List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goater I'm far from a fan of, but at 16 (which is 19) he'd be close to best available. Double he lasts that long though. If we can't get the ultimate swing man, I want Sonsie. If we can't get JVR at our first I'd prefer us not reaching and taking a small. My first target would be Sinn but I doubt he slips that low. Sons the more realistic one, I like Draper too.
My concern w Goater is he performed in a few games only….one game that got him a metro birth, he has been on the end of some elite coaching for some time but watching him a few times he is enigmatic. We will have a player who can do slot, but not all the time imo.

Goater I'm far from a fan of, but at 16 (which is 19) he'd be close to best available. Double he lasts that long though. If we can't get the ultimate swing man, I want Sonsie. If we can't get JVR at our first I'd prefer us not reaching and taking a small. My first target would be Sinn but I doubt he slips that low. Sons the more realistic one, I like Draper too.
I am told Sinn may be a slider….so we may be a shot…Vic boys are a little under done , not as bad as last year mind you, so the large focus might be interstate Wa/ SA for us

I am told Sinn may be a slider….so we may be a shot…Vic boys are a little under done , not as bad as last year mind you, so the large focus might be interstate Wa/ SA for us

He is the one I want. Suits us to a tee.

Lack of games this year disappointing to get a real read. I am cautious w the HB at the Nab level as they all seem to getbplenty of the cheap pill. His skills in the early games he played were not great then the injury, good judges do rate him somI wonder if the body is an issue for him ?

My concern w Goater is he performed in a few games only….one game that got him a metro birth, he has been on the end of some elite coaching for some time but watching him a few times he is enigmatic. We will have a player who can do slot, but not all the time imo.

He’s not my favourite I’ll say that straight out and I agree with you

Lack of games this year disappointing to get a real read. I am cautious w the HB at the Nab level as they all seem to getbplenty of the cheap pill. His skills in the early games he played were not great then the injury, good judges do rate him somI wonder if the body is an issue for him ?

Late first rounder it’s worth the risk. Could be a top 5 talent

How could you possibly know, he's hardly played in 'recent' times?
Sinn may have only played five games of footy in the past 30 months due to injuries and COVID-impacted seasons,...

Speed is a major asset, yet missed two months this season after injuring his hamstring.

Sure highly rated at U16 level, but to date very limited minutes on the wing or in midfield and can he actually defend if played off HB?
And as kickthething says above is he simply a receiver off HB and indeed there have been grumbles that his disposal has been poorer in his limited outings this season than it has in the past.

Still seems to be rated a 1st rd pick but I'd be happy if he ended up elsewhere.

How could you possibly know, he's hardly played in 'recent' times?

Speed is a major asset, yet missed two months this season after injuring his hamstring.

Sure highly rated at U16 level, but to date very limited minutes on the wing or in midfield and can he actually defend if played off HB?
And as kickthething says above is he simply a receiver off HB and indeed there have been grumbles that his disposal has been poorer in his limited outings this season than it has in the past.

Still seems to be rated a 1st rd pick but I'd be happy if he ended up elsewhere.

Sometimes you have to take a risk and at 16 (19) we are getting a top 5 potential talent. Well worth the risk.

I'm curious as to why you say our pick 16 will become 19. We are all aware of the Daicos/Darcy nominations taking us to 18. Where is the pick that is going to take us down to 19. I'm not aware of any other father/son selections likely to take place before 18.

I'm curious as to why you say our pick 16 will become 19. We are all aware of the Daicos/Darcy nominations taking us to 18. Where is the pick that is going to take us down to 19. I'm not aware of any other father/son selections likely to take place before 18.

GWS academy player may get bid in the later part of the first. Even so 18 or 19 it’s the same thing.

That would be against what I would do and it's purely and simply about reaching, I really don't like it and never have liked it.

Don't see why you take someone rated 25 at 18, that is reaching. I don't like it and never have in the first round. Best available simple.

OK. That’s clear, you are against reaching in the draft. Got it.

Sometimes you have to take a risk and at 16 (19) we are getting a top 5 potential talent. Well worth the risk.

Oh reaching is now OK if its worth the risk.

This is why so many people don’t take you seriously

OK. That’s clear, you are against reaching in the draft. Got it.

Oh reaching is now OK if its worth the risk.

This is why so many people don’t take you seriously

There is taking a risk and there is reaching two different things. 12 months ago Sinn was a top 5 pick and on talent he’s there. Comes with some injuries this year but you don’t lose the talent.

My issue is reaching for blokes rated in the 40’s a lot earlier than that, we just delisted one.

Drafting isn’t perfect and this year happy to trust the experts in Darymple and co. My view is the same though JVR ideally if he’s there but if not go small. Get a defender at the second round then. We don’t need to complicate it this year we have 85% of the side already

There is taking a risk and there is reaching two different things. 12 months ago Sinn was a top 5 pick and on talent he’s there. Comes with some injuries this year but you don’t lose the talent.

My issue is reaching for blokes rated in the 40’s a lot earlier than that, we just delisted one.

Drafting isn’t perfect and this year happy to trust the experts in Darymple and co. My view is the same though JVR ideally if he’s there but if not go small. Get a defender at the second round then. We don’t need to complicate it this year we have 85% of the side already

Sign has played 5 games of junior football in 2 years. That is a reach regardless how you try to dress it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that I have any bearing on it but who I would like to draft in order of preference for our first (with players we could potential get at our pick)

1. Matt Johnson 192cm/80kg - tall classy inside/outside mid for WA. Unlikely to be at 16
2. Mitch Knevitt 194cm/83kg - inside big mid who can get the ball. Good endurance
3. Mitch Owens 190cm/85kg. Utility/mid burst onto the scene in vic country v metro game. Higher risk pick but good upside
4. JVR 194cm/91kg - KPP can play KPD which is a pressing need but if other players above available, feel they should be picked
5. Josh Goater 190cm/79kg Utility who has scope to develop. Skills need work but upside too good to ignore

Think we have scope to roll the dice on our first

Not that I have any bearing on it but who I would like to draft in order of preference for our first (with players we could potential get at our pick)

1. Matt Johnson 192cm/80kg - tall classy inside/outside mid for WA. Unlikely to be at 16
2. Mitch Knevitt 194cm/83kg - inside big mid who can get the ball. Good endurance
3. Mitch Owens 190cm/85kg. Utility/mid burst onto the scene in vic country v metro game. Higher risk pick but good upside
4. JVR 194cm/91kg - KPP can play KPD which is a pressing need but if other players above available, feel they should be picked
5. Josh Goater 190cm/79kg Utility who has scope to develop. Skills need work but upside too good to ignore

Think we have scope to roll the dice on our first
With Freo at 6 & 8, then West Coast at 10, it’s impossible to see Johnson getting through to our first.

I can’t see Freo passing on him. With Cerra’s departure they’ll surely pick the best available WA mid.

With Freo at 6 & 8, then West Coast at 10, it’s impossible to see Johnson getting through to our first.

I can’t see Freo passing on him. With Cerra’s departure they’ll surely pick the best available WA mid.

Agree. Was a bit disappointed with the pic slide. Would have wanted to trade up to get him.

Cannot see him getting past dons or saints even if he gets through the WA teams

Agree. Was a bit disappointed with the pic slide. Would have wanted to trade up to get him.

Cannot see him getting past dons or saints even if he gets through the WA teams

There will be a slider at 16 (or whatever it is after the bids). Not fussed one single bit.

Draft Advent Calendar
Advent Calendar Draft Day 22:

#22 Nick Blakey:

A memorable selection at #10 on draft night but not for the reason most expect. The Swans recruitment team identified an opportunity in the draft and used it, much to the chagrin of many :tongueoutv1: the AFL disliked it so much they closed the loophole after this 2018 draft.

Last edited:
A 22 Days to Go countdown:

#22 Nick Blakey:

A memorable selection at #10 on draft night but not for the reason most expect. The Swans recruitment team identified an opportunity in the draft and used it, much to the chagrin of many :tongueoutv1: the AFL disliked it so much they closed the loophole after the draft.

Still an all-time move by any club IMO.

“I’m expecting this draft to be one of those ones where down the track we look back on and think, ‘Jesus, how the hell did that happen?’,” Sydney Swans list manager Kinnear Beatson told foxfooty.com.au.
“We just haven’t seen many of the Victorian kids play regularly. Even with the South Australian and WA boys, we haven’t seen them play against great quality.
“I always say to our guys when they’re filing reports about key position players, I have to know who they’ve played on. Especially key position players.”

Sounds like we are not rating some of the more highly regarded WA and SA kids.

Might find we just go small it’s safer and we can pick a tall next year after seeing these kids more

An article from last year on stats on the Go Home Factor. A good article to have in your hip pocket to use and refer to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back