NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Last edited:
Alastair Clarkson is “not in a great place”, amid “disheartening” allegations of racism and controlling behaviour aimed at him, according to Richmond coach Damien Hardwick.

In the comments, reported by the West Australian, Hardwick added: “To have that accusation and alleged incidents thrown at you and then splashed across the media when you don’t have an opportunity to defend yourself is incredibly disheartening and probably a little bit distasteful.

“What we do have to do is work our way through it, come to the other side and hopefully, for the benefit of everyone, we grow and we learn together.

“What I think sport does is we put all the diversity and gender and all that aside and play the game for the love of it. And that’s what we’ve got to remember and we’ve got to get back to that and figure out how we get the best result for everyone moving forward because that’s what sport generally does and, hopefully, will continue to do.”
"We grow and learn together"

Nah when there's a cancerous growth you cut it out.

The issue should have been reported.

Jackson was right to report it.

He did a very bad job of it, on multiple levels, that go faaaaaaar beyond how long he gave some of those named to respond.

The framing and construction of his reporting means the whole thing is now an angry and adversarial shitshow.

He's created a situation where those who came to him with gheir stories are very likely going to get screwed over again.

He went after a big scalp in Clarkson rather than ghe truth of the story.
I am a North supporter but I am putting you on ignore after a few hundred posts criticisng Jackson. It is tiresome and is not adding anything to the discussion

Unless I've missed something it's gone very quiet from AFL house.
Perhaps they think if they ignore it and don't give it any column inches will go away
I think they are having trouble finding people who fit the bill and will agree to the AFL terms of reference for the hearings.
Gil must be getting a bit nervous

No one goes to the media without knowing what can happen…no one, it was by design to flush the issue into the open.

The media strategy employed by the leakers was designed to inflict maximum damage on the accused without the accused being allowed to put forth their version of events.

They are enjoying the anonymity that they denied to the accused.

Their conduct must be taken into account when examining this situation.

I'd be saying the same thing regardless if it was Clarko, Crawford, Carey, Voss, Buckley, Hird, Dangerfield, Selwood.
Well sure. You say any amount of random, ill-informed, contrarian inflammatory s**t on every topic you contribute to on BigFooty because you enjoy the attention.

I have heard nothing of late from AFL house have you?
They wouldn't be trying to ignore it would they in the hope it goes away?
I am surprised they havent put together their 4 person panel yet. I wonder what the hold up is ?

Yet Shaun Burgoyne played out his career than Chad Wingard and Jarman Impey came over all this was alleged to have happened.
Which would be telling if you believe that all aboriginal people share some kind of magical ESP that alerts them instantly to the situation of all other aboriginals.

Is this what you believe?

I have heard nothing of late from AFL house have you?
They wouldn't be trying to ignore it would they in the hope it goes away?

They’re a bit stuck.

They like to do these “hearings” / “investigations” themselves.

In this case they’ve (somehow) realised they can’t.

So they want to employ an “independent” body.

It seems like they can’t find anyone. Which isn’t surprising, its a hard job and you’d also have the AFL constantly undermining it to push it toward their favoured outcome. People know how dodgy they are.

The real question is why did Hawthorn make it so leakable, not even making sure it is legally privileged.
Legal privilege applies where a lawyer is consulting with, or giving advice to, a client.

How exactly was a report by Egan a document that could be classified as legal privilege?

The club that DID NOT make it public.
Just as I said.
The club commissioned a report BY an indigenous consultant Phil Egan. The report is an INTERNAL report collecting experiences from indigenous players over a 6 year period. Some of the content collected was of such a serious nature, the HFC referred to AFL Integrity, of which the AFL are now in the process of establishing an investigative panel.

Now your assertion is that if limited content (noting the whole internal report has not been released) were not released by the ABC then the public would be none the wiser and by extension these allegations would not be followed through.

Now, can you imagine Phil Egan NOT wanting for his indigenous community a thorough investigation of the allegations, be it from HFC, AFL or more than likely State/Federal Govt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you reckon you know more than them?

Interesting.
For someone who tends to frequently draw some very long bows on this board about the ongoings at other clubs, you sure have been vocal about trying to shut this one down. Wonder why that might be?

Nah but they probably go to the source and ask questions
like both the HFC report and Jackson did 😯😯😯
The HFC report has not been released in its entirety and whilst compiling it, did not seek input from the accused. The ABC’s Jackson cherry picked content from this report and went to the accused with a redacted version seeking a response.

Now, I’m not sure you actually live in Australia, but trial by media in this country doesn’t usually canvass the facts prior to a public hanging ……..

The HFC report has not been released in its entirety and whilst compiling it, did not seek input from the accused. The ABC’s Jackson cherry picked content from this report and went to the accusers with a redacted version seeking a response.

Now, I’m not sure you actually live in Australia, but trial by media in this country doesn’t usually canvass the facts prior to a public hanging ……..

Russell Jackson did not see the report - he conducted his own interviews with the players and their families. If he was somehow bound to sit on his information whilst waiting for the HFC report to be made public - well, he could have been waiting forever.

And that is the ultimate in unfairness.

Not sure why Hodge had to put out a statement. Nothing to stop him privately supporting them but publicly doing so is just fanning the flames.

You all only want this to go one way.
People here are literally baying for blood.
What's wrong with him throwing support behind Clarko?
People will look back at this thread and be embarrassed.

It could be anyone and the campaigners would no longer have to tie themselves in a knot carrying water for Clarko. It’s that easy.

There no experienced coaches available.
Clarko has a 5 year 1 million per season deal with us.

He will be coaching us and the meltdowns will be amazing.

There no experienced coaches available.
Clarko has a 5 year 1 million per season deal with us.

He will be coaching us and the meltdowns will be amazing.
He'll be suspended for anywhere between 3 years and life.
He'll have to apologise and compensation will be paid imo.

He'll be suspended for anywhere between 3 years and life.
He'll have to apologise and compensation will be paid imo.
How will the AFL come to that decision?
Will Fagan also get suspended?

It's actually frightening how people instantly made up their minds about these two highly respected football people over allegations and opinion pieces by Caroline Wilson.

Trial by media is very much in play here.

It's actually frightening how people instantly made up their minds about these two highly respected football people over allegations and opinion pieces by Caroline Wilson.

Russell Jackson is Caroline Wilson's alter ego? That explains a lot.

With all the new buzz about what he was trying to do to Sam Mitchell, clearly shows he's massive narcissist. But can we stop referring to this a "racist" issue please. Obviously he had been controlling to everyone...

Full Read:

Fresh allegations emerge of Alastair Clarkson’s controlling behaviour

Fresh allegations emerge of Alastair Clarkson’s controlling behaviour​

*Told Mitchell to hand in his mobile phone - along with the rest of the team - on the eve of an interstate game against Sydney during a period in which one of his twin babies was being frequently admitted to hospital.

*Expressed surprise before the twins’ birth that Mitchell was having children so close together (the Mitchell’s son Smith was 11 months old when the twins were born) and wondered at the effect this might have upon his playing career.
*Publicly announced Mitchell was missing a game against Richmond due to personal reasons relating to the twins’ health without the player’s knowledge or consent.
*Ultimately agreed to treat Mitchell with more respect when the pair resolved their differences at the end of the season but again questioned the wisdom of the timing of the twins’ birth.
It’s possible he was both controlling and racist.

Eg. He viewed a family situation of an indigenous player as unhealthy (based to a significant degree on prejudices) and then, being a controlling person, he behaved particularly paternalistic towards the player and cut him off from his family.

So far we are unaware of any white players claiming they were separated from pregnant partners and told to get an abortion.

Clarkson is not highly respected. He's respected as a coach but he has a history king-hitting someone in a game, abusing people at a juniors game, punching walls and now this.
I think Fagan and Burt will get the same as Clarkson.

You all only want this to go one way.
People here are literally baying for blood.
What's wrong with him throwing support behind Clarko?
People will look back at this thread and be embarrassed.
I respect Hodge going into bat for someone he clearly respects when the mob are piling on

What's frightening, is that people still give the 'highly respected football people' nonsense any weight at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back