Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Depending on what a club wants any of Serong, Warner, SDK or Jackson could go number 1. You can make a strong argument for any of them. Then the other mids like Anderson, Rowell and Green along with Georgiades would go after that.

Pickett is the difficult one to place for me. Game breaker at times. Anonymous at times. Could go top 5. Could fall outside the top 10.

Warner just came 2nd in the Swans B&F, had more coaches votes, more brownlow votes and made the All Australian squad.

Serong and Warner are both young guns but Warner had the better 2022. Dismissing someones opinion after Warner has just outperformed him is bizarre.

Maybe watch other teams.
Serong is clearly the better player

And has been the better player over the 3 years

I watch all the teams, I watch too much footy lol

Serong is clearly the better player

And has been the better player over the 3 years

I watch all the teams, I watch too much footy lol

Not in 2022 he wasn't - unless you disagree with the coaches, umpires, AA selectors and your own club.

By 22 Diesel Williams had a Brownlow, MVP and B&F.
Yes and Rhys Palmer won the rising star and Fyfe didn’t.
I’m talking attributes style and whole career.
Book mark the s**t out of it.
Serong is double sided great balance great vision and has a sharp hand ball.
People will keep shitting on him for size or ceiling.
From an outside perspective he will be like Sam Mitchell was for me.
Never rated him hated his competitiveness finished with:
Brownlow
3xAA
5xBNF
4 flags (1 as captain)

Hopefully Warner can have a Serong type career, he'd be stoked to hit serongs level
You are selling Warner short.
He is excellent.
He deserves to be in any conversations from this draft.

Hopefully Warner can have a Serong type career, he'd be stoked to hit serongs level
He passed Serong's level - this year.

Its now Serong chasing to get to Warner's level - which is AA squad and one of the 3 players nominated by the club for the MVP.

You need to open both eyes. Warners 2022 was at another level to Serong.

Of Freo's 4 players selected, Serong seems unusurpable for me.

2019-21 look to be quite promising for the Dockers.
Freo have drafted ridiculously well in recent times.
Not only with the high picks but got some great value as well.
About to reap the rewards you'd suspect

Its now Serong chasing to get to Warner's level - which is AA squad and one of the 3 players nominated by the club for the MVP.

For me just like jai Newcombe only one good season of footy.
If he plays the same or better my opinion will change.
You can’t judge a player on 1 seasons form.
That’s why I reserve judgement on young still but think he will be a gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me just like jai Newcombe only one good season of footy.
If he plays the same or better my opinion will change.
You can’t judge a player on 1 seasons form.
That’s why I reserve judgement on young still but think he will be a gun.

They have been in the system 3 years and Warner was named in the best 40 players in the AFL in 2022.

No one in this draft has played at this level for an entire season. He has set the bar for the rest to chase.

On full season form sure. But serongs back end to the year after was as good as anyone's. They really are at very similar levels

And if you wanna talk about how warner kept that form for the entire season then it's worth factoring in how serongs first two seasons were miles better than anything warner had done up to that point.

On full season form sure. But serongs back end to the year after was as good as anyone's. They really are at very similar levels

And if you wanna talk about how warner kept that form for the entire season then it's worth factoring in how serongs first two seasons were miles better than anything warner had done up to that point.

As good as anyone's in this draft or comp? Either way its incorrect.

As good as anyone's in this draft or comp? Either way its incorrect.

He does realise tht even though we were bashed Warner did get 30 and kick 2 in a GF right. There’s stuff all between them. SDK is the best in the draft anyway so who cares whoever you want at 2 or 3, it’s one or the other. Anderson at 4. Simple

He does realise tht even though we were bashed Warner did get 30 and kick 2 in a GF right. There’s stuff all between them. SDK is the best in the draft anyway so who cares whoever you want at 2 or 3, it’s one or the other. Anderson at 4. Simple
Why don't you have a look at serongs finals stats they stack up very well against everyone else

Why don't you have a look at serongs finals stats they stack up very well against everyone else

Never said they didn’t. He’s not number 1 anyway, SDK is. Take your pick who is second it’s one of the two. Not fussed really. SDK was a key ingredient in a premiership side he’s number 1.

I think by the end of their careers that Serong will be #4/5.
Noah Anderson will be the best of the lot as he is sheer class but also is hard as. He's just better with ball in hand.
Warner and Young will be #2/3 followed by SDK/Serong.

With the way that Freo draft still can't believe that they wasted all their picks on Jackson????

Noah Anderson will be the best of the lot as he is sheer class but also is hard as. He's just better with ball in hand.

With the way that Freo draft still can't believe that they wasted all their picks on Jackson????
They tried desperately to trade up that year to get him in the draft. Instead ended up with young and serong.

That’s what people keep saying,
Limited, low ceiling and he keeps breaking through it.
He has great week to week consistency and is a big game player.
He was best a field in our 5 year 10 game drought breaking derby win as a 20 year old and best a field in our 6 year finals win drought.
The goal of the year in isolation is irrelevant but add it with hes big game performances it show not only does he dig in every week, backed up by ALFCA ALFPA and Rising star panel.
But he has X factor and is a difference maker.
I sound like a broken record but this kid is the second coming of diesel Williams!

Well that's probably a fair assessment, but I also do this ranking on what I expect from the players in the draft class for the next 10 plus years and rest of their career.

Warner had an outstanding finals series and was probably the Swans best player in their dismal grand final performance

Feels like he is the type of player that will thrive in big games/finals, nor necessarily saying Serong can't be that guy either.

Just really has a really solid and deeper draft than many people thought.

Freo had a great draft so I don't blame for not picking Warner, but it's baffling how he fell to pick 39.

Do you watch gc very often?

Anderson is a ball butcher

It's one of his biggest flaws, the bloke kicks floaters

I think the Serong vs Warner debate is a good one. Warner had the better 2022, attributing that to a Serong injury the first half the year is not fair on Warner when you cant quantify that type of thing. Serong has had the better career to date with his first two years being much better than Warners IMO.

That's the thing with these lists early on is that someone will base a ranking off what they view as potential and some will do it off actual output so you kinda end up debating different things. Clearly, both Sydney and Freo would be ******* ecstatic with both players.

For what it's worth, think Warner could have the higher ceiling being a little more dynamic but Serong has some incredible intangibles such as being a culture setting / top-shelf leader like a Selwood that's hard to quantify

I think the Serong vs Warner debate is a good one. Warner had the better 2022, attributing that to a Serong injury the first half the year is not fair on Warner when you cant quantify that type of thing. Serong has had the better career to date with his first two years being much better than Warners IMO.

That's the thing with these lists early on is that someone will base a ranking off what they view as potential and some will do it off actual output so you kinda end up debating different things. Clearly, both Sydney and Freo would be ******* ecstatic with both players.

For what it's worth, think Warner could have the higher ceiling being a little more dynamic but Serong has some incredible intangibles such as being a culture setting / top-shelf leader like a Selwood that's hard to quantify

This is where the Tim Kelly trade really hurts the Eagles, there was some real blue chip/quality WA clubs in that draft, and they didn't have their first pick until 49.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back