Autopsy Losing a home game at the Gabba - round 8 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Tabs is B22 at 15 clubs without thinking, not at West Coast and possibly not at Geelong or Richmond depending on whether they want the 3rd tall. Then again, Tabs as the 3rd tall would absolutely dominate, especially with the delivery he would get from their mids.

Tabs is not a champion player, he is ok and has done well with his skill set allows.
Tabs has never torn a game apart. Serviceable is his mantra.

Tabs is B22 at 15 clubs without thinking, not at West Coast and possibly not at Geelong or Richmond depending on whether they want the 3rd tall. Then again, Tabs as the 3rd tall would absolutely dominate, especially with the delivery he would get from their mids.

Bulldog have a # 1 pick KPF sitting in their reserves team.
Don't think Tabs would be getting a game there any time soon

Give the outs, opposition and playing away I thought we did OK. Lobb was fine and is IMO building nicely after an interrupted pre-season, he gets harshly marked due to his salary but plays the forward/ruck role as good as any. Bringing in Meek for Lobb might make people feel better due to the salary difference but it wouldn't help the team.

Walters acting is getting dangerously close to worst of all time, it's pathetic and hurting the team. Needs to be called out for what it is.

Bulldog have a # 1 pick KPF sitting in their reserves team.
Don't think Tabs would be getting a game there any time soon
By all accounts their are other things going on with JUH not getting a game, and regardless, JUH isnt doing what Tabs is doing right now, in a few years maybe, but not now. I reckon if you asked most Dogs supporters on this board, they would jump at taking Tabs. It would give them so much flexibility with Naughton and Tabs is better than Bruce considering the team he's playing in.

I think another aspect that’s often overlooked when it comes to our deplorable kpf drafting that even if they don’t come on as kpfs , a fair percentage of failed kpfs often at least end up with being serviceable kpb- (Pearce being our own example)

So it’s not like it’s even kpf or bust and given Pearce and hamling injury issues we may at least solve our replacements with kpb

Give the outs, opposition and playing away I thought we did OK. Lobb was fine and is IMO building nicely after an interrupted pre-season, he gets harshly marked due to his salary but plays the forward/ruck role as good as any. Bringing in Meek for Lobb might make people feel better due to the salary difference but it wouldn't help the team.

Walters acting is getting dangerously close to worst of all time, it's pathetic and hurting the team. Needs to be called out for what it is.

That's fair, but he has zero defensive pressure in his game.
Even Kennedy who is twice the player has a strong defensive ethos.
Its workrate, and Lobb is a one effort player.
Should be on half the amount of money he is on

By all accounts their are other things going on with JUH not getting a game, and regardless, JUH isnt doing what Tabs is doing right now, in a few years maybe, but not now. I reckon if you asked most Dogs supporters on this board, they would jump at taking Tabs. It would give them so much flexibility with Naughton and Tabs is better than Bruce considering the team he's playing in.

Bruce kicked a lazy five in a come from behind fight bàck.
There wouldn't be any Dogs fans jumping at replacing Bruce with Tabs.
Tabs reputation beyond some on this board is not exactly glowing.

To all the posters on here deriding the coach and team and dropping their bundle. How do you compare our performance against Brisbane when the Tigers dish up a 10 goal defeat to the Cats? Even 'good' sides have down days and as Darcy said after the match they are and need to be focussed on putting in 4 quarters. Four quarter performances are an achilles heel of young and injured sides.

The expectation of fans of all teams in AFL is unrealistic, footy is a grueling sport. Teams are simply not going to be winning every game and a loss does not mean the sky is falling, still 66% of the season to go. Sheez...
Really should make zero difference.

Anyway we win this week and 5/4 ratio gives the club breathing space and Tabs kicks 5.
Imo we will beat Essendon,

Not much I can say after 10 pages of varying analysis, but I want to highlight one thing.

Big Sean played a ripper.

That's as good of an all round game as a ruck man can play. His second efforts and clean handling below his knees really show that he has a huge amount of potential still in him. I'd like to see a few more marks around the ground, but that's getting a little bit picky.

The next big step, and it will happen at some stage, is the realisation that he is a big, bad mother*er who has the capacity to dominate games and become a leader on the field. And to think, his best footy is still 4-6 years away.

Not much I can say after 10 pages of varying analysis, but I want to highlight one thing.

That's as good of an all round game as a ruck man can play. His second efforts and clean handling below his knees really show that he has a huge amount of potential still in him. I'd like to see a few more marks around the ground, but that's getting a little bit picky.

The next big step, and it will happen at some stage, is the realisation that he is a big, bad motherf***er who has the capacity to dominate games and become a leader on the field. And to think, his best footy is still 4-6 years away.

This is spot on and really highlights why we shouldn't be bringing in Meek for Lobb. The last thing we want to be doing is slowing Darcys development by playing him forward for large stints.

I didn't think it had anything to do with me until you mentioned it now :) Hard to find them and almost impossible if you expect to find them in the rookie draft.

All of the best teams have a key forward taken with a high pick (or would have been if not for f/s, zone selection etc). Could be a coincidence that those teams that don't are mostly bottom 6 (except us)...

Melbourne - Jackson #3
Western Bulldogs - Naughton #9, JUH #1
Port Adelaide - Dixon (zone selection)
Geelong - Cameron, Hawkins (f/s)
Brisbane - Daniher #10 (f/s), Hipwood #14 (academy)
Sydney - Franklin #5, McDonald #4
West Coast - Kennedy #4
Richmond - Riewoldt #1, Lynch #11

GWS - Himmelberg #16
Fremantle - ?
St Kilda - M.King #4
Gold Coast - B.King #6
Carlton - McKay #10

Adelaide - ?
Essendon - ?
Collingwood - ?
Hawthorn - ?
North Melbourne - ?
Jack was pick 13 I think. Nick was #1.

McKay currently looks unplayable. If the ball comes in remotely in his advantage, he marks it. Gives me hope we can get quality in around the 7-11 mark (where we will be picking this year).

I didn't think it had anything to do with me until you mentioned it now :) Hard to find them and almost impossible if you expect to find them in the rookie draft.

All of the best teams have a key forward taken with a high pick (or would have been if not for f/s, zone selection etc). Could be a coincidence that those teams that don't are mostly bottom 6 (except us)...

Melbourne - Jackson #3
Western Bulldogs - Naughton #9, JUH #1
Port Adelaide - Dixon (zone selection), Marshall #16, Georgiades #18
Geelong - Cameron, Hawkins (f/s)
Brisbane - Daniher #10 (f/s), Hipwood #14 (academy)
Sydney - Franklin #5, McDonald #4
West Coast - Kennedy #4
Richmond - Riewoldt #1, Lynch #11

GWS - Himmelberg #16
Fremantle - ?
St Kilda - M.King #4
Gold Coast - B.King #6
Carlton - McKay #10

Adelaide - ?
Essendon - ?
Collingwood - ?
Hawthorn - ?
North Melbourne - ?

They do, and but for our own fluff ups we would have had Hogan who would have featured too. There are quite a number on that list who haven't proven themselves yet either and that's the risk I worry we will load a young key forward with - Tabs gets blasted for not being perfect but he is still comfortably in the top forwards discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The next big step, and it will happen at some stage, is the realisation that he is a big, bad motherf***er who has the capacity to dominate games and become a leader on the field. And to think, his best footy is still 4-6 years away.
"all round game"
Has the potential to be the best ruck in the game by 25.

I think we can identify we haven’t used the right picks to draft key fwds. Out of everyone you mention there only 1 top 30 pick and he was a ruckman as a junior who we tried to turn into a fwd.

Truth is we are probably going to have to use multiple top 10-20 picks just to find 1 quality kpf and the other truth is we need to find at least 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, which leads us to the question - do we use 4 picks to hopefully get two serviceable players or trade those picks to get known quantity up front?

The value of the mystery box is large, but the need for the known is present.

The next big step, and it will happen at some stage, is the realisation that he is a big, bad motherf***er who has the capacity to dominate games and become a leader on the field.
That moment in the first quarter when Brayshaw handballed to Darcy at the back of the centre square and then directs Darcy to go a lateral (even slightly backwards) kick, but Darcy says "f**k that", runs forward and kicks long through the corridor to the HFF...

I agree, which leads us to the question - do we use 4 picks to hopefully get two serviceable players or trade those picks to get known quantity up front?

The value of the mystery box is large, but the need for the known is present.

They need to be drafted. No good forwards are coming here via trade. They cost a bomb in picks/salary, and we can't offer good performance, injury management nor anonymity.

The classical Freo move of the past would be to offer Collingwood 3 first rounders to take De Goey as a "key" forward and still pay his full salary, then in his first pre-season he learns about Rottnest, where he gets drunk, attempts to kick a quokka but misses and rips his hamstring off the bone, never to play again.

Every time I read John Townshend's ratings it just adds to the evidence he doesn't even watch the games.
Why - what bits do you disagree with? Maybe I think he underrated Henry and overrated Brayshaw but largely these seem about right to me

Why - what bits do you disagree with? Maybe I think he underrated Henry and overrated Brayshaw but largely these seem about right to me
When you are giving out ratings in a range from 7 down to 4 for all players (sans 2) it is always going to be in the ballpark of being right. But...

Aish a 6? Thought that was Aish's worst performance at Freo to date. Did he hit a single target? 30% kick efficiency.
Henry's rating is ridiculous. Was nowhere near the worst in our team.
If 7 is the highest then Mundy wasn't a 7. Still up there but was not his usual clean self to be the highest rated.
Brayshaw too high as well. Worked hard but burned it a fair bit - 30% kick efficiency.
Serong was busy in the 1st quarter with 10 but turned it over 5 times in those 10. Love him but... not his best game.
Crowden was one of the few players hitting targets. Had 7 score involvements.
Fyfe and Darcy should be 8 at least - clear stand outs imo (irrespective of Fyfe's goal accuracy). Do this, and then most of the rest would make more sense.

Bruce kicked a lazy five in a come from behind fight bàck.
There wouldn't be any Dogs fans jumping at replacing Bruce with Tabs.
Tabs reputation beyond some on this board is not exactly glowing.
Bruce has kicked 15 out of his 23 goals in 2 games. 6 games for 8 goals. Hmm....
Also has Naughton next to him and the best midfield in the comp...

Freo tries to be competitive with one forward;
- identifies need for tall support
- drafts Joel Houghton, Anthony, Smith, Taberner, Howson, Hurley, Apeness, Pearce, Wood, Yarran, Uebergang, Cox, Strnadica, Dixon and Treacy
- drafted options either don't come on or aren't going to mature enough to contribute during peak so trades in Hogan, Lobb
- traded in options aren't working, revert to draft

I think we can identify the problem here. We haven't picked well.
Out of this players taken in the draft, you would expect a couple to have some kind of development enough to impact at the highest level. The club must take some responsibility for not being able to develop two guys to play 50+ games. Tabs has taken the best part of a decade to get to the position he’s in now and as conservative as that is, it should be the template for developing a KPF. If one comes on sooner then that’s fortunate. But the idea that the club has that a KPF will be at their peak at 23/24 and if not delist, is getting us nowhere. The guys likely to come on sooner are at the top of the draft, which we’ve never picked. Therefore we need to take the long road, which we don’t. There’s enough space on a list to tuck away one or two KPF’s for 5/6 years.

Much better than I had expected. Missing most of our first choice back 6. People underestimate continuity. Teams that go deep in September generally keep most of the same 25 players for most of the season & in the back line particularly you need a core group that learn to work together & anticipate each other. Last year we had Ryan, Cox, Hughes, Conca together most weeks & they built a real synergy. This year has been a cobble together every week.
We’re playing guys like Tucker, Lobb, Logue, Duman, Tabs who are short of a gallop & it shows. Walters is out of form, Fyfe has the yips, Crowden & Shultz are inconsistent but most of all we’re being forced into changes every week through injury & can’t get continuity going.
Considering all that & up against one of the best sides we did ok.
Biggest positive for me was Darcy & how well Blakely played. He reminded me of when he was 18 playing WAFL. A contested beast & he finally seemed to stop panicking & made some great decisions with the ball. He starts next week for mine.
Get Cerra, Ryan back, bring Treacy in, keep playing Henry. And just hope we can get continuity for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly mate I'm here just for your posts and a couple others.

The rest of this board resembles a Facebook thread most of the times these days.

Worth adding that Big Baby's post-game interview had me up and about. You could hear how badly he wants us to tear games apart and it sounded to me like he's poised to take on a natural leadership role in the team. I feel like when your young players have the attitude that they're good enough but not being consistent you're on to a good thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back