Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
Whilst Horne may be the no.1 pick atm, wouldnt be a surprise to see 1-2 bolters come through like bont, Oliver did in previous years. May give Norf pause for consideration too. Still a long way to go.

as an aside, how does Horne rate versus Rowell at similar times? Rowell was the clear no.1, and rightly so, is Horne thought to be similar in skill and talent etc. or is this years draft crop not rated as high as the Rowell year?
Horne has some amazing moments in games but his accumulation must be a knock on him...I wouldn't demand that he be racking them up but he quite regularly gets mid teens in possessions. His physicality and explosiveness are obviously next level elite but Rowell for example was always getting big numbers on top of his other elite attributes.

Horne has some amazing moments in games but his accumulation must be a knock on him...I wouldn't demand that he be racking them up but he quite regularly gets mid teens in possessions. His physicality and explosiveness are obviously next level elite but Rowell for example was always getting big numbers on top of his other elite attributes.
Isn’t Horne playing against men in the sanfl? The video someone posted of him strong arming a grown man was incredible. With all due respect to Rowell, Horne looks like he could be a generational player.

Isn’t Horne playing against men in the sanfl? The video someone posted of him strong arming a grown man was incredible. With all due respect to Rowell, Horne looks like he could be a generational player.
Yep, he's doing it in the toughest league outside the AFL against grown men. Rowell was outstanding, but was doing it in NAB league against his peers.

Horne is going to be a special player

If Fahey's value rises and brings him closer to a top 10 pick, I'd be very interested in trading a combination of picks for GWS's second first rounder. No way they give up Collingwood's, but their second pick could just be used up as real estate to match a bid for him and I'd like to think we could capitalise on that somehow.

If Fahey's value rises and brings him closer to a top 10 pick, I'd be very interested in trading a combination of picks for GWS's second first rounder. No way they give up Collingwood's, but their second pick could just be used up as real estate to match a bid for him and I'd like to think we could capitalise on that somehow.
Deals like this if it eventuates are what will change the perception of our current position. I reckon this time next year we could very well sitting here with a whole bunch of top end draft talent. I look forward to the media saying we are way too young and need to add senior players 😂

Could do the same with Bulldogs first pick given Luke Darcy's son is now a prospective top 5 pick & with Jase Burgoyne also a top 20 pick. Those are the picks to target. GWS made out like bandits with Magpies top pick this year (the one club that really doesn't need to have draft windfalls given their list talent) . Clubs that are on the ball can really profit from underselling these pick clubs are looking to offload.

I have two Mids I am following closely, both bolters.

knightmare now has one of them top 10(Callaghan at 11 also).

8. Connor MacDonald
As a goalkicking midfielder, McDonald has several weapons. A strong contested ball winner and tackler, McDonald is a high-volume ball winner and combines this with acceleration, a high work rate and good skills. When used forward of centre, MacDonald presents an aerial marking threat and hits the scoreboard, averaging one goal per game so far in the NAB League despite playing predominantly through the midfield.

Last edited:
Could do the same with Bulldogs first pick given Luke Darcy's son is now a prospective top 5 pick & with Jase Burgoyne also a top 20 pick. Those are the picks to target. GWS made out like bandits with Magpies top pick this year (the one club that really doesn't need to have draft windfalls given their list talent) . Clubs that are on the ball can really profit from underselling these pick clubs are looking to offload.

This is also the way forward I think for clubs that have multiple premierships like Richmond trade your first for another clubs that you think will be lower to keep the talent rolling in and hopefully not the drop like us and Brisbane had.

It’s the same as Mitchell’s kids what if he Coach for as long as Clarko has been and still is does he want to Coach his kids or do they go to another club before of this.

Last edited:
I have two Mids I am following closely, both bolters.

knightmare now us one of them top 10(Callaghan at 11 also).

8. Connor MacDonald
As a goalkicking midfielder, McDonald has several weapons. A strong contested ball winner and tackler, McDonald is a high-volume ball winner and combines this with acceleration, a high work rate and good skills. When used forward of centre, MacDonald presents an aerial marking threat and hits the scoreboard, averaging one goal per game so far in the NAB League despite playing predominantly through the midfield.
Are we reaching for them with Pick 2?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is
Sonsie seems the consensus at 3 at this stage.
I had assumed that because he had played for BH and a lot of posters had a watch on him that he was one of our NGAs but unfort it appears not. It was more that is he a top end draft prospect...

Sonsie seems the consensus at 3 at this stage.
Ive seen too many red flags from Sonsie to be sold on him at 3, games where he has no influence in the centre, gathering poss for the sake of stat boosting, kicks hitting the grass too often ect, as a small forw he is good, but as a mid there are some concerns, Geelong VFL game he was one of the worst, he was well beaten against Tasmania in the centre and being forced forward to be of any use, then for BHH far too often kicking the ball to grass or demanding HR on the outside having little influence on the inside, his goal kicking and forward craft are good, but he lacks speed and pressure, he seems very small for a mid and almost scared of contested football, so im not blindly following the Sonsie bandwagon.

2019 he was quite good as a forward, but im not liking his midfield craft as much this season and it seems im the only one calling it as i see it again.

Last edited:
Ive seen too many red flags from Sonsie to be sold on him at 3, games where he has no influence in the centre, gathering poss for the sake of stat boosting, kicks hitting the grass too often ect, as a small forw he is good, but as a mid there are some concerns, Geelong VFL game he was one of the worst, he was well beaten against Tasmania in the centre and being forced forward to be of any use, then for BHH far too often kicking the nall to grass or demanding HR on the outside, his goal kicking and forward craft are good, but he lacks speed and pressure, so im not blindly following the Sonsie bandwagon.

2019 he was quite good as a forward, but im not liking his midfield craft as much.
What's your take on Callaghan atm? By all reports he's got some tools to work with

What's your take on Callaghan atm? By all reports he's got some tools to work with
I have really liked Callaghan, i have mentioned him a few times in this thread, very smart and agile outside/inside mid, he and Sinn are very impressive as hbf/wings for Sandy, Callaghan would be the taller Brad Hill type and Sinn the Isaac Smith type winger to give some idea of their roles.

Davo-27
Who you think our pick 2 will go well with Jai & Worpedo
Its hard to tell before the champs are played as things become a lot clearer after the championships, theres 3 Sandringham players who we could choose from Chesser, Callaghan or Sinn, theres a handful of interstaters who could be options as well, Roberts, Johnson, Erasmus and Rachele are possibles also i think, we will see who steps up under the pressure of finals and the championships?

Callaghan is charging up the rankings. Won't be at all surprised if he's the consensus pick 3 by October.

Its hard to tell before the champs are played as things become a lot clearer after the championships, theres 3 Sandringham players who we could choose from Chesser, Callaghan or Sinn, theres a handful of interstaters who could be options as well, Roberts, Johnson, Erasmus and Rachele are possibles also i think, we will see who steps up under the pressure of finals and the championships?
Would love it if we could get our hands on 2 of Sinn, Callaghan and Roberts. Nothing better than smooth moving classy left footers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back