Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

The coaches just told young McDonald that we prefer an injured Sam Reid as a forward over him.
Sam Reid has only been a good forward after resting as our second ruckman.
I though he would still be able to ruck but should he go down McLean would be plan B.
Reid didn't contest one ruck contest. Why was he selected if this was going to be the case?
Ronke would have added more, much, much more.
This. It doesn’t make any sense.

We brought McLean in to replace Reid when it should have been Amartey.

And then we replaced McDonald with an injured Reid. It should have remained as McDonald or been McLean. A very confused decision.

To his credit, Longmire was pretty open about what a monumental * up it was in his presser and took accountability.

Bloods culture didn't die today it died in 2014.

Most of the squad today haven't been in the team long enough to understand it.

sure seemed like we had a decent culture most of the year

bloods culture or whatever it is , not just about the on field

not accepting yesterday crap , but culture is about what we do on and off the field , we have seen what some other clubs do and so far we avoid that stuff

also how we respond to yesterday will be more of an insight into culture

Having had a bit of time to reflect, I reckon we might be bad on GF day because we follow the accepted wisdom of treating it like any other game, when our opponents come out breathing fire.

The piece of play that sticks out for me was Henney’s shove on Touhy right near the start of the game at the right forward half flank. It was a standard play you see during H&A season, with the intention of making your opponent over run the ball and then taking an easy possession and running the other way - Henney does it well.

However, it wasn’t an ordinary game and Touhy had adrenaline rushing through his veins, he had the hyper awareness to be ready for the bump, maintain his balance and drive to the ball at the same time, taking clean possession and then passing to Hawkins for the first inside 50 mark - building confidence for him, Hawkins and the rest of the Cats.

When the Cats started hot, we then started to panic because we realised if things did not change we would lose the GF - but that is a terrible mindset to be in as sheath Grundy told a poster on here, you start trying to do too much and you make things worse.

Ironically, I think we need to embrace that we are in a GF so we have the adrenaline rushing at the start and can match the opposition early, so that we can then slowly start to forget it is a GF and just play our game (or as Horse says, focus on what works for us).

Then in the final quarter, when our players are exhausted from playing on adrenaline at the start, you hope they can dig deep knowing it is a GF and that they can leave everything on the field.

I reckon it is partly down to sports scientists and psychologist saying you need to run your own race. That is fine when your competitor is in another lane and you can pretend they are not there. Footy isn’t like that, your competitor is running at you so you have to match them in intensity, whether it’s good for your sustainability over the four quarters or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having had a bit of time to reflect, I reckon we might be bad on GF day because we follow the accepted wisdom of treating it like any other game, when our opponents come out breathing fire.

The piece of play that sticks out for me was Henney’s shove on Touhy right near the start of the game at the right forward half flank. It was a standard play you see during H&A season, with the intention of making your opponent over run the ball and then taking an easy possession and running the other way - Henney does it well.

However, it wasn’t an ordinary game and Touhy had adrenaline rushing through his veins, he had the hyper awareness to be ready for the bump, maintain his balance and drive to the ball at the same time, taking clean possession and then passing to Hawkins for the first inside 50 mark - building confidence for him, Hawkins and the rest of the Cats.

When the Cats started hot, we then started to panic because we realised if things did not change we would lose the GF - but that is a terrible mindset to be in as sheath Grundy told a poster on here, you start trying to do too much and you make things worse.

Ironically, I think we need to embrace that we are in a GF so we have the adrenaline rushing at the start and can match the opposition early, so that we can can then slowly start to forget it is a GF and just play our game (or as Horse says, focus on what works for us).

Then in the final quarter, when our players are exhausted from playing on adrenaline at the start, you hope they can dig deep knowing it is a GF and they can leave everything on the field.

I reckon it is partly down to sports scientists and psychologist saying you need to run your own race. That is fine when your competitor is in another lane and you can pretend they are not there. Footy isn’t like that, your competitor is running at you so you have to match them in intensity, whether it’s good for your sustainability over the four quarters or not.
I feel like it was the opposite. Geelong treated it like a normal game, stuck to their strengths and structure whilst we wilted in the nerves of the moment.

2014 all over again.

Absolutely demolished in every single aspect of the game.

Yes, Longmire can get us there, but why is it we go into our shells, kick it down the line and fail to bring our pressure from the outset? Go watch the highlights from 2014 and it was a carbon copy of yesterday's disaster.

In GF's you have to play tough, dynamic, kicking football. We showed absolutely none of that yesterday.

Not sure if it's due to our age or experience in grand finals, but if we dish this up in the next couple of years under Longmire, then he has to go.

Ironically, I think we need to embrace that we are in a GF so we have the adrenaline rushing at the start and can match the opposition early, so that we can then slowly start to forget it is a GF and just play our game (or as Horse says, focus on what works for us).

Then in the final quarter, when our players are exhausted from playing on adrenaline at the start, you hope they can dig deep knowing it is a GF and that they can leave everything on the field.

couldn't have said it better myself. you've got to be ready for war in a gf, or you'll get run over quickly.

I just want to say commiseration's... we have been on the end of days when thing just do not work. Does not reflect the true difference between the sides.. or the quality of your kids going forward.

Id also say the atmosphere at around the ground with so much red and white was fantastic.. and the way so many fans hand around post game gives great credit to your club and its supporters .

all the best for 2023.

Last edited:
Not that it effected the game but I thought that HTB against Parker in the first minutes when he dived on it was disgraceful. It had bounced out of the stoppage 2 seconds before the umpire pinged him.
****ing example of how hit and miss that rule is especially when Stevic is umpiring. Was laughable as the ball was actually behind Parker when he was on the ground. He ****ing couldn’t have even seen the ball let alone being over it. The Rowbottom one equally as disgraceful when you could clearly see he kicked it as tackled. Just rubs salt into the wound. Self administered wounds though I might add.

I think 2014 was a lot worse. That's the one where we should have won or at the very least been more competitive. 2016 certain things were beyond our control. Yesterday I just think the team wasn't ready as in we made the GF with a young team probably a bit before their time.

I was hoping someone could help me with this photo of my mates son from the city end bar area about an hour before the game:

sRpnd7.jpg

a) does anybody know who the guy/player on the far right is?

b) any chance somebody can identify the photobomber?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Hugo Hall Kahn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back