Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

And here again, nonsensical smartass comment.

Being physically elite means jack s**t if you can't play football, which is part of the reason he's playing on the wing to improve parts he's not great at. Which hopefully fast tracks development.
To be fair - you’re posting as if you are objectively correct and no alternate opinion could possible be considered.

Hence the smart arse comments coming your way.

Nash is currently being selected ahead of Finn. That speaks volumes, but you keep on being you. 👍

To be fair - you’re posting as if you are objectively correct and no alternate opinion could possible be considered.

Hence the smart arse comments coming your way.

Nash is currently being selected ahead of Finn. That speaks volumes, but you keep on being you. 👍
It's true and that's why, if you said it last year maybe but after his pre season work with the speed project his physical nature is at a next level.

Speaks volumes? Finn had lost a couple years of his development and is developing his weaknesses and will no doubt try to turn them into strengths. It'll benefit him in the long run, Finn is playing as a wing and Nash is playing as a mid they aren't even competing for the same spot atm, don't get your point champ.

It's true and that's why, if you said it last year maybe but after his pre season work with the speed project his physical nature is at a next level.

Speaks volumes? Finn had lost a couple years of his development and is developing his weaknesses and will no doubt try to turn them into strengths. It'll benefit him in the long run, Finn is playing as a wing and Nash is playing as a mid they aren't even competing for the same spot atm, don't get your point champ.
Oh no!

You champed me. 🥴

I've heard about Finn's 'burst' improvement...but only on the internet, that Instagram thing about his sprint training over summer

He has demonstrated elite endurance, and decent pace, but, so far at least, I haven't seen a single instance of him bursting away from a pack a la Judd in his prime.

Not at Box Hill, not in the ones...

Last edited:
Dom as a 13 year old Football fan, elite at continual disrespectful comments towards other posters opinions and unconditionally being ‘right’ about everything.. Needs to work on expecting people to reply with smart arse satire, decision making and not being taken seriously because 36+ Hawthorn players aren’t sharing this years Brownlow in a record breaking tie for first place.

Do what you will but I think perhaps you could reign it in a touch sometimes my friend.

Dom as a 13 year old Football fan, elite at continual disrespectful comments towards other posters opinions and unconditionally being ‘right’ about everything.. Needs to work on expecting people to reply with smart arse satire, decision making and not being taken seriously because 36+ Hawthorn players aren’t sharing this years Brownlow in a record breaking tie for first place.

Do what you will but I think perhaps you could reign it in a touch sometimes my friend.
It's not my fault that you lads think/are taking that because someone is an elite athlete but has alot to fix on the football side think it means "Brownlow".

He is athletic, but there's alot he needs to fix, it's why he's playing around (defense last year, originally a midfielder, now a winger).

But yeah "brownlow" :drunk:

It's pretty simple and i'll summarise it.

Finn is an elite athlete, physically there's not alot he needs to work on if any.

But football wise, there's plenty, decision-making with and without the ball, kicking, running patterns, natural progression on how he sees the game and how quickly he can read the game, continually improving by taking in the little things aka feedback from the coaching staff.

He has some good strengths with his physical prowess but that alone won't make you a good player.

Replying to this with "smartass" comments about the "brownlow" is next level.. :drunk:

But nonetheless, hopefully that helps you.

It's pretty simple and i'll summarise it.

Finn is an elite athlete, physically there's not alot he needs to work on if any.

But football wise, there's plenty, decision-making with and without the ball, kicking, running patterns, natural progression on how he sees the game and how quickly he can read the game, continually improving by taking in the little things aka feedback from the coaching staff.

He has some good strengths with his physical prowess but that alone won't make you a good player.

Replying to this with "smartass" comments about the "brownlow" is next level.. :drunk:

But nonetheless, hopefully that helps you.
Finn is an elite aerobic athlete. Over distance he will outrun pretty much anyone.

That doesn’t make him an elite athlete at AFL level though. What he does have is an afl standard body and his struggles are mostly to do with football ability.

He’d be average to above average in strength, acceleration, lateral movement. Which are much more important inside mid traits. A lot of traits look really good on paper, but it’s on the field that matters.

Finn is an elite aerobic athlete. Over distance he will outrun pretty much anyone.

That doesn’t make him an elite athlete at AFL level though. What he does have is an afl standard body and his struggles are mostly to do with football ability.

He’d be average to above average in strength, acceleration, lateral movement. Which are much more important inside mid traits. A lot of traits look really good on paper, but it’s on the field that matters.
When looking at a pure physical and athletic sense, he's got most of the needed attributes.

He and McGrath were two of the quickest in the speedproject and McGrath is also an elite athlete.

He adds onto the speed (both short explosive and over 20 metres +) with his elite endurance base.

Most of his issues at AFL level are to do with football ability and learning aswell as how to does he use his athletic prowess more.

When looking at a pure physical and athletic sense, he's got most of the needed attributes.

He and McGrath were two of the quickest in the speedproject and McGrath is also an elite athlete.

He adds onto the speed (both short explosive and over 20 metres +) with his elite endurance base.

Most of his issues at AFL level are to do with football ability and learning aswell as how to does he use his athletic prowess more.
He’s got the needed attributes to make it as an AFL player yes. Doesn’t mean he’s automatically an elite athlete.

Same as McGrath, definitely not an elite athlete. Though decent acceleration. Something Finn hasn’t really showed, Finn is good when he gets motoring but in those first three steps there’s a lot of players ahead of him.

Everyone here agrees his problems are more with footballing ability, it’s just Finn’s athletic traits aren’t nearly as good as you are making them out to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s got the needed attributes to make it as an AFL player yes. Doesn’t mean he’s automatically an elite athlete.

Same as McGrath, definitely not an elite athlete. Though decent acceleration. Something Finn hasn’t really showed, Finn is good when he gets motoring but in those first three steps there’s a lot of players ahead of him.

Everyone here agrees his problems are more with footballing ability, it’s just Finn’s athletic traits aren’t nearly as good as you are making them out to be.
Sorry mate but you're not getting it.

Athlete, or athletic prowess, physical attributes.

Whatever you call them, Finn is elite at them, so is McGrath.

You say "decent acceleration for McGrath" but bloke has genuine jets.

This is nothing to say they're going to be good players, elite players or are good because of their physical attributes.

Same with CJ, bloke is a freak of nature athletically but his footballing ability is a huge reason to why he's so good, reading of the play and how quickly he does, his physical attributes just help that.

Righto - so basically he’s the best inside and outside athlete in the competition and if he could fix up his kicking he’d be an AA mid. 😉

I think he’s a great endurance runner and has good speed after his first 3-4 steps to wind up. He’s got average spatial awareness inside which is why he’s getting caught a bit and fumbling in the contest at VFL level.

You’re seeing a different calibre of player to most of us at the moment. (including the coaching staff it would seem), but that’s okay. We can agree to disagree. 👍
You might want to actually watch him. There is footage of him exploding away from everyone else in an intra at the start of the season that showed ridiculous acceleration. Yes, amazingly in the first 3 steps. Yes he has a lot to work on but empirically explosive pace isn't one of them.

I may be slaughtered here, but nothing about Finn other than his physique & stamina indicates he will be any better than Howe. Howe is only 26 and is a far better option than Finn ATM.
Now, Finn may develop to be better eventually, but should not be replacing Howe on current form unless either Howe starts playing badly (he is doing his role now), Finn starts dominating at BH to demand a spot OR (most likely), Howe will be out next year and Sam wants to get more games into Finn.

If wins were our objective this year, Howe definitely plays before Finn. Not sure wins are front of mind for Sam though.

You might want to actually watch him. There is footage of him exploding away from everyone else in an intra at the start of the season that showed ridiculous acceleration. Yes, amazingly in the first 3 steps. Yes he has a lot to work on but empirically explosive pace isn't one of them.
Please show footage.

Mcguiness just isn't that good.

I hope I'm wrong, I prey to have egg on my face, but I haven't seen it yet and I don't think I will.

Some players are athletic beasts bit it still doesn't work. Really reminds me of O Rourke.

You thinking a triathlete role for him on the field? 🤪
I thought that too.

FWIW- I remember doing a Summer series short course triathlon at St Kilda in around 2004-2006 that several Hawks players competed in.

Timmy Clarke torched everyone, but I beat Sam Mitchell home. 🏃‍♂️ 🏅

NB - I played local Premier VAFA footy only (never VFL, too slow).
As footballers, clearly Sam Mitchell >> Tim Clarke >>> me.

It's not my fault that you lads think/are taking that because someone is an elite athlete but has alot to fix on the football side think it means "Brownlow".

He is athletic, but there's alot he needs to fix, it's why he's playing around (defense last year, originally a midfielder, now a winger).

But yeah "brownlow" :drunk:
The ‘Brownlow’ wasn’t really the focal point of my post. :(

Mcguiness just isn't that good.

I hope I'm wrong, I prey to have egg on my face, but I haven't seen it yet and I don't think I will.

Some players are athletic beasts bit it still doesn't work. Really reminds me of O Rourke.
I find this call silly, we all know his issues but I can’t think of another player that has had the limitation he has from skills perspective that has made the inroads he has.

His contracted and improving week to week, give him another two years before you right him off. FYI orourke couldn’t stay on the park and by that outcome actually couldn’t play when he did, so that’s a strange comparison.

Reckon he will be at the club for a long time, just not sure if it will be in the 1s, but it’s upto him to work on his skills over pre season

One of our greatest ever mids was probably one of the slowest on our list at the time.
But when he played, he had more time than almost anyone.
His decision making, awareness and view of the field made him a great.

Please don't get into semantics about Finn's physical attributes.
He has all he needs to be a very good footballer.

The club his still teaching him the game.
Decision making.
Disposal.
Awareness.
Game play.

His ability to execute those skills will decide his career from here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back