Discussion 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Trying to tank his value and get traded to us. A bit like Windy’s “back injury”

Wanted to confirm that Amon is coming too before he gave Lolnorf the news.

Well my EXPERIENCE as a junior coach for the last 3 years, says that abuse has not been an issue, neither from parents nor the players, maybe my league is incredibly lucky, maybe the issue has already been articulated enough that both parents and players are aware enough.
As for knowing you are an umpire, I didn't know that nor does it alter my opinion.

I'm not upset at all, you seem to think only your experience on the matter counts, and no matter what others' viewpoints are, their opinions are invalid. I told whoever I quoted to not bother because we've done this before and you acted in exactly the same belligerent manner.
Yet no answer on how to get more umpires. Well kids umpiring anyway. Glad your league is fine. Helps in the previous 2 years with no or little crowds because of covid. Other leagues aren’t though. Obviously the league ratts league obviously wasn’t. Mine wasn’t. The afl had to do something. The dissent rule is good. The interruption not so good. We need kids back umpiring to let juniors play and then to eventually have depth in afl footy. It’s a start.

Its really not, maybe on a per-hour basis it might stack up, but there's a lot of downtime for that payment, travel, uniform costs, paperwork, before and after the game, training, if they do any.

A seniors game is 4 to 5 hours if you include travel

View attachment 1408080
Seems bloody good to me for a kid who could easily do 2 or 3 games in a day.

Yet no answer on how to get more umpires. Well kids umpiring anyway. Glad your league is fine. Helps in the previous 2 years with no or little crowds because of covid. Other leagues aren’t though. Obviously the league ratts league obviously wasn’t. Mine wasn’t. The afl had to do something. The dissent rule is good. The interruption not so good. We need kids back umpiring to let juniors play and then to eventually have depth in afl footy. It’s a start.

Kids aren't going to rush to umpire just because players get 50 meters randomly for * all. Anyone that says that it will is taking some kind of experimental medication. I would say it creates disdain towards umpires that will have the opposite effect. People will be turned off umpiring because of it.

This is like burning your house down to stop the cockroaches. You can say that it worked but no-one else is seeing it as a positive.

Kids aren't going to rush to umpire just because players get 50 meters randomly for duck all. Anyone that says that it will is taking some kind of experimental medication. I would say it creates disdain towards umpires that will have the opposite effect. People will be turned off umpiring because of it.

This is like burning your house down to stop the cockroaches. You can say that it worked but no-one else is seeing it as a positive.
You still don’t get it. It’s nothing to do with afl games it’s about stopping abuse at junior and local level. I’m not hoe many times I can say that yet you keep bring up the afl games. As I said even the abuse of umpires at afl level is so much less than it was when played at local grounds not that is really relevant. What is relevant is there is less abuse at local and junior level and hopefully that will mean more kids umpire and less quit. I’m guessing you aren’t seeing the positive because you don’t go to junior footy. Our coach has seen the positive.

You still don’t get it. It’s nothing to do with afl games it’s about stopping abuse at junior and local level. I’m not hoe many times I can say that yet you keep bring up the afl games. As I said even the abuse of umpires at afl level is so much less than it was when played at local grounds not that is really relevant. What is relevant is there is less abuse at local and junior level and hopefully that will mean more kids umpire and less quit. I’m guessing you aren’t seeing the positive because you don’t go to junior footy. Our coach has seen the positive.

Do you believe that what they are doing at AFL level will contribute to less abuse at local and junior footy?
I'm not convinced that "fake respect" will cut it.

Well it certainly has where ratts and I watch junior footy and even senior local footy at the two comps I’ve seen this year.

Is that due to the umpire dissent rules, or due to the publicity and "outing" of disgusting behaviour?

Is that due to the umpire dissent rules, or due to the publicity and "outing" of disgusting behaviour?
Probably both but no idea. Whatever the reason hopefully it will stop kids quitting umpiring and get more new ones. I still laugh that people whinge about afl umpiring but either come up with no solutions or criticise the dissent rule which isn’t new but just a bigger crack down.

I'd say it's rare in junior footy to have any serious issues and I'd say that it needs to be looked at there not in the AFL. Swearing or being aggressive is already an offence that has cost 50 MPs. Why make it stupidly punitive?

To me it's like fining people for walking on the wrong side of footpath because foot traffic in New York is congested. What is this positive? Do the junior umpires pay the dissent arms too?

If it's not that I doubt it has had anything to do with how the crowds behave at juniors or local level. If anything it would be more likely to get some unhinged type to abuse them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it certainly has where ratts and I watch junior footy and even senior local footy at the two comps I’ve seen this year.

Perhaps it's because no one turns up?

So we should put up with AFL games being ruined due to nonsensical 50 metre penalties being inconsistently dished out for minor dissent like players holding their arms out on the off chance that it will result in less abuse of umpires at local and junior level.

I'm all for punishing dissent if it's obvious abuse of the umpires but this new dissent rule which punishes minor actions inconsistently is a joke.

I'd say it's rare in junior footy to have any serious issues and I'd say that it needs to be looked at there not in the AFL. Swearing or being aggressive is already an offence that has cost 50 MPs. Why make it stupidly punitive?

To me it's like fining people for walking on the wrong side of footpath because foot traffic in New York is congested. What is this positive? Do the junior umpires pay the dissent arms too?

If it's not that I doubt it has had anything to do with how the crowds behave at juniors or local level. If anything it would be more likely to get some unhinged type to abuse them.
You can keep saying the last paragraph but hilariously you h say be no proof of that. You haven’t attended junior footy for a few years yet you don’t believe our coach or me. Keep repeating. It will get likes. Pity it’s made up with zero proof. Your answer is zero apart repeating something with zero proof

So we should put up with AFL games being ruined due to nonsensical 50 metre penalties being inconsistently dished out for minor dissent like players holding their arms out on the off chance that it will result in less abuse of umpires at local and junior level.

I'm all for punishing dissent if it's obvious abuse of the umpires but this new dissent rule which punishes minor actions inconsistently is a joke.
No we shouldn’t. Never said that. Said the dissent rule is great. The interruption isn’t.

You can keep saying the last paragraph but hilariously you h say be no proof of that. You haven’t attended junior footy for a few years yet you don’t believe our coach or me. Keep repeating. It will get likes. Pity it’s made up with zero proof. Your answer is zero apart repeating something with zero proof

Prove that people being excessively punished in the AFL has had a trickle down to juniors then. It doesn't even pass basic logic. You have zero proof either but like some god nut you just have faith that it must be the thing that stopped it.

I'd say it's had zero effect yet and if anything will make the situation worse as umpires get more derision. In an attempt to make people be respectful towards them, now they have the whole footy world pissed off with them instead. It looks like one of the dumbest rule interpretations yet.

No we shouldn’t. Never said that. Said the dissent rule is great. The interruption isn’t.

So like the rule that was always there you mean. An umpire on SEN said that the players and umpires have never been so respectful towards each other before this and that it was unnecessary. This is like something a politician comes up absolutely zero substance to it and makes others have to take the heat from their dumb assness.

Prove that people being excessively punished in the AFL has had a trickle down to juniors then. It doesn't even pass basic logic. You have zero proof either but like some god nut you just have faith that it must be the thing that stopped it.

I'd say it's had zero effect yet and if anything will make the situation worse as umpires get more derision. In an attempt to make people be respectful towards them, now they have the whole footy world pissed off with them instead. It looks like one of the dumbest rule interpretations yet.
So all of sudden adult abuse to kids umpiring this year is less but I can’t use the dissent rule as the reason. Wowee. But then you can say it could have the opposite effect without even attending the games. Wowee again. What a load of rubbish. You can have an opinion without seeing games but I can’t seeing games. Yep good logic gringo. Just out of interest why do you think the afl suddenly did this rule?

So like the rule that was always there you mean. An umpire on SEN said that the players and umpires have never been so respectful towards each other before this and that it was unnecessary. This is like something a politician comes up absolutely zero substance to it and makes others have to take the heat from their dumb assness.
Yes the rule has always been there. Should I lie and say it hasn’t. Thrr we e were zero new rules this year. Again gringo for the 300th time they changed the interruption hoping it will stop abuse in junior and local footy so more kids hopefully umpire. Maybe we should do what you do and whinge about afl umpires and somehow that gets more umpires umpiring. It makes sense.

So all of sudden adult abuse to kids umpiring this year is less but I can’t use the dissent rule as the reason. Wowee. But then you can say it could have the opposite effect without even attending the games. Wowee again. What a load of rubbish. You can have an opinion without seeing games but I can’t seeing games. Yep good logic gringo. Just out of interest why do you think the afl suddenly did this rule?
can't you have differing opinions? You based on whet you see and Gringo based on what he thinks.
I agree with Gringo. The Stand rule and the new dissent interpretation will make people dislike Umps even more.
better to up the junior umps pay and lower the tolerance for dissent in the junior ranks and leave afl footy with the old interpretation.

Yes the rule has always been there. Should I lie and say it hasn’t. Thrr we e were zero new rules this year. Again gringo for the 300th time they changed the interruption hoping it will stop abuse in junior and local footy so more kids hopefully umpire. Maybe we should do what you do and whinge about afl umpires and somehow that gets more umpires umpiring. It makes sense.

Go and put a field Marshall in place for junior footy matches then. Don't piss off people so they help umpires at a different level. It will have the opposite effect to what they are claiming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back