List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly had some disagreements with LP1. On this though, I agree. Why pay up the future 1st (which we don't have yet anyway) when we don't need to?

Getting Ladhams cheaper, then using that future 1st wisely gets us closer to a flag more likely.
It isn’t that. It’s that Caesar, who I argue with plenty, took the time to construct a reasonable argument and LP1 lazily just responded with the same one liner that Caesar was responding to. He never justifies a position. He just states it, and floods the board with it, from unwarranted authority.

Had a good think about this.
Let's revisit last year's trade period. We gave up Aliir in order to get a ruck which we needed desperately & it's fair to say, elevated us back into the finals.
Getting Hickey in improved us but losing Aliir didn't change much defensively & if anything, our defence improved & he didn't want to play ruck. It'
s irrelevant to our end result how well Aliir went for Port.
We achieved the desired result when making the trade.

Now here we are again. Sure losing Dawson hurts us but once again, with the improvement expected to come from Blakey & Campbell going forward, they can more than cover the loss of Dawson. Then we can add the unknown with Stephens who would surely improve. The improvement in each of our youngsters this year can easily cover the loss.

We can gain Ladhams to consolidate in the ruck & is handy forward when resting. The tandem pair of Hickey & Ladhams will once again elevate us to another level & having watched the replay of the GF again the other night I have NO DOUBT in my mind that it was the rucking of a younger Jackson that got things going Melbourne's way as they overwhelmed the Bulldog rucks. There was no letup when Maxy Gawn rested & Jackson turned the game along with Petracca.

So we are going to lose Dawson either now or later in a few years. We want Ladhams. As with last year's trade we gave up something to get something, we will once again accept what the Crows are offering provided it is adequate to get us Ladhams. That result will undoubtedly improve us no end.
We have struggled at the clearances for a few years now & lost momentum each time Hickey needed to rest. Ladhams will continue our momentum when Hickey goes off or goes forward & both boys can apply themselves well when forward & provide a threat up forward. Ladhams too will embrace our culture as Hickey has & the boys will love him & demand plenty from him.

I have no doubt that if we accept Melbourne's future first for Dawson, we will be more than happy to hand it over to Port for Ladhams with the hope they throw a future late pick at us to make it fair.
The clubs will sort things out.
We should be proud that our club has turned a pick 56 as an 18 year old into a future first round pick between 14 & 24 as a 25 year old when next season gets underway. He has 6 years in him.

We're just waiting to see if anything else gets thrown our way but the club would be feeling as though they have won the trade period if they lost a half back/winger & gained a 8-10 year ruckman. Think Mummy. That was a masterstroke by Roos. Ladhams can improve year on year in our system & improve our game whereas Dawson will be a terrific looking player for Crows but we can cover the guy.

Let's get excited.

Out: A position we have been able to cover over the last 6 years.
In: A position we've been unable to find stability in since we lost Mummy & Pyke.

Don't forget we had Mummy & Pyke together & we won a flag.
We tried Tippett & Naismith & just fell short & both guys hardly played together as one was always injured. Unlucky.
Now we can get Hickey & Ladhams.
In the end, if these two can provide our up & coming midfielders with quality service & second efforts all game, we are one hell of a team for the next few years. This in turn will make us an attractive destination for any disgruntled want-away Adelaide Crow players going forward.
What goes around comes around.
Just accept it Swans & let's get cracking.
Great post, Ted. You just brought a tear to my eye

Pick 12

Matthew Johnson
Midfielder
192cm/80kg
16/3/03
Subiaco/Western Australia

Was named Western Australia's best in its win over South Australia in the under-19s curtain-raiser on Grand Final day. The tall midfielder had 20 disposals, five clearances and nine tackles and once again proved that he can do things other midfielders can't with his size, backing up his impressive first carnival game for WA a month earlier. A rising talent with many pieces to his game.

iBC59gJZ.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking beyond 1-2 years. I want us to have a pick by the early 20s this year to pick up one of the decently rated KPDs yes. We seem to have missed the opportunity for this out of a trade with Adelaide, but I still hold out hope we can use the Dees future 1st to wrangle that if we get it. So that would be off the table for Ladhams IMO.

Since Port, nor anyone else, seem to want Ladhams, as I've said, pick 31 or swap current 1sts and 39 should get it done if we say take it or leave it.

Why can't we pick up one of those decently rated KPDs with our pick 12?

Pick 12

Midfielder
192cm/80kg
16/3/03
Subiaco/Western Australia

Was named Western Australia's best in its win over South Australia in the under-19s curtain-raiser on Grand Final day. The tall midfielder had 20 disposals, five clearances and nine tackles and once again proved that he can do things other midfielders can't with his size, backing up his impressive first carnival game for WA a month earlier. A rising talent with many pieces to his game.

"Pick 12" is just too far. The names in this year's draft just get worse with every one I hear.

Not sure there is one really. The best one is going to GWS (it’s probably why we wanted pick 4 badly), as we might be able to trade up key word is “might”

I've said before if we have effectively 14 and Van Rooyen or Conway (but not if we get Ladhams) are available, I'm absolutely fine with the small reach on a needs basis. In fact if Van Rooyen is rated around late teens and we passed him up at 14, I'd be ropeable.

I still don't think we need to offer a straight swap of future 1st for Ladhams though.

Kid on the right is Robbie Fox next year if we don't bring in a KPD

20211012_182449.jpg

Kid on the right is Robbie Fox next year if we don't bring in a KPD

View attachment 1258854
Twist is that "Robbie Fox" was at FF and kicked 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we all putting "words" in "quotation marks"?
Because they're quoting or referencing things?

Like for example, the following mean two different things. All power to anyone who has regardless.

Matt Johnson has done a "Prince".

Matt Johnson has done a Prince.

Ladhams Update:

A DEAL taking Peter Ladhams to Sydney is on a knife's edge heading into Wednesday's trade deadline, after coach Ken Hinkley called the Port Adelaide ruckman to seek clarity on his future.

It's understood Hinkley buzzed Ladhams on Monday night to gauge an understanding of his situation, with the young ruckman appreciative of the call but reiterating to his coach that he wants a fresh start with the Swans.

The Swans are currently locked in protracted negotiations with the Crows over a move for Jordan Dawson, while they have also engaged the Power in talks for the contracted Ladhams.

They have indicated they would be willing to pick up the final year of the 202cm ruckman's back-ended contract, understood to be worth around $400,000, having played on significantly less during the first two seasons of his three-year deal.

For those of you interested in Brander here's something to read between the lines. We have more than enough forwards so I can't see us being a player here - we'd want him in defence you'd think.

WEST Coast remains hopeful some late trade activity elsewhere could open the door for Jarrod Brander to find a new home, with the Eagles aware that some clubs were still looking at the versatile tall.

Brander is seeking a new club after 22 games in four years, with the 22-year-old unable to cement a position at West Coast and unlikely to play his preferred tall forward role if he remains at the club.

His manager, David Trotter of Hemisphere Sports, was hopeful a move would happen before the trade deadline, with Brander willing to move to any state to keep his AFL career alive

It isn’t that. It’s that Caesar, who I argue with plenty, took the time to construct a reasonable argument and LP1 lazily just responded with the same one liner that Caesar was responding to. He never justifies a position. He just states it, and floods the board with it, from unwarranted authority.
Did you just realise that , whoops goodbye again

Hickey and Ladhams, with Amartey next in-line. Ladhams and Amartey developing under the tutelage of big Dean Cox.

That's a remarkable turnaround from last year, and has our ruck stocks in good shape for the better part of the next decade. Get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back