AFLW Round 6, AFLW Season 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Would like to stick these tackles. Often it should be htb only to get away or handball out. But a lot of them are pretty young and lighter bodied for now. Unfortunately, it’s another thing that sticks out when your not winning.

Telling play of the day so far is: Fitzgerald's arrow kick to Lamb off HB, Lamb's bullet to Blackburn on the wing, then Blackburn's missile deep into F50 to Cranston. Then Cranston kicks a sack directly in front of goal... this after dropping her head and giving up earlier in the quarter, just what you want from a senior player.

And they did it with just 5 hitouts for the game, can't think of another time when an AFLW team would've had so few.
Come to think of it, Geelong probably had a few of those in the Aasta O'Connor years. Surprising they're on track to go somewhere near that today though.

Awesome mark by Berry, shame she burnt 20 seconds off the clock for a 10m set shot. More egregious late: Celine Moody's drop in the square, nobody going to Coyne for a dish off for her second ill-fated shot.

This result for Geelong means they should cruise to 24 points, therefore crystallising the must-win nature of the Richmond v Gold Coast game.

Usually teams visit Moorabbin, control the play, and spray their shots on goal.

Here's an assortment of grounds around Melbourne and respective goal-kicking accuracy for AFLW games. Stats say there's little or no disadvantage to the visitors for the first three examples.

Swinburne Centre (11 games)
Richmond: 44.4%
Away team: 46.7%

Arden Street Oval (7 games)
North Melb.: 44.3%
Away team: 52.6%

Ikon Park (27 games)
Carlton: 51.6%
Away team: 48.5%

RSEA Park (11 games)
St Kilda: 46.2%
Away team: 40.2%

There are always exceptions (GWS kicking 7.3 in pouring rain, think most goals came from like a metre out that day). But the Pies have kinda been in autopilot mode and they might find it hard to shake it off at this venue, so maybe they'll do just enough to get over the line again.

Great call.

Incredible finish to Pies v Saints.

Question.

Holding the ball rule.

Seems like the players are trained to drag the ball in and this is mostly rewarded with a ball up.

I feel this really slows the game down and annoys me as a spectacle. Too many ball ups and pile ons.

Anyone else notice this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been of the opinion the last touch rule needs to go for a while.

It really doesn't add anything to game.

I could understand it at the start to try and get the game flowing as it was more territory (well still is) but it should be considered removing as players are better.l at ball movement now.

I could understand it at the start to try and get the game flowing as it was more territory (well still is) but it should be considered removing as players are better.l at ball movement now.
It just punishes teams going for a quick clearance.

Today's game is a good example. It was a very man on man game. Hard to get the ball clear out of stoppage. When it did it was rushed.
It becomes aerial ping pong.

Change it to full sized throw ins and no last touch

Pretty ridiculous the Suns were close to winning that. Another horribly coached team. The Swans didn't throw the kitchen sink at Rowbottom like they did for Hatchard etc. But now, having already gone to another level, she definitely will be getting the unmatchable offer to move to Sydney (her hometown according to Kelli Underwood--am I allowed to correct that?).

For Richmond it was almost a carbon copy performance to the previous matches they've thrown away against GC, right down to the absent McKenzie. I'd like to say it was Egan who made the difference this time, but they still would have lost if not for the breakout game of Yassir (nice goal that deserved better than 0/10 camerawork & direction).

I've been of the opinion the last touch rule needs to go for a while.

It really doesn't add anything to game.
The last touch rule can be incredibly frustrating, but I think the current crop of AFLW coaches would show it's value pretty quickly if it was ever removed. Everything is already so defensively focused. Without the last touch rule, the ball would just spend more time around the boundary. Plus, we're already losing so much time on the clocks to stoppages and throw-ins are worse than ball-ups in that regard. At least the last touch usually gets it back in play faster.

The last touch rule can be incredibly frustrating, but I think the current crop of AFLW coaches would show it's value pretty quickly if it was ever removed. Everything is already so defensively focused. Without the last touch rule, the ball would just spend more time around the boundary. Plus, we're already losing so much time on the clocks to stoppages and throw-ins are worse than ball-ups in that regard. At least the last touch usually gets it back in play faster.
Teams go to the boundary as is. The boundary umpires are won't pay last touch unless it obvious.
Many a fumble gets paid as a throw in.

Teams go to the boundary as is. The boundary umpires are won't pay last touch unless it obvious.
Many a fumble gets paid as a throw in.
They're only supposed to pay a free if it comes off a boot or from a proper handball. A fumble over the line is supposed to be a throw-in.

And I agree that teams already go boundary - what I'm saying is they'll go boundary even more if you get rid of the rule. We'll wind up with more stoppages and I think that's the last thing the game needs.

They're only supposed to pay a free if it comes off a boot or from a proper handball. A fumble over the line is supposed to be a throw-in.

And I agree that teams already go boundary - what I'm saying is they'll go boundary even more if you get rid of the rule. We'll wind up with more stoppages and I think that's the last thing the game needs.

I'm all for keeping the play away form the boundary, but gifting free kicks when the ball bounces 90 degrees from centre wing and goes out, just ludicrous and makes no sense in the game of aussie rules. They could just pay everything as last touch, even the fumbles or taking it over the line whilst being tackled, that could make some sense... BUT....

Seeing players not go for the ball but just watch it go over the line, or even worse actively shepherding a player to let the ball go out for a free kick, it's total bullsh*t and ugly to see. It's actually uglier than the game without the last touch rule.

To me, that's worth a reversal... if you can get the ball but let it go out or block others to let it go out, well get stuffed, the last touch should be reversed for "insuffient intent" to keep the ball in!!! That's the actual damn rule, it should be applied to every player not just the last possession!

Last edited:
Latest ladder predictor attempt:

Adel or BL 9-1
Melb 9-1
Adel or BL 8-2
NM 7-3
----------
Geel 7-3
WB 7-3
Rich 7-3
Coll 6-4 or 7-3

Got some doubts about Collingwood going to WA and beating Fremantle (who are expected to have Ebony Antonio back by then), and I'm not sure it'll even matter. On form they should lose their last 2 and end up with a lower % than NM, Geel, WB & Rich.

If Richmond are to win seven games then geewiz Conti is going to be unbackable for the League B&F.

Other thing to note from my simulation: very Vic-heavy final 8, but no particularly salivating match-ups for AFL House. Pies v Tigers a chance though.

After Pound yesterday and Phillips today, Melbourne Uni overtakes Darebin for producing the most 50-gamers. There's ya footy factory.

SAM Bates, crafty left-arm orthodox spinner, lining up for Brisbane today according to Alister Nicholson. (Not the worst trade for the Sydney Thunder, Emily was a handy wicket-keeper for QLD U18s back in the day)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back