Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

With Covid now a realistic threat to team playing numbers, we could well see 15 a side games being played!
The 5-5-5 lineup will prove to those doubters a success and will lead the AFL adopting it as the standard model.

For those still unsure what this is, its 5 defenders [no back pocket], 5 mids - 2 wings out of the square at ball ups, a centreman, a ruck and on baller in the square. 5 forwards [no forward pocket]. Bench can be as it is - 4, or whatever make up ie 2 interchange, 2 substitutes etc.
15 aside makes for a fast, long kicking game, with 1:1 accountable football making a comeback!

Seriously, why keep the 5:5:5?

Seriously, why keep the 5:5:5?
As in the current lining up 6-6-6 at the start of play and after goals are scored!
15 aside visually changes very little when watching the game, except for the the freeing up of the play. It's used in comps where fielding teams of 18 is difficult, like this season of AFL may become!!!

Last edited:
Reckon Lance Franklins 2011 Prelim goal may be the best of all time.
Only time I've ever felt the stands at the G move with the amount of noise from all the fans.

I am hawthorn to the core but can ignore the next few mins and the result and say being there for that game and that goal is as good as it gets.

Even lethal got carried away in the comm box.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yuppies? Now that's a description I haven't heard for a coupla decades. I'd more lean more toward describing the MMF crowd as hipstennials, or Gen X diehards.

And the band history there and Golden Plains is immense
I'm going to be that old guy but it was gold in it's early incarnation when it was really rock n roll scumbags attending before the hisptennials (love that) figured out how great it was. I haven't bothered since Dead Moon played.

I'm going to be that old guy but it was gold in it's early incarnation when it was really rock n roll scumbags attending before the hisptennials (love that) figured out how great it was. I haven't bothered since Dead Moon played.

The Powder Monkeys - unquestionably the greatest live band in this country in the last 30 years. Vale John Nolan.

Yeah, I get pretty frustrated with some of the line-ups nowadays Rusty, appeasing the indie-folk lightweights too much I think. There's always a hidden gem or two over the weekend though which keeps me going back. Or maybe it's just the booze and the banter?

Too many scrubs playing AFL

Therefore the AFL should:
1. reduce list size down to 30
2. clubs should have access to recruit replacements during the year to cover long term injury
3. clubs should have no development players on their list - thus few players under age 21.
4. Clubs get priority access to their 18 year old project draftees... but they don't own them... they exist in the VFL or WAFL or SANFL in a common pool. The draftees don't go on your list unless you want them to play immediately and contract.
5. the league should not expand - we don't have to the depth charts to cover more teams.

Or something similar.

Young talent should develop in the state leagues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back