So why aren't you going to the footy ?

Remove this Banner Ad

The umpiring these days (and some of the new rules) are dog s**t. The cost to go to a game is ridiculous when food and drink is rolled into the ticket price.

I think a lot of the blame sits with two people, Gil and Brad Scott.

Gil has had a very Winston Churchill type of reign, he was excellent during a crisis and the comp weathered a lot of COVID about as good as it could. But in peacetime he's shithouse and severely out of touch with the average AFL punter. Think this is reflected perfectly in the ramping up of how much consideration is given to corporates over actual fans. Whether it be ticketing or just a deafening silence to do anything about the creep of predatory gambling advertising into the game.

Brad Scott is way different, a bloke infamous for cracking the shits in the coaches box at umpiring decisions who has managed to make the officiating even worse due to his push for black and white interpretation of rules that previously had some acceptable and sensical breathing room of application.

Get rid of the both of them and the game is back on track imo.

One of the reason why I still go to games is because I can't watch us on TV. I literally can't watch after, say, quarter time or halfway through the second. I don't know why. I have no control over the outcome where I am there or not, but when I am there I am much calmer.
This is an interesting one. I get a bit the same. Stressed and frustrated over player stuff ups and bad umpiring calls?

I was so pissed off after the Swans game. And it continued through to Saturday.

Pre 2015 I just expected us to be s**t and get beaten. Was easier that way, lol.

This is an interesting one. I get a bit the same. Stressed and frustrated over player stuff ups and bad umpiring calls?

I was so pissed off after the Swans game. And it continued through to Saturday.

Pre 2015 I just expected us to be s**t and get beaten. Was easier that way, lol.
I didn't watch after quarter time.
I just can't.
But I will have the live scores on my phones that updates the scores in real time.
I was convinced I was the only one.
I woke up four times during the night and my mind kept going to the result.
Some losses hurt, and others really hurt.

Sport news from the last few days .

Socceroo’s make it into the world cup .

AFL Number 1 draft pick Jason Horne Francis abuses teammates , belts someone and wants out .

Video released of AFL pin up boy Bailey Smith doing cocaine.

most of the above.

100% there is a tipping point for everyone where it just gets too much to contend with.

i have chronic pain which if i don't manage every moment will result in acute flare-ups meaning in bed for 3 to 14 days.

i'm on the dsp paying 1650 rent per month and single parent of a now 19 year old living at home.

i pay membership [home games ga] but keep getting emails to pay an extra 20 bucks to "upgrade my seat".

but, the biggest thing for me is, i will push through all that, i will get some meds to get through without being in physical red zone by half time, i will eat baked beans a few meals a week, i will put on a singlet and a flanno under the jumper and not turn on the heater etc etc etc

i will push through all that s**t for the GREAT GAME OF AUSSIE RULES.

i cannot be ****ed all that often to push through and attend games of FREEKICKBALL.

the AFL have taken our game, and ****ed it up the arse.

everyone i know that loves aussie rules is in a state of despair at the state of the game. EVERYONE!

how far up their own arses are they to be wondering why crowds are down? it's ******* obvious you complacent smug corporate campaigners!

I went on Thursday and I have to admit I actually like going to games when there is a smaller crowd.
I'm not a huge fan of crowds and get a bit nervoud when trying to get into Richmond station with that bottleneck etc.
I won't be going this week because I have COVID and won't get out of iso until Friday, but I wouldn't have gone anyway.
One of the reason why I still go to games is because I can't watch us on TV. I literally can't watch after, say, quarter time or halfway through the second. I don't know why. I have no control over the outcome where I am there or not, but when I am there I am much calmer.
I don't subscribe to the weather being a factor, unless it's raining all day or night. 12 degrees is not overly cold if you wear a decent jacket.

Reasons why I don't give much of a toss anymore are:

Distance. four-hour round trip for me. if I want to have a beer or two, it's even longer.
Scheduling: If the club hasn't arked up over being being scheduled two Thursday night HOME games in a row, then I'd be disappointed.
The product: It's not as good. Whistle every two seconds. Stand, stand.
Prices: $12 for a schooner on LEVEL 2 inside. That's not a pint either. A schooner! Let's just say I leave the car at home and have a few beers. Nothing radical, but not wanting the risk of drink driving. Costs me $22 in public transport, 6 schooners of Balter or Mountain Goat in the 3121 room $72, Uber home from the train station $35. That's $130 without even having anything to eat.
Floating fixture: That can get right in the bin.
Umpiring: Not their fault. Bitch of a sport to umpire. The constant rule changing and tinkering - I've had enough. It's almost at the stage where the umpiring has too much of an influence on the result.
Game day experience: Music and lights flashing. No thanks. Doesn't keep me away, just annoying.
Night games: Absolute bitch of a thing for me to go to, and more importantly, get home from.
And the big one that a lot of people are missing - success.
We've seen it. We've lived it. Three flags and a prelim in four years leaves you feeling pretty content with things.
For four years it was a pleasure to go to the footy. That manic game style, knowing we would beat anyone if we brought out best. it's a great feeling.
Now we are not as good and it's a bit difficult to adjust to I must admit.
Well summarized and pretty hard to argue

I haven’t really had the opportunity this year to go to many games, only been to 1 so far. I like going to the games live, I get angry and frustrated watching from home, but at the game, I kind of have to behave myself. :D

However I reckon the crowds are down because of Covid, prices, the weather and over-officiating.

The umpiring these days (and some of the new rules) are dog s**t. The cost to go to a game is ridiculous when food and drink is rolled into the ticket price.

I think a lot of the blame sits with two people, Gil and Brad Scott.

Gil has had a very Winston Churchill type of reign, he was excellent during a crisis and the comp weathered a lot of COVID about as good as it could. But in peacetime he's shithouse and severely out of touch with the average AFL punter. Think this is reflected perfectly in the ramping up of how much consideration is given to corporates over actual fans. Whether it be ticketing or just a deafening silence to do anything about the creep of predatory gambling advertising into the game.

Brad Scott is way different, a bloke infamous for cracking the shits in the coaches box at umpiring decisions who has managed to make the officiating even worse due to his push for black and white interpretation of rules that previously had some acceptable and sensical breathing room of application.

Get rid of the both of them and the game is back on track imo.
That *ing brad scott ain’t got the balls to get in the media and explain himself ,, whether the afl realise he has bad PR painted all over him I dunno but he’s had like 1 media conference since he got the gig

What’s wrong with everyone lol. The game is impossible to watch you say. Feels pretty similar to 20 years ago with the occasional stupid free or 50m penalty. All crappy new rules fade off after a while anyway. There were 76k yesterday. I don’t see collingwood supporters dropping off. You all need to get off your fat bitchy asses and get to the game Thursday. Just show your face :cool:. You must go

I usually go to multiple games a round.
I never thought I could see myself giving that up but with the ridiculous rule changes and the arrogance of the AFL to never acknowledge when they have made mistakes... I can absolutely see me giving it away

Its a shocking cycle They introduce ridiculous rules without trialing them, the rules are massive fails, they come out and say they are a success

I genuinely believe they need to come out and apologise for treating the public like idiots
then went and immediately

removed the stand rule
changed the dissent rule back to what it was (no swearing or abuse)
changed the "insufficient attempt to keep the ball in play" back to deliberate out of bounds
changed the nominating ruckman hands in the air nonsense
removed the contact below the knees rule
changed the sliding rule to if you slide in feet first

they'd be well on their way to fixing things

For a few years now I have a policy of watching the game with the sound muted. It gives you so much less stress and you don't miss anything by not hearing those bozos call the play. The only thing you might occasionally miss is details of an injury. It's a trade off i'm happy to make.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s wrong with everyone lol. The game is impossible to watch you say. Feels pretty similar to 20 years ago with the occasional stupid free or 50m penalty. All crappy new rules fade off after a while anyway. There were 76k yesterday. I don’t see collingwood supporters dropping off. You all need to get off your fat bitchy asses and get to the game Thursday. Just show your face :cool:. You must go
if pies had our umpiring they wouldnt go at all

they get throated every week

if pies had our umpiring they wouldnt go at all

they get throated every week

How many times to Oppo teams get away with leaving the ball on the ground in front of them with no penalty. Shai does it, 50m against. STAND

I saw poor Pickett line up a hip and shoulder and have to pull out in fear of a penalty. You can't even tackle hard anymore. STAND

The game is crazy. We have people screaming in the stands for 50m if someone takes 1 step. STAND

STAND

How many times to Oppo teams get away with leaving the ball on the ground in front of them with no penalty. Shai does it, 50m against. STAND

I saw poor Pickett line up a hip and shoulder and have to pull out in fear of a penalty. You can't even tackle hard anymore. STAND

The game is crazy. We have people screaming in the stands for 50m if someone takes 1 step. STAND

STAND
The rule was very relaxed for Collingwood.
From the start of the game,Pies players were very relaxed in the standing position even moving a little bit unlike our Tiger players who are scared to move a millimetre in fear of a 50.

funnily enough the other night i realised its kinda satisfying to be able to yell at the umps so they can actually hear me instead of at the tv, where my gf always says "you know they can't hear you, right madman?"

but geez everyone turns around and looks at ya now if you drop a c bomb i fear for the future!

For a few years now I have a policy of watching the game with the sound muted. It gives you so much less stress and you don't miss anything by not hearing those bozos call the play. The only thing you might occasionally miss is details of an injury. It's a trade off i'm happy to make.
I do the same for Richmond matches...😉

Coming from regional Vic it's been hard to get to games this year.

Thought I may be a chance to get down this Saturday albeit for a cats home game and this is the price to sit on level 4?

Fair dinkum, there'll be bays and bays of seating empty on Saturday but they'll ask us to fork out 55 clams to seat in the bleeds - trash. Screenshot_20220620-155247.jpg

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sport news from the last few days .

Socceroo’s make it into the world cup .

AFL Number 1 draft pick Jason Horne Francis abuses teammates , belts someone and wants out .

Video released of AFL pin up boy Bailey Smith doing cocaine.
And which one was sport ?

Blues game was the first game I've been to this year despite having reserved seats.

Night games are no good for me with two young kids.
I'm getting older and softer and cbf going if there's even a hint of rain
Don't usually go to away games
I stress alot more at the games rather than watching TV and to be honest I just enjoy it more watching on TV these days.
Digital ticketing has no influence on my attendance, nor does the umpiring or the state of the game. I still love the footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back