List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the conundrum with JVR or Bazzo is do we wait for someone who may be better at an equivalent point in time ie one year later or back our system to have them further ahead by next year's draft?
I'm in favour of the latter approach ie bird in hand vs two in bush.
No idea which of those two (or a bolter) might be better but back our team in to choose wisely.
As for the other players - the ones whose highlights I like best are unlikely to be available at our pick 16 (18).
Hope we can pick up Anderson (?) as a Cat B rookie. Got a bit of size.
Wait and see.

i think you will find that Anderson will be picked/selected before the rookie draft

Along with the potential (but unlikely) sliders in Sinn, Sonsie (if the club thinks they've been able to show enough to take the punt), Draper etc, the potentially available non-KPDs I'd consider at our first pick are:

Mitch Knevitt - tall, inside mid, but with athleticism and contested marking ability, useful up forward. If we're confident we'll get an inside mid (e.g. Sheldrick, Dittmar) or at least a hybrid type (e.g. Warner) later on in the 30s (would probably need to be ~39 as we definitely should lock in a KPD before then), then I'd probably look more to an outside player.

Darcy Wilmot - have just read a few write ups, and wouldn't be disappointed if we grabbed him. Small defender (183cm), can do both attacking and defensive, very quick, good reader of the play, can go onto a wing too. Needs to develop some more before seeing the midfield, but sounds like he's tough, great leadership potential and as the youngest in the draft, might be a value pick.

Campbell Chesser / Zac Taylor - sounds like they have a great workrate, positioning, quick (Chesser) or slippery (Taylor), classy and composed. If we plan to use them on the wing or flanks OK, remains to be seen whether they can develop defensively or go into the midfield. Chesser sounds better, bit more to him so I'd be ok with him at our first pick, but less so Taylor who might get to the 30s anyway.

Of course, if JVR is available, I'd just pick him, or if the club is confident one of the other KPDs like Bazzo will be a quality, best 22 KPD in the future, I'd "reach" and back us in to find some decent smalls in the 30s. If we were set on Bazzo, but have solid backup options in the 30s, would be ok to shuffle around, move back a few more spots into early 20s, improve our picks in the 30s etc.

Last edited:
Some decent late selection prospects here if we go midfield early.

Don't' fancy Bazzo at only 82kgs at all - doesn't' look to have the frame needed to develop his body as a KPD at AFL level.

Tyreece Lieu at 93kg looks more the business, Oscar Morrison too.

Don't' fancy Bazzo at only 82kgs at all - doesn't' look to have the frame needed to develop his body as a KPD at AFL level.

Baker Smith for a late/rookie selection could be interesting prospect. Need to see a bit more of him

Tom McCartin, who is now seen as our big hope in the lockdown KPD stocks, and was playing in a key post up forward earlier than his 3rd year, when he started playing as a KPD, was 84kg when drafted, a whole 2kg heavier than Bazzo (whose measurements might not even be up to date). Now, JVR is a more developed prospect, but there's also the danger that the bigger guys have just relied on their physique to bully smaller, skinnier opponents at junior level, and their talent/proficiency isn't actually that great. Whereas if Bazzo is showing signs at a lighter weight, maybe it suggests he's actually great at the role and lookout when he bulks up a bit.

JVR is heavier and shorter than Bazzo, if you want a kpd, JVR is 2-3cm taller than our own Gould. JVR just doesn't really have a role in our team imo, just another almost tall defender.

Taylor get's a lot of the ball and doesn't waste it, I don't know what else you could ask from a mid on the offensive part of the game.

Has a bit of dash in the congestion as well, which I don't think will translate as well into afl, but if it does then that's also a massive plus.

JVR is heavier and shorter than Bazzo, if you want a kpd, JVR is 2-3cm taller than our own Gould. JVR just doesn't really have a role in our team imo, just another almost tall defender.
I reckon the hair on the back of Kinnear's neck stood up with excitement when you said "another almost tall defender". JVR is as tall/taller than most of the guys we've had holding down our key back positions for the last few decades at least. At worst, we play him up forward where he'll probably turn out a better option than most we have on our list, except maybe McDonald. But still Bazzo might turn out the better KPD.

Also plenty of really good inside mids look vanilla on the surface. If he is able to comfortably average over 30 disposals, able to get 11 clearances in games and is a good kick and decision maker then maybe he isn't as vanilla as many people think.

Exactly this. I like Sonsie the most, I watched some of his games as a bottom-ager and the player whose game he reminded me of most was Gary Ablett Jr. But it doesn't mean he's the best fit for our midfield or the type of player we're looking for. We have a lot of young mids on our list who are/likely to be flashy and dynamic and great for a highlights reel. They've gotta be balanced out with some guys who will stick to the basics and make things easier for those more dynamic guys. That is the key to a dominant, functioning midfield. Not a midfield full of superstars.

Melbourne's midfield is a prime example. Lost in all the Petracca/Oliver hype in the GF was Viney, who had 12 clearances, three more than Petracca and more than double what Oliver had. He was feeding it out to those more dynamic blokes all night with minimal fuss.

IMO we have Mills as someone who we don't need to be flashy, but that's about it. If we're going down the midfielder route, that's the type of player I hope we're after. Although I don't think Taylor is that player. He looks plenty dynamic to me.

I reckon the hair on the back of Kinnear's neck stood up with excitement when you said "another almost tall defender". JVR is as tall/taller than most of the guys we've had holding down our key back positions for the last few decades at least. At worst, we play him up forward where he'll probably turn out a better option than most we have on our list, except maybe McDonald. But still Bazzo might turn out the better KPD.
JVR has a beautiful smooth kicking action. Watched that last match in WA where he kicked 3 goals before Bazzo was put on him and quieted him down.

Draft Advent Calendar
Advent Calendar Draft Day 20:

Number 20
on the Swans defining moments list is Adam Goodes’ Brownlow medals, 2003 & 2006 On the Monday following the Swans 44-point defeat to the Brisbane Lions in the preliminary final, Swans champion Adam Goodes tied with Collingwood’s Nathan Buckley and Adelaide’s Mark Ricciuto for the 2003 Brownlow Medal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Advent Calendar Draft Day 20:

Number 20
on the Swans defining moments list is Adam Goodes’ Brownlow medals, 2003 & 2006 On the Monday following the Swans 44-point defeat to the Brisbane Lions in the preliminary final, Swans champion Adam Goodes tied with Collingwood’s Nathan Buckley and Adelaide’s Mark Ricciuto for the 2003 Brownlow Medal
Love your work Ticky

I'm curious as to why you say our pick 16 will become 19.
That poster thinks teens are 10-12, and that 17 is not a teen, so pretty questionable views of numbers

I asked Knightmare tonight and he said that the comparison between Chesser and McInerney is a good one. The question is, for as good as McInerney is, do we want another of him?
Yep, definitely. I mean it depends on who else is available, but I'd take another McInerney at pick 18/19 in a heartbeat. Given we lost Dawson, ok we might not get the height or versatility that comes with that, but another wing option (with potential for some CBA time later on) is probably 2nd* on our list of needs after KPD. Looks to be a few more inside types that would be available later on. Apparently Chesser has high standards, good character, which would fit in with us. Another thing with Chesser is he is similar height, but already has about +10kgs on McInerney's draft weight, so could be valuable, quite quickly (admittedly has some work to do on the contested side).

*I'm expecting that Campbell, Gulden, Stephens as examples, can and will attend CBAs and stoppages more as their careers progress (or at least sooner), rather than being on a wing/flank, so another McInerney type on the wing or on a flank will suit.

Last edited:
I think the conundrum with JVR or Bazzo is do we wait for someone who may be better at an equivalent point in time ie one year later or back our system to have them further ahead by next year's draft?
I'm in favour of the latter approach ie bird in hand vs two in bush.
No idea which of those two (or a bolter) might be better but back our team in to choose wisely.
As for the other players - the ones whose highlights I like best are unlikely to be available at our pick 16 (18).
Hope we can pick up Anderson (?) as a Cat B rookie. Got a bit of size.
Wait and see.
Recruiters have been following these kids since they were just out of nappies.

Whereas I've seen JVR and Bazzo in all of two WAFL colts games.

So evidently, my opinion is bulletproof when compared to the recruiters :) ..... but to me, Bazzo just looks to be "gifted" & could become very, very, very good. One of those players that just seems to know what's going to happen before it happens. And reacts accordingly.

I wouldn't be waiting. I'd really like to see him in white with the red V.

Next year I'll do a proper 30 day calendar. To be honest the gap between Trade & Draft drives me completely nuts so anything to pass the time.
Thanks, That would go a looooong way to fill the void. I really hate this time of year because footy has finished, cricket has not started............hello.....
You do great work!!:)

Tom McCartin, who is now seen as our big hope in the lockdown KPD stocks, and was playing in a key post up forward earlier than his 3rd year, when he started playing as a KPD, was 84kg when drafted, a whole 2kg heavier than Bazzo (whose measurements might not even be up to date). Now, JVR is a more developed prospect, but there's also the danger that the bigger guys have just relied on their physique to bully smaller, skinnier opponents at junior level, and their talent/proficiency isn't actually that great. Whereas if Bazzo is showing signs at a lighter weight, maybe it suggests he's actually great at the role and lookout when he bulks up a bit.
Tommy Mc had the frame (and the genetics) to grow into. Bazzo has a set of Lizard shoulders on him. Doesn't look like he'll be able to put much on em to me. Ok for the Lizard as a dashing HB, or what's his name as a high forward in Brisbane, but I want a set of shoulders I can rest a couple of sacks of spuds on as my KPD.
Obviously I'm guessing, and your point about schools team bully is valid (Gould?).

Tommy Mc had the frame (and the genetics) to grow into. Bazzo has a set of Lizard shoulders on him. Doesn't look like he'll be able to put much on em to me. Ok for the Lizard as a dashing HB, or what's his name as a high forward in Brisbane, but I want a set of shoulders I can rest a couple of sacks of spuds on as my KPD.
Obviously I'm guessing, and your point about schools team bully is valid (Gould?).
Maybe. But I don't see Bazzo as looking any worse in terms of potential bulking up, as what say an LRT or Ted Richards or Craig Bolton got to.

He can obviously compete against larger opponents such as when he largely shut a rampant JVR down.

Just been listening to Road to the Draft on AFL.com and they spoke about Josh Ward who reportedly "wants to remain in Melbourne if he can".
Finn Callaghan (Vic) and Neil Erasmus (WA) are others who supposedly have indicated their desire to stay in their respective states.

Now none of the three are going to be available at our first pick and there is an argument that interstate clubs 'benefit' from knowing of their wishes (and avoid picking them), but once again it does illustrate the importance of the academies and the potential difficulties clubs from 'non AFL' states face.

Might be worth pointing out that all 3 are likely to go in the top 10 this year, so can afford to be more honest knowing that they will be picked up.
Players less sure of their draft standing may be more reticent to express their desire to stay at home.

Last edited:
Just been listening to Road to the Draft on AFL.com and they spoke about Josh Ward who reportedly "wants to remain in Melbourne if he can".
Finn Callaghan (Vic) and Neil Erasmus (WA) are others who supposedly have indicated their desire to stay in their respective states.

Now none of the three are going to be available at our first pick and there is an argument that interstate clubs 'benefit' from knowing of their wishes (and avoid picking them), but once again it does illustrate the importance of the academies and the potential difficulties clubs from 'non AFL' states face.

Might be worth pointing out that all 3 are likely to go in the top 10 this year, so can afford to be more honest knowing that they will be picked up.
Players less sure of their draft standing may be more reticent to express their desire to stay at home.

Yep. What are Gold Coast and GWS meant to do. I mean basically they are being locked out from top talent because those players are basically already saying they will go home at the earliest opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back