’m sure many great rebuilds are based around getting your arse kicked big time week after week.....but I just can’t remember an example.

I do remember that the many unsuccessful rebuilds by Carlton were based on this method.
Lucky for us we had our arse kicked this week anyway, even though we didn't play maximum kids.

Go us

Our team is just horribly structured; so badly it might be deliberate.

Forward line of 6 literally has ONE player who is dangerous, and it’s Tex.

One average guy who doesn’t contribute much in Berg. Another in McAdam. Another in Rowe. Bunch of short people who don’t have any real weapons

RT new, so we expect him to be up and down, that’s fine - but our forward line structure is garbage.

Compounded by our midfield being just plain mediocre at best, and it’s no wonder.

Open the war chest you reckon?
We’ve still got the Dangefield money, don’t we

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Tex thinks he can write himself a contract extension off the back of a few good early games he needs a reality check.
Playing injured or not, hes back to wrestling his man and one armed marking attempts.
It's clear Fog needs games as a permanent forward and he can play.
If Tex isn't 100% fit out he goes.
It was one of the big quandaries of the first few rounds wasn't it? We really need some Tex free time to let the next gen forward line form and gel at some point. But how do you do that when he started so strongly. I love Tex and have enjoyed his purple patch as much as anyone, but not sure it's ever been the best outcome in the context of a rebuild when we've got to find the next-gen forward combination to take us forward.

A few more games from him like the next couple of weeks and it makes that decision a whole lot easier. I'm personally really keen to get a few games looking at a dedicated forward line of Thilthorpe, Fog and McAdam, at some point before years end. I'm still very much of the opinion that Fog as a pure lead up forward can and will make it for us, and a great complement to the strong pack marking of TT.

Throw in Chayce and Newchurch and I reckon we could have a really nice dynamic.

We had seven players who didn't lay a tackle today.

GWS had one, and he was subbed off injured early on.

Honestly, what muppet looks at our forward line setup and thinks it’s a good setup?

Happy with tanking though - only explanation.
Do you just ignore stats over the first 6 weeks where we were the 4th highest scoring team? We fell apart today, but the midfield got absolutely smashed, it had nothing to do with forward structure, I don’t know why you keep persisting with that line this week. It’s no surprise that we looked our best through the middle when Sloaney was back to his best form, I think we win at least one of the last two before today if he’s still playing. His inclusion will automatically improve our stoppage work again.

Do you just ignore stats over the first 6 weeks where we were the 4th highest scoring team? We fell apart today, but the midfield got absolutely smashed, it had nothing to do with forward structure, I don’t know why you keep persisting with that line this week. It’s no surprise that we looked our best through the middle when Sloaney was back to his best form, I think we win at least one of the last two before today if he’s still playing. His inclusion will automatically improve our stoppage work again.

The only reason for that and our forward line looking alright is the unbelievable form Tex found in the first month.

Perfect example of wall papering over the cracks - as soon as it’s dropped off, it’s revealed how poor it is.

It was one of the big quandaries of the first few rounds wasn't it? We really need some Tex free time to let the next gen forward line form and gel at some point. But how do you do that when he started so strongly. I love Tex and have enjoyed his purple patch as much as anyone, but not sure it's ever been the best outcome in the context of a rebuild when we've got to find the next-gen forward combination to take us forward.

A few more games from him like the next couple of weeks and it makes that decision a whole lot easier. I'm personally really keen to get a few games looking at a dedicated forward line of Thilthorpe, Fog and McAdam, at some point before years end. I'm still very much of the opinion that Fog as a pure lead up forward can and will make it for us, and a great complement to the strong pack marking of TT.

Throw in Chayce and Newchurch and I reckon we could have a really nice dynamic.
Having Tex performing is not good for a rebuild? Weird logic. He’s not just in ok form compared to previous seasons, it was statistically the best start to a season from any key forward since Carey in 94 (from both a goal and general impact POV). Tex in good form is critical to the development of guys like RT, Fog and Berg.

We had seven players who didn't lay a tackle today.

GWS had one, and he was subbed off injured early on.
Lachie Sholl is great when he's running around like an unregistered dog but the knock on him was always his contested game and his ability to actually defend.

Hopefully he can address these deficiencies because he's definitely a player you want with the ball in hand.

The only reason for that and our forward line looking alright is the unbelievable form Tex found in the first month.

Perfect example of wall papering over the cracks - as soon as it’s dropped off, it’s revealed how poor it is.
That would make sense if the team hadn’t managed 27 goals over the last couple of weeks before today, with Tex contributing less than a 5th of those. The midfield lost clearances by 22 today, that’s where the game was lost, not poor forward structure. A poor forward structure isn’t capable of a 14 goal half like last week either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back