No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reeves before his injury was 5th in the league for hit outs to advantage, was giving Geelong an utter bath

But averages 6 touches and 2 marks a game also.

Anyways you didn't answer the question you quoted. Fully healthy where do you rate our ruck stocks compared to other clubs in the league ?

Why don't you name all the clubs that have better ruck stocks. You're the one calling them s**t. You're the one saying our rucks have been poor in recent weeks. I merely stated that their injured and we haven't been able to see them in true action

Brisbane, Richmond, Carlton, Geelong, North, Essendon, Adelaide, Port

Adelaide ? O'Brien miles better than anything we have.

Nank and Soldo I'd certainly say are superior to our duo.

Carlton,Port, Brisbane and North splitting hairs. ( Although De Koning most upside ).

I do fancy ours over Geelongs.

Carlton has 16 players sub 100 games last night and 9 sub 50. Pretty impressive they're sitting 8-2.
Mids are mostly all hitting that sweet spot though of 50-100, which, when they’re elite, is basically where you need them to be to compete at the pointy end. Their window has arrived imo.

Adelaide ? O'Brien miles better than anything we have.

Nank and Soldo I'd certainly say are superior to our duo.

Carlton,Port, Brisbane and North splitting hairs. ( Although De Koning most upside ).

I do fancy ours over Geelongs.
O'Brien who has been dropped and Adelaide are looking to off load, that O'Brien?

Why does De Koning have more upside? Reeves dominated him, being more mobile doesnt mean you have more upside/

O'Brien who has been dropped and Adelaide are looking to off load, that O'Brien?

Why does De Koning have more upside? Reeves dominated him, being more mobile doesnt mean you have more upside/

Around the ground De Koning is a factor, his marking last night was huge at times if you watched the game, he is also a year younger than Reeves.

Yeah that O' Brien he is better than any of our rucks by some distance. Ask fans of other clubs and 98% would agree, it's just your Hawthorn bias clouding your judgement.

Around the ground De Koning is a factor, his marking last night was huge at times if you watched the game, he is also a year younger than Reeves.

Yeah that O' Brien he is better than any of our rucks by some distance. Ask fans of other clubs and 98% would agree, it's just your Hawthorn bias clouding your judgement.
I think it shows you only stat watch, i don't give a s**t what opposition supporter think 99% would take Stephenson over Moore

Really our ruck situation is similiar to our midfield situation.

Low numbers of reserves to pick from and a general lack of quality across the board apart from some very raw rookies (Newk, Reeves, Lynch, etc).

Makes me question what our recruiting philosophy was these last 5 years (well prior to last year once Sam took over anways).

If for instance I am appointed coach of a mid tier country footy team and have say $80k to spend on recruitment I am spending those dollars on the best and biggest ruck, classy midfielder and gun forward I can find in the bush.

No offence to the half back flank union but those positions I will fill with any half decent player that can kick and will play for a $20 gift voucher down the local pub and a cold tinnie at the end of the game!

I think it shows you only stat watch, i don't give a s**t what opposition supporter think 99% would take Stephenson over Moore

Ah no I've just asked if you saw De Koning and his influence last night around the ground in important times.

As for Stephenson vs Moore I very much doubt that, 2 years ago they would have though so things can be fluid.

You're insanely Hawthorn bias but it's ok, lots of fans are bias towards their own, being objective irrespective of what club you support is one of the rarest commodities in most fan bases.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton has 16 players sub 100 games last night and 9 sub 50. Pretty impressive they're sitting 8-2.
Guys! He's switched teams from the cats.

Ah no I've just asked if you saw De Koning and his influence last night around the ground in important times.

As for Stephenson vs Moore I very much doubt that, 2 years ago they would have though so things can be fluid.

You're insanely Hawthorn bias but it's ok, lots of fans are bias towards their own, being objective irrespective of what club you support is one of the rarest commodities in most fan bases.
Please you went from Hawthorn have the worst rucks in the comp to only disagreeing out right with Adelaide in my list, you never responded to why O'Brien can't get a game and is stuck playing reserves.

A Ruck's job isn't to mark the ball if they can't get hitouts theyre useless and Reeves s**t's all over De Koning in the main asset of a ruck

Really our ruck situation is similiar to our midfield situation.

Low numbers of reserves to pick from and a general lack of quality across the board apart from some very raw rookies (Newk, Reeves, Lynch, etc).

Makes me question what our recruiting philosophy was these last 5 years (well prior to last year once Sam took over anways).

If for instance I am appointed coach of a mid tier country footy team and have say $80k to spend on recruitment I am spending those dollars on the best and biggest ruck, classy midfielder and gun forward I can find in the bush.

No offence to the half back flank union but those positions I will fill with any half decent player that can kick and will play for a $20 gift voucher down the local pub and a cold tinnie at the end of the game!
No offence mate but you post this same post every couple of days it seems, and just ignore that we had a top up strategy for most of those years that didn’t give us access to any high draft picks. We thought we’d bring in our midfield (outside Worpel), via trade and FA.

We know it didn’t work and are paying the price now. But that’s just where we are at.

Since the strategy has changed we are targeting mids, but we just have to be patient.

Last edited:
Please you went from Hawthorn have the worst rucks in the comp to only disagreeing out right with Adelaide in my list, you never responded to why O'Brien can't get a game and is stuck playing reserves.

A Ruck's job isn't to mark the ball if they can't get hitouts theyre useless and Reeves s**t's all over De Koning in the main asset of a ruck

A rucks job is multiple things, hit outs, mark around the ground etc.

The only reason I said splitting hairs with several sides was a healthy big boy must still be included. Once he retires our ruck stocks will be sitting well and truly rock bottom.

As for O'Brien I'm not sure what's going on internally at the Crows, but I dare say something behind the scenes might be influencing the decision as he is a quality player.

I'm not sure why you'd use that as an example though, you'd be the sort of poster that would say Worpel is worth a top 10 pick still even if he spends the next 6 weeks in the magoos.

A rucks job is multiple things, hit outs, mark around the ground etc.

The only reason I said splitting hairs with several sides was a healthy big boy must still be included. Once he retires our ruck stocks will be sitting well and truly rock bottom.

As for O'Brien I'm not sure what's going on internally at the Crows, but I dare say something behind the scenes might be influencing the decision as he is a quality player.

I'm not sure why you'd use that as an example though, you'd be the sort of poster that would say Worpel is worth a top 10 pick still even if he spends the next 6 weeks in the magoos.
What have i ever said leads you to that conclusion? Show an example or don't post s**t.

Maybe if you watched games instead of stat watch you'd understand, tip bud go read the crows board on his performances.

I reckon the biggest myth in football the us year is that Voss has fixed Carlton’s flaws.

They are still terrible defensively - weitering is a one man defensive system. Points against is a defining metric of genuine contenders and they are in the bottom half.

The improvement has come from more hardness, quality and consistency in the middle and a genuinely potent forward line.

We walked it through them when we started to control possession. Melbourne will kick 20 goals against them.

I reckon the biggest myth in football the us year is that Voss has fixed Carlton’s flaws.

They are still terrible defensively - weitering is a one man defensive system. Points against is a defining metric of genuine contenders and they are in the bottom half.

The improvement has come from more hardness, quality and consistency in the middle and a genuinely potent forward line.

We walked it through them when we started to control possession. Melbourne will kick 20 goals against them.
Carlton’s best is pretty good. Problem for them is they are nowhere near fit enough. Their mids especially are mostly exhausted by halftime.

And once their midfield drops off their weaknesses around the ground get exposed.

Dees fitness is the perfect counter to them.

Carlton’s best is pretty good. Problem for them is they are nowhere near fit enough. Their mids especially are mostly exhausted by halftime.

And once their midfield drops off their weaknesses around the ground get exposed.

Dees fitness is the perfect counter to them.
Maybe a factor but I reckon the lapses are more because their defensive system doesn’t stop teams moving the ball end to end or away from stoppage and scoring.

The opposition start to get their hands on the ball and they can’t stop them scoring.

It’s the same problem they had with Teague but they’ve got good enough in other areas to paper over it. Won’t beat good teams in September.

They are this years Sydney - look great but won’t fire a shot at the business end.

being objective irrespective of what club you support is one of the rarest commodities in most fan bases.
What a shame you don't have it. There are some around who might, but the worst kind is a lack of objectivity in their hatred of their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back