List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we certain to take Akuie as a Cat B?

No.

NGA and F/S nomination cut-off was some time last week.

There's no list of nominations anywhere as far as I can see, but he hasn't even been mentioned. Something tells me it's unlikely we go down that path, and I think it's a mistake.

Nothing to do with Rowe. I'm also not an oncologist, and I've never claimed to be.

As for the rest of the comment, it's a bit rich coming from someone who in every second post likes to portray themselves as an expert on a whole range of topics on the back of light reading and Youtube clips.
This. How ridiculous, to pillory people for suggesting Docherty might have a somewhat cautious return to football after suffering a second bout of cancer.
To be clear: neither of you are offering any logical, medical or scientific basis for this?

No.

There's no list of nominations anywhere as far as I can see, but he hasn't even been mentioned. Something tells me it's unlikely we go down that path, and I think it's a mistake.
It's a free hit. List him and see how he go s in a professional environment. It'd be strange not to.

To be clear: neither of you are offering any logical, medical or scientific basis for this?

No medical or scientific basis, no.

There's logic there, though you'll probably struggle to see it if you can't manage to look past your ego.

It's a free hit. List him and see how he go s in a professional environment. It'd be strange not to.

I don't disagree. It makes no sense to me to not list him.

I reckon Doc will take a month to recover from chemo and should be good to go for pre season.

He will a least be doing some form of training. He hasn't had surgery and effect of chemo goes away in 2-3 weeks.

Don't ride off the Doc. He will be back swinging and playing round 1.
It's a great optimistic thought, Dongiovani, but I reckon it might be prudent to look at Doc for what he is, an individual with his own unique recovery issues.

No.

I might be off here but, if we were to nominate him as a NGA pick, aren“t we obliged to use a ND pick on him? I was of the opinion that Akuie is only available as a Cat B if no team picks him in the ND or RDs.

Hello folks,
Please excuse the intrusion. Has Will Setterfield got a contract yet?
If not, do you expect the Blues to keep him? Just asking regarding a keeper league.
Cheers.

I might be off here but, if we were to nominate him as a NGA pick, aren“t we obliged to use a ND pick on him? I was of the opinion that Akuie is only available as a Cat B if no team picks him in the ND or RDs.

Nope. See AFL rules below.

15.8 Qualified NGA Players

(b) Qualified NGA Player Draft Selection

Subject to the requirements of this Rule 15.8, a Club may include a Qualified NGA Player as a Player on its Primary List by selecting the Qualified NGA Player at the National Draft Selection Meeting in accordance with the Determination for the National Draft Bidding System.

(c) Rookie Pre-selection
If a Qualified NGA Player is eligible to be selected in the National DraftSelection Meeting and is not selected, the relevant Club may include the Player on its Rookie List prior to the Rookie Draft Selection Meeting by lodging Form 34A by the date required by the AFL.

So we can select Akuei in the ND if we want him on our primary list, but if not selected we can automatically pre-list him on our rookie list as a Category B rookie.

Nope. See AFL rules below.

So we can select Akuei in the ND if we want him on our primary list, but if not selected we can automatically pre-list him on our rookie list as a Category B rookie.

As we know we aren’t going to take him a he ND, what would we nominate him for? Whilst we haven’t heard anything from the club I expected we would pre list him as a rookie, if he were to be overlooked at the ND.

Could the club just be keeping quiet, as to not let other clubs know we want him? It seems a free hit to me, unless we are targeting a different Cat B rookie, who else qualifies?

As we know we aren’t going to take him a he ND, what would we nominate him for? Whilst we haven’t heard anything from the club I expected we would pre list him as a rookie, if he were to be overlooked at the ND.

I believe we still have to nominate him as a player we're intending to sign, even though he's from our NGA zone.

We've passed on players previously, just as Collingwood have opted this year to pass on Youseph Dib.

The AFL don't tend to make the list public, but there's usually some sort of confirmation that comes through if they've been nominated. I may very well be wrong, but in this case I'm expecting no news to be bad news.

Could the club just be keeping quiet, as to not let other clubs know we want him? It seems a free hit to me, unless we are targeting a different Cat B rookie, who else qualifies?

No - what is communicated to clubs would be different to what is communicated to the public.

We don't get an official list of nominations, but clubs certainly would.

Re: who else qualifies, see below for the rules regarding the Cat B rookie list -

In addition to maintaining the maximum number of allowable Category A Rookie Players on their Rookie List under Rule 10.1, each Club may include a maximum of two (2) extra Players on its Category B Rookie List provided those Players are:
(i) former International Scholarship List Players at that Club who have been nominated under Rule 13.5 or 13.8;
(ii) former Club Academy players at that Club who have been nominated under Rule 14.4;
(iii) International Players;
(iv) Players who have not been registered or played in an Australian football competition for 3 years immediately before inclusion on the Rookie List;
(v) a Qualified NGA Player of the Club who has been nominated in accordance with Rule 15.8(c).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to nominate him before the rookie draft. If we nominate him before the national draft, we're obligated to pick him with our last pick.
Correct. We are hoping and expecting he does not get picked up in the national draft - which he has to nominate for - and we can then pre-list him as a category B before the rookie draft. He is still in the mix.

Another one if you don't mind, Why did Carlton give Sam Philp a 2-year extension. Has he shown some hidden ability?

Another one if you don't mind, Why did Carlton give Sam Philp a 2-year extension. Has he shown some hidden ability?

Pick 20 in the draft. 20 years old.
Year one - showed plenty
Year two - write off through injury.

Why wouldn't they extend his contract?

Thanks, mate. I had no idea he was injured this year.

Tuesday, 25 May 2021

Carlton rules Sam Philp out for the remainder of the 2021 season, giving the club the flexibility to potentially add a third player to its list in the 2021 AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft.

Philp, who played two senior games for the Blues in 2020 has been battling groin and hip-flexor injuries since the summer break.
"We felt that he was really getting there and his groins had settled down, but when the loads have gone up and we've introduced game play the groins haven't quite handled that load," Blues high-performance boss Andrew Russell said.

Riley Beveridge for AFL.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Back