Autopsy Geelong Loses to Swans by 2 points - Rd 7, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

We are the tigers bunnies. We simply will not win this week. Mentally they own us.
They have simply been the best team in the comp for several years now. They have pretty comfortably had everyone’s measure.
It can’t last forever though, so time to start the changing. Comon cats.

Just remember Stanley is 30 years of age and played 150 games. He's still as inconsistent today as what he was paired up next to Nick Riewoldt.

If Ratugolea is given just as much opportunity in the ruck as what Stanley has been given, I'd happily wager he's a much more competent ruckman (barring injuries).
Ratugolea by age 26 and roughly 100 games, he could be a similar prospect to Nankervis or Ryder.

Yes, I agree. Ratugolea could become a better ruck than Stanley. I was impressed with his work last year when filling in. But there would also be a learning curve, with inconstant performances and some abject hidings against seasoned opponents. Are the MC (and fans) prepared to wear that? FWIW, I think it is probably worth it, as the space between Stanley's best and worst is enormous. This is a shame as our best football has coincided with Stanley's occasional purple patches over the last few years.

But yeah, I think it may be time to make the switch.

I think there is a bit of underselling Tom Hickey

In the preview thread i posted that i thought that Hickey was the Swans 2nd most important out behind Franklin - when Hickey was listed midweek as being out for 5-7 weeks

Hickey played pretty well for West Coast - and i dont think the Eagles wanted to lose him - but the Swans offered him a multi year deal - and most likely better money - so he obviously took it

Im pretty sure when Geel beat West Coast very easily a year or 2 back at KP - Hickey on a bleak day for West Coast was easily their best player

So really it is no surprise he towelled up Stanley last night

Thats what pissses me off the most about him presently

I can remember when Corey Enright started off - and Bomber was a harsh coach ( which was good ) and Enright had to string a number of games together in the 2nds playing in the centre - getting 40 possessions before he was elevated to the 1sts

Let them do that philosophy with Clark - let him really earn his spot and he might appreciate it
The problem with this is, why doesn't Dalhaus or Atkins or Stanley have to do this when they are so bad they are basically playing for the other team? Why is it only youngsters with potential like Clark who have to 'bang the door down'?

Drop any player who is out of form or fails to display the minimum required effort and discipline and I'm there. But selectively dropping some and others getting a free ride is 1990s Geelong crap.

nah surely it's a good take, I mean he is using a defenders career average possesions as some sort of indiciator of his impact on matches in 2021. Clearly a champion data employee

The quote was a joke lol

But since we are serious I used his 2021 numbers lol 😂😂

If that's career you looked further

The score board after quarter time says hello. We did not dominate in anything meaningful.
+80 disposals
+33 contested possessions
+8 tackles
-11 turnovers
+26 I50's
+3 clearances

I don't reckon you'd find a game where a team has more disposals, more contested possessions AND more tackles and still lost, let alone more clearances, inside 50s and less turnovers. The only thing Geelong did wrong was continually shank their shots at goal. We really dominated every aspect of the game except goal kicking.

Problem is we are too old to be able to peak late in the year! Our midfield are all around 30. Do you seriously think hendo, touhy, Selwood, smith, Higgins, etc are gonna be peaking in September? That’s for the young and hungry!
On top of which, as usual, we show zero sign of resting any older players purely to keep them fit. Should seriously be looking at giving Selwood a rest soon, for example, but no, let's wait until he picks up another leg injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there is a bit of underselling Tom Hickey

In the preview thread i posted that i thought that Hickey was the Swans 2nd most important out behind Franklin - when Hickey was listed midweek as being out for 5-7 weeks

Hickey played pretty well for West Coast - and i dont think the Eagles wanted to lose him - but the Swans offered him a multi year deal - and most likely better money - so he obviously took it

Im pretty sure when Geel beat West Coast very easily a year or 2 back at KP - Hickey on a bleak day for West Coast was easily their best player

So really it is no surprise he towelled up Stanley last night

Hickey has been enormous for Sydney this year and was great when they beat Richmond a few weeks ago.

The quote was a joke lol

But since we are serious I used his 2021 numbers lol 😂😂

If that's career you looked further
Try as you might, you can't save this one with emojis. You used his career average because I checked his stats before I commented.

Good try though but maybe one day you might realise number of possessions is not what makes someone a good defender.

Turn the volume and watch the last 2 minutes. Umpire called touched ball play on. Richo made an assumption that umpire called not 15 and now it has created a whole heap of unnecessary hysteria. I don't blame you guys for being frustrated given what the commentators said. Not coming on hear to rub it in as I respect the cats as q club and team, just simply clarifying.
How's this brilliant analysis looking today?

Try as you might, you can't save this one with emojis. You used his career average because I checked his stats before I commented.

Good try though but maybe one day you might realise number of possessions is not what makes someone a good defender.

Never said he was a bad defender ! Actually said he defends really well if you care to read back properly. And in context to what I was replying to cat to future was actually talking about bews new tricks if you care to read back.

post 716#
post 720#
Post 723# what your referring to though my bad clicked wrong tab will own it

I said he had been poor this season which I stand by

career
Screenshot_20210502-224516_AFL.jpg

2021 season*

Screenshot_20210502-223451_AFL.jpg

Oh the shock and horror when I found out jed Bews is averaging 12.3 touches my bad I might edit my last post to reflect it's not 11 the career average tabs are millemetre apart I will own this howler my bad.

Last edited:
+80 disposals
+33 contested possessions
+8 tackles
-11 turnovers
+26 I50's
+3 clearances

I don't reckon you'd find a game where a team has more disposals, more contested possessions AND more tackles and still lost, let alone more clearances, inside 50s and less turnovers. The only thing Geelong did wrong was continually shank their shots at goal. We really dominated every aspect of the game except goal kicking.

That you can win in these stats and still lose devalues their relevance for me. There a lot of stats you can study and record... and at the best they are indicative of a chance to win. Better to have them than not, but I suspect there are numbers and other stats within thos e stats that may tell a different tale. How boundary throw ins against West Coast and how many against the Swans? How many metres gains and how long did it take us to gain them ... on and on. For me ..if you are looking at the stats in Q2 thru Q4..and they say we are winning in the measurables, then Id say we are measuring the wrong things.

Last edited:
Never said he was a bad defender ! Actually said he defends really well if you care to read back properly. And in context to what I was replying to cat to future was actually talking about bews new tricks if you care to read back.

post 716#
post 720#
Post 723# what your referring to though my bad clicked wrong tab will own it

I said he had been poor this season which I stand by

career
View attachment 1117502

2021 season*

View attachment 1117503

Oh the shock and horror when I found out jed Bews is averaging 12.3 touches my bad I might edit my last post to reflect it's not 11 the career average tabs are millemetre apart I will own this howler my bad.
Care little for all the stats in the world. My eyes tell me he is defending his man well. That is all that matters, to that end he beat Papley yesterday

We are a silly side with silly supporters who implode at each other.

The umpire has one job to do. And its to officiate on the rules, and not the vibe. If its too hard, the AFL simplify needs to simplify the rules.

Yes we need to kick straight. BUT we also need to be rewarded for taking marks.

Yes Stanley had a bad game, But do you think the WCE wanted him banished after last week.

In terms of umpires the key points the glogs at the AFL need to remember:
1. there is a rule about sliding into player legs, and it is the reason kolo is injured. there is a rule apply it
2. watch the sydney game, and watch the geelong players being tunnelled, no free applied
3. the goal review, why are we looking at whether the blal was touched when kick, are we going to use the same to see is the ball travelled the requisite distance, if the player was out of bounds when he kicked it

seriously this is amateur hour

Turn the volume and watch the last 2 minutes. Umpire called touched ball play on. Richo made an assumption that umpire called not 15 and now it has created a whole heap of unnecessary hysteria. I don't blame you guys for being frustrated given what the commentators said. Not coming on hear to rub it in as I respect the cats as q club and team, just simply clarifying.

None of it really matters in the end. The cats had so many opportunities to bury the game in the last quarter and failed. Well done to the swans hanging in there and scraping a win.

Very, very clearly says 'not 15 play on' twice

Constable (contested ball) or Holmes (pace) are obvious candidates.

Surely it would be better for Holmes development for him to be given full games, and at the moment that's in the VFL rather than him sitting on the bench for the AFL side potentially not getting a run

Contable maybe but for the suggestion of him being a strong inside mid where clearances & contested possessions are his strength, he just ain't showing that the year. Constable & Guth have both played 3 matches this year with a mix of full games & medical sub - Constable is averaging 3 more disposals per match but only 1.3 more contested possessions, and as for clearance work Constable is ave 2 per game (1.3 centre clearances & 0.7 stoppage).

It's kinda a toss of a coin between Constable & Guth in terms of being medical sub, and I think Guth's ability to run out a match & impact after half-time may be why he got the nod last night. And we never know, if we can stop losing guys to injuries and start getting others back we may not see either of them on the emergency list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back