Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think playing games of footy is a concern right now.
Just gotta get him right, ease the pressure that he has to come in and perform and prioritize his health.
Will check in though on how he’s tracking.

Boomer’s belief in young Roo

Newly-minted Australian Football Hall of Fame member Brent Harvey has launched a spirited defence of young Kangaroos midfielder Will Phillips, insisting the club’s 2020 No.3 draft pick will end up having a successful AFL career.

Harvey, who passed on his famous No.29 to Phillips, cautioned against making early draft assessments and firmly backed North Melbourne’s list-management strategy and future direction.

Phillips played 16 games in his first AFL season last year, but has yet to play a senior game this year after being sidelined by glandular fever and illness.

The Kangaroos came under fire recently after young Sydney key forward Logan McDonald – chosen with pick four immediately after Phillips – kicked three goals to help sink Melbourne in Round 12.

But Harvey has faith that Phillips, who turned 20 last month, is a work in progress and has a good future ahead of him.

“He (Phillips) is a ripper; he is going to be a good player,” Harvey said of the young midfielder.

“I know people make comparisons with certain players who got taken after him in the draft, but give Will a couple of years, and you will see him at his best.

New Hall of Famer Brent Harvey has defended Phillips. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

“He hasn’t had the smoothest ride in his first few years. He’s had some injuries and illness.

“He will turn it around and in a couple of years everyone will say ‘that’s why you took him’.

“Everyone thinks success is a straight line uphill, but it is not. There are some hiccups that can get in your way. These are the things that make you stronger.”

Harvey has worked closely with Phillips and the other Kangaroos youngsters in his development role at the club.

“I have amazing faith (in this club),” he said.

“We have got some really good people at our football club.”

“The boys know where we are, the people at the footy club know where we are and we are too big and too proud not to turn this thing around.

“I see how hard the boys work. It does turn around, as we have seen before with Richmond and Melbourne. We have just got to hang in there and we have got to stick together, which is what this club has always done.”

That's nice of him, but I recall him saying similar stuff about Nathan Hrovat.

That's nice of him, but I recall him saying similar stuff about Nathan Hrovat.
In his defence he mentored Nathan when he was growing up, and as a junior footballer the kid was an absolute jet. I still held hope he'd show that right up until he was delisted. In the junior system we felt he was basically Boomer but with a more penetrating kick. For real, that was the vibe.

Guess he had deficiencies that we couldn't notice til he got pitted against the best of the best.

Not much to report. Main thing is getting his health back in order. Won’t be the first or last kid to cop glandular fever and trying to train as an AFL footballer doesn’t exactly help with recovery.

Highly unlikely we will see him at AFL level this year. Unless something drastic happens club will put a line through his name and try and get him cherry ripe for preseason.

Can I stress 17 other clubs would kill to have this kid on their list. If we didn’t take him the Hawks were all over him. And we know if the Hawks are hot on a player, it usually means a footballer is there. He will be fine.

Really disappointing for will.

If he was fit this year , he’d of got a lot of cba with the injuries we’ve had.
Would of fast tracked him big time
Reckon it’s a blessing for Will, better to remain silent (ie: not play) and thought a cat, than to speak out (ie play) and remove all doubt.

I just really hope Will can knock the effects of his illness over the of season and hit the pre-season at 100%.
He's basically a brand new recruit that we know has skills, but also a point to prove. I cannot wait to see him play!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He reminds me of Parish, should be a gun. Was the right choice at the time for the long run, although north need some key position depth.
North have taken 8 picks in the national Draft since we took WiPhi so while what you say is true I am not sure it’s on Will that the problem hasn’t been addressed.

Reckon it’s a blessing for Will, better to remain silent (ie: not play) and thought a cat, than to speak out (ie play) and remove all doubt.
He's not a cat.

In his first game he ran flat out for 30m to hit a contest and speed, dived to the bottom of the pack and won the ball.

Not much to report. Main thing is getting his health back in order. Won’t be the first or last kid to cop glandular fever and trying to train as an AFL footballer doesn’t exactly help with recovery.

Highly unlikely we will see him at AFL level this year. Unless something drastic happens club will put a line through his name and try and get him cherry ripe for preseason.

Can I stress 17 other clubs would kill to have this kid on their list. If we didn’t take him the Hawks were all over him. And we know if the Hawks are hot on a player, it usually means a footballer is there. He will be fine.
It's not just his footballing ability, he was brought in for his leadership potential as well. I was a massive fan of Hollands in Will's draft year and was very unhappy we passed on him. However, the more I read into Will and the more I got to see him play, the more comfortable I was with the call. North have lacked on-field leadership in the same volumes as other clubs ever since we lost Swallow, Harvey, Dal Santo, Waite, etc. in that short window. Will is part of rebuilding that again on every line - if we keep LDU, JHF, Jy, McKay together, Will complements that mix and will elevate us to the next level.

Not sure if there is any truth to it, but there are some reports that Will isn't very settled or happy at the club. Very much hope this is incorrect, as we really do need him to make it and to stay at North for the long term.

This is a pretty s**t take.
He's not a cat.

In his first game he ran flat out for 30m to hit a contest and speed, dived to the bottom of the pack and won the ball.
Standard post for Old Mate.

Far be it from me to defend a poster who may or may not be prone to constant negativity, but absent any evidence that old mate actually thinks Will Phillips is soft (which would be idiotic) then taking his words on face value, there is some merit. Will is definitely better off resting if he is feeling constant fatigue and can't get through a training session. Aside from the accepted fact that you risk exacerbating CFS if you try to push through it, if he was playing games in this condition, his output would inevitably appear underwhelming and lacking intensity, so best all-round not to expose him to that criticism either.

Not sure if there is any truth to it, but there are some reports that Will isn't very settled or happy at the club. Very much hope this is incorrect, as we really do need him to make it and to stay at North for the long term.
so, it would make total sense that a kid living out his dream of being an AFL footballer is unsettled or unhappy because an illness is wiping out his entire second year.

in fact it'd be pretty f*cken weird if that didn't make the kid unhappy.

which is likely the actual source of this rumour, that gets whispered arond enough (either intentionally or not) to the conclusion that this is on the club and not the current circumstances he faces.

It’s BS. Is he frustrated with the form of the side and his own health issues? Yes.
Does he want out? No chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back