Recommitted Jake Stringer [re-signed until 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

would offer 4@500 rather than 3@600 to see him through

id offer him 3 @ 550k with incentives that would bring it up to 700k ish and trigger for an extra year. If he isn't happy with that then he can walk and play elsewhere for big cash

he is way too inconsistent to throw good money at and our current list profile doesn't need us throwing money at anyone other than legit guns.

At Essendon he has been relatively consistent though just more a top 8-12 player rather than one of the best players in the side.

For 3 years now he has consistently hits the scoreboard and has been a part of our statistically best centre square set up.

Saying Stringer isn’t worth 800k a year doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player for Essendon. He does lack meat and potatoes to his game but the fact he is usually good for creating 1 or 2 goals a game from nothing makes him fairly valuable.

The narrative that he beats up on bad teams isn’t correct at all either.

I dont think anyone is saying he isnt a good player. He just doesnt have the same consistency you would want from someone on big coin.

Especially if its similar to what Merrett accepted (which I suspect is a bargain if he stays fit for all 6 seasons).

I dont think anyone is saying he isnt a good player. He just doesnt have the same consistency you would want from someone on big coin.

Especially if its similar to what Merrett accepted (which I suspect is a bargain if he stays fit for all 6 seasons).

My point is he is fairly consistent just hasn’t really had those peak performances. The way people talk about him you’d think he was ripping games apart 4 or 5 times a year and doing nothing most weeks.

The fact is he’s pretty consistent with his 10-15 disposal games with 1-3 goals a game whilst playing for Essendon.

I think most EFC fans would agree there should be a big gulf in pay between Merrett and Stringer.

So media saying his current deal was 500k a year

He wants a pay rise and 4 years Essendon only want to offer 2

Wouldn’t want to pay him more than 600k

Can’t see why we would. Jakes management can ask for whatever they want but unless another club is making him an offer around that mark I don’t see why Essendon up their offer.

So media saying his current deal was 500k a year

He wants a pay rise and 4 years Essendon only want to offer 2

Wouldn’t want to pay him more than 600k
Being a gambling addicted he wiped out most of his 1st half in the afl.

He needs a decent contract with a big chunk going on child support. Not sure he is a scholar either so post footy options might be limited. He will be chasing a big pay day.

Being a gambling addicted he wiped out most of his 1st half in the afl.

He needs a decent contract with a big chunk going on child support. Not sure he is a scholar either so post footy options might be limited. He will be chasing a big pay day.

Agreed. If there is a big offer out there for him I can see him wanting to take it but I just don’t think that offer exists.

If you’re a list manager and you sign Stringer to a big contract you’d have no one to blame but yourself if it didn’t work out. Just can’t see any club taking the risk.

Agreed. If there is a big offer out there for him I can see him wanting to take it but I just don’t think that offer exists.

If you’re a list manager and you sign Stringer to a big contract you’d have no one to blame but yourself if it didn’t work out. Just can’t see any club taking the risk.
And after last year if you got something decent for him it could add to your growing list of very good kids. You ended up better off after the not so fab 3 walked out.

And after last year if you got something decent for him it could add to your growing list of very good kids. You ended up better off after the not so fab 3 walked out.
Yeah, its a catch-22 for an opposition club who wants him. Offer him a big contract, we'll expect a good-to-big trade. He's been a very good player for us, but he hasn't performed consistently at the top level to justify a big contract. So any other teams going, it will cost cap, picks, and he might not perform and/or be injured.

I just don't think the demand will be there. If he plays another 9 games like he did against Hawthorn, then maybe.

That said, I'd be fine with a 3 year deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't that just show whats wrong with AFL ratings though. Stringer better than Greene. Nope. Not even close.

For a forward the big difference in there is score involvements. Greene is 50% better than Stringer.
I’m not disagreeing there and I pay no attention to the rankings but the rest of those stats show he has been pretty consistent this year which has been the huge knock on him by many.

and How many years has he been with us?
Maybe the penny has finally dropped?
He certainly looks a lot fitter and is moving better. He is one of our most important players and whilst I would pay massive overs to keep him I’d hate to see us lowball him and lose him

Maybe the penny has finally dropped?
He certainly looks a lot fitter and is moving better. He is one of our most important players and whilst I would pay massive overs to keep him I’d hate to see us lowball him and lose him

we just need to provide incentives for him. something 550k over 3 years with clauses to reach 700k + trigger another year.

seems fair to me given his tenure since his been with us.

The comparison with Toby is a joke .... takes out a poor game when injured for stringer to pump up his numbers .... how about Toby’s game vs the tigers when he broke his shoulder?

Essendon don't give up Daniher for pick 9 and future pick - Dodo is stupid asking for more
Dogs don't give up Dunkley for pick 8 and future pick - Dogs smart asking for more

Dodo hard to deal with meme in full swing, brah
I know this was posted a couple of months ago but still.

Daniher was on the table for 9 and future first (5). 3347 points.

Dunkley on the table 8 and future second (~25). 2307 points.

That’s a pick 14 difference. That’s before you include that Daniher couldn’t get on the field at that point. Plus pick 8 was worth nothing to the dogs because of JUH. So it makes the comparison even more lopsided.

With this in mind Stringer worth 3 firsts?

I’m not disagreeing there and I pay no attention to the rankings but the rest of those stats show he has been pretty consistent this year which has been the huge knock on him by many.

Averages dont tell you consistency.

Bruce averages 3 goals a game but if you exclude the Roos game its 2 goals a game.

An in depth review would look at performance against top 9 teams vs bottom 9 teams, totals as well as averages.

And it would show Stringer doing far better against 10 to 18 teams.

Greene kicked 5 against Melbourne and 4 against the Dogs. Stringer kicked 4 against Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back