Preview Round 11, 2021: St.Kilda v North Melbourne - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 29th May, 4:35PM AEST *ROSS 150TH* *CLAVARINO DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • Kangaroos

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have it on good authority that some with in the club have the view that the changes were gutless.
Yeah but thats emotive rubbish from uninformed people - at least, I'd hope thats the case or the club is differing on direction which is never a good sign.
Our pool of players to select from is shallower than a kiddie pool and to be honest, until the game is over the coaching staff have selected the team they feel gives us the best chance for the win.
On the players now. If they play like they can we'll demolish North, if they play like they have been then it's going to be a long week.

Ratten said he was forced to “throw the magnets around” after the late surge in hurt players.

With just three players outside the named team, including emergencies, available to pick, he had to hold fire on culling more underperforming players, for now.

“It’s easy to say let’s make all these changes. But we are trying to win the game and address that performance we had. Sometimes you give players the opportunity to respond,” Ratten said on Friday.

“Also, it’s the availability we have got. We’ve got three players outside of our emergences available. One is a category B ruckman, one is a first-year player and one is a second-year player.

“There have been some conversations around our people’s form and what they have done so far, and probably a little bit like our season it has been inconsistent. Some of the players that we have relied on are in that space.

“There have been some harder conversations this week about performing to the level otherwise they are on their last chance before they get put out of the team.”

"4 thrashings in 10 games is ok... but if it's 5 in 11... lookout!"

November 2019 Time Trial results:

TOP 10

Ed Phillips
Doulton Langlands
Josh Battle
Seb Ross
Jack Sinclair
Jack Lonie
Jimmy Webster
Jack Bytel
Dan Butler
Nick Hind

I suspect Bytel's tank is fine.

This result is still no excuse for Battle on a wing either.
Probably not as slow as people think either, but don't let facts get in the way of a good story

Ratten said he was forced to “throw the magnets around” after the late surge in hurt players.

With just three players outside the named team, including emergencies, available to pick, he had to hold fire on culling more underperforming players, for now.

“It’s easy to say let’s make all these changes. But we are trying to win the game and address that performance we had. Sometimes you give players the opportunity to respond,” Ratten said on Friday.

“Also, it’s the availability we have got. We’ve got three players outside of our emergences available. One is a category B ruckman, one is a first-year player and one is a second-year player.

“There have been some conversations around our people’s form and what they have done so far, and probably a little bit like our season it has been inconsistent. Some of the players that we have relied on are in that space.

“There have been some harder conversations this week about performing to the level otherwise they are on their last chance before they get put out of the team.”

Just confirms the fact that most commentators can't read let alone write.

1622174101803.png

Injured : (Adjective)

hurt or physically harmed:

As in Hunter Clark is unable to play this week because he is injured (ie hurt or physically harmed)

I understand that it is a predicament to be in when the cupboard is so bare and I am fine with Ratten not wielding the axe. His error in judgement was to let his emotions get the better of him after the game and talk about selection in the way he did.

Was he? Pretty sure he rolled between HFF and Mid and the dogs natural gameplan is to swarm the ball and spread.

Could also argue that Bytel starts to develp a bit more outside game if he has some more support (eg Bont, Macrae etc etc)

He may do that but we haven’t got them unfortunately. And as you say smith did play hff as well. Bytel pretty much just plays inside mid at the moment. Once dunstan was picked he was always out. You could certainly argue dunstan didn’t need to be picked.

lol - this latest article with the explanation from Ratts won’t go down well.

I
Yeah but thats emotive rubbish from uninformed people - at least, I'd hope thats the case or the club is differing on direction which is never a good sign.
Our pool of players to select from is shallower than a kiddie pool and to be honest, until the game is over the coaching staff have selected the team they feel gives us the best chance for the win.
On the players now. If they play like they can we'll demolish North, if they play like they have been then it's going to be a long week.
think the issue is more from the clubs big talk about changes and playing for the jumper. Then proceed to drop Lonie , Bytel .

I

think the issue is more from the clubs big talk about changes and playing for the jumper. Then proceed to drop Lonie , Bytel .
Wasn’t it just ratts just straight after the game. Doubt he was thinking straight but even if he was the injuries have changed his mind and so they should. I wouldn’t want a coach to go through with something when things change just because he said it a few days earlier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only reason Hill and Butler didn't get the flick is that the cupboard is bare, with only Long a remote forward or onball chance, but he is not good enough at either

And you'd suggest that if we did they probably would have more heat on them. Well Butler does have a replacement, but he has been even more inconsistent. Out of our small forwards Higgins has 15 goals, Butler with 10 and Lonie with 4 - and those only coming from 2 games.

The only reason Hill and Butler didn't get the flick is that the cupboard is bare, with only Long a remote forward or onball chance, but he is not good enough at either

Yeah it's all very well to say that Ratten should have axed some big names to make a statement but we don't have that luxury with our lack of depth.

With a fully fit list we could afford to drop a couple of big names and replace them with some other quality players but we can't do that at the moment.

I wonder if those who are bemoaning our “lack of depth” for our lack of worthwhile choices to bring in this week (or for not making more changes) realise that the only ones on our senior list who are seemingly available this week that aren’t named in the 22 are Lonie, Long, Bytel, Connelly and Allison. Plus 3 on the rookie list (Joyce, Hunter and Alabakis).

All of the following are listed/reported as injured (or are returning this week from a few weeks out injured)

Marshall
Gresham
Jones
Clark
Hannebery
Carlisle
Paton
Roberton
Kent
Mackenzie
Frawley
McKernan

Any club that’s down to those approx 34-42 on the list/in the pecking order is going to be down to slim pickings, just quietly. Either raw kids who aren’t ready, or “list cloggers” who are about to be delisted.

Especially if it’s mainly their best 22/25 types who are the ones injured. As is the case with us.

Please, don’t start with facts here…

Dunstan's numbers suggest he may have taken his game to another level. Kicking multiple goals each week is very encouraging. He's probably the best performed player in the whole VFL comp right now.

Yes he was poor in the Richmond game, but worth remembering he was a late inclusion. Then went back to VFL and continued to dominate.

I for one am stoked for him and hope he kills it. He always had potential, maybe it's finally going to be realised.

And if that means he takes the spot of a young inside mid, well too bad they'll need to up their game to get a spot in the team or learn to play another position.

People cry for selection integrity…..nek minit, why is Dunstan in?

Why do you say this today?

I think he pussied out with selection.

Apart from Clark, the extra injuries were fringe players. He had other options.

I don't think he's leading the club. My gut tells me the players don't have faith in him either.... not really.

Too busy being likeable.

I know you'll disagree ... that's ok.

I hope I've gone early, but he's got the richos about him for me right now.

I know you don't seem to think how we go on game day is down to the coach... i beg to differ.

So i think it's same sh*t different day. More wasted years.

For me.... move him on.

I think he pussied out with selection.

Apart from Clark, the extra injuries were fringe players. He had other options.

I don't think he's leading the club. My gut tells me the players don't have faith in him either.... not really.

Too busy being likeable.

I know you'll disagree ... that's ok.

I hope I've gone early, but he's got the richos about him for me right now.

I know you don't seem to think how we go on game day is down to the coach... i beg to differ.

So i think it's same sh*t different day. More wasted years.

For me.... move him on.
No I think coaching is obviously important or otherwise Clarkson would rated the same as noble. I do feel though he was hamstrung with selection even if some where fringe players. Let’s face most who are upset with him seem to be about bytel or hill. Once they decided to play dunstan and that’s fair enough bytel was gone. With hill well I think his previous 3 games made him safe. I doubt he was ever dropping him. The only other one is butler and really the only other option was lonie. They went for butler. No biggie there.

I have no clue if ratts is a good bad or indifferent coach. I never wanted him because his record was just ok. We have him now and in one completed season we won a final. Our first for about 9 years so a clear pass mark. In his second season we are very unlikely to make finals. A clear failure. Based on that deserves his final year. Let’s face it if the years were reversed we would be all over him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back