Training 2022 pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Not me, I think it's much more likely that both Florent and Campbell will be on opposite wings, and others will be trying push them out...

I reckon you jumped off the Florent bandwagon one stop to early, and missed out on the party year!

Ollie's early great form was integral to our great start in 2021. Whether it was form or carrying injury his performance dropped off in the second half of the season.

While it's great to see so many of our senior stars back ahead of schedule, I am disappointed they seem to have been the focus of our media department since training resumed. They have got all year to make a fuss of guys like Buddy, Heeney, Papley and Kennedy. The first two weeks of pre-season for the first to fourth year players are our best chance to get a look at how the Goulds, Sheathers, McLeans etc of the Swans are going.

Minor complaint but it does irk me.

Totally get what you are saying however I can understand our media dept using our stars to drive memberships.

Ollie's early great form was integral to our great start in 2021. Whether it was form or carrying injury his performance dropped off in the second half of the season.
If it was form drop off I reckon he would have been dropped, he wasn't so he may have been playing with injury...

Either way, I still think he is going to be good enough to hold his spot.

I still think that most of this board is looking for all the players to achieve superstar status, when what the coaches want is for them to play their role. These are his career stats in a team that hasn't necessarily played all that well over the duration, and where senior players are regularly achieving 25-30+.

I'm happy with where he is at, and expect him to continue to improve...

1638321367387.png

If it was form drop off I reckon he would have been dropped, he wasn't so he may have been playing with injury...

Either way, I still think he is going to be good enough to hold his spot.

I still think that most of this board is looking for all the players to achieve superstar status, when what the coaches want is for them to play their role. These are his career stats in a team that hasn't necessarily played all that well over the duration, and where senior players are regularly achieving 25-30+.

I'm happy with where he is at, and expect him to continue to improve...

View attachment 1290344
I've brought this up before, but Florent's kicking efficiency improved to 67.4% this year (now rated as above average by AFL Stats), his career average is 58.2% (so it's actually a larger improvement on previous years than the gap). One would assume it'll continue to rise, maybe not as much per year. He's rated above average for effective kicks, average for effective disposals. I don't think he'll get to Dawson's level but modest improvements to his ball use over the next few years will put him above average in both. Interestingly he (season) averaged slightly more inside 50s than the likes of Dawson, Blakey, McInerney, so arguably has harder kicks to pull off (slightly), has higher clanger average, but < 1 per game more (and almost identical with Dawson from only a few ave disposals difference), and also averages less 'frees against' than Dawson and McInerney for those who'll undoubtedly pick on the times he gets caught with it (so doesn't get a clanger away).

That said, others could overtake (Campbell) / outpace (McInerney) him even if he does keep improving (they are obviously younger). But I don't think he's as dire as some of the gameday commentary has suggested.

The big question for Braeden will be where to play him. For mine he, like Errol, should rotate through wing and high half forward. But we have two, possibly three, pretty good operators in that area in Heeney, Florent and Hayward. Perhaps Hayward is further forward. JMac also has claims if not playing HBF.
At least one, if not more, very decent player is going to be playing VFL.

Couldn’t agree more. We need his kicking up and around the ball. I’d be playing majority half forward and slowly increasing his midfield time. No doubt in my mind he will be the superior player to gulden, but due to the role he played and probably not physically ready he wasn’t able to showcase that this year. Still a very very encouraging season from him though

Florent just needs to tidy up his ball use. I like everything else in his game. He is incredibly hard to tackle and unbelievably strong for his size. He wins a lot of contests he has no right to. He just over cooks his kicks far too often. His kick is technically sound so I suspect it’s all in his head and him rushing himself

Not me, I think it's much more likely that both Florent and Campbell will be on opposite wings, and others will be trying push them out...

I reckon you jumped off the Florent bandwagon one stop to early, and missed out on the party year!

Not my fault he keeps delaying the party every year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has Lance stirred up the oldies who normally would not return until next week.
Day 1 Luke was sitting on the fence - next day training
Day 2 JPK, Heeney, Papley ...
Day 3 Rampe, Cunningham

Day 3 Rampe, Cunningham

I know it's a picture in motion, but good to see Rampe finally getting to KPD height with the extra few cms of hair.

Day 3 Rampe, Cunningham

No, it’s happening across all clubs.

While the break is mandated, you can’t stop them from coming in and players realise now with the fitness required that they have to train to an elite level pretty the full 12 months now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No, it’s happening across all clubs.

While the break is mandated, you can’t stop them from coming in and players realise now with the fitness required that they have to train to an elite level pretty the full 12 months now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think a portion of it is marketing and pr. Players come back early, do a few light sessions, get the pictures in the media, sell the dream and then slowly taper off as no one notices

Interesting hearing Dean Cox mention Campbell, Gulden and Chad Warner as players we're expecting to step up and become consistent mids. Combined with the talk of Heeney spending more time in the mids, and the existing crew in there, I gotta say I don't see how it will work.

I would love to be proven wrong and not saying that I won't be, but I just can't see how at this stage.

Interesting hearing Dean Cox mention Campbell, Gulden and Chad Warner as players we're expecting to step up and become consistent mids. Combined with the talk of Heeney spending more time in the mids, and the existing crew in there, I gotta say I don't see how it will work.

I would love to be proven wrong and not saying that I won't be, but I just can't see how at this stage.
Imagine part of it is as JPK spends less time in there, then retires. I also can't imagine he means that their role will be full time mids, it just can't work. I can see Campbell, Gulden playing a few minutes in there, but mostly off half forward or a wing. Chad I think will eventually.

Unless....

Parker moves to the forward line
Mills resumes his role in defence
Florent becomes permanent winger
Sheldrick is used as a small fwd/def

If there's anyone I haven't alienated by this, I'll try to think of something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back