Review Grade your team’s draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox gave us a D+

think a tad harsh.

Mckenzie, Weddle & Hustewaite all seem good prospects.

Very harsh.

I'd give ourselves a B personally.

Two first rounders is great for any rebuilding club. McKenzie is BPA and fills a need. Weddle is very compelling athletically and has the scope to be a real POD player across all lines.
I thought we got great value with Hustwaite sliding to the 30s, had him going in the early 20s. Very excited with Bailey Mac on the one showing I have seen on him. Lightning quick and skillful even at speed.

Only one I'm not sold on is Jackie O but we haven't had too much luck in finding a Poppy replacement, especially with Breust and Wingers approaching the end in the next 2-3 years I'm not against it. Picks in the 40s-50s are always a bit of a crapshoot anyway.

Parker 2.0 as in a desperate need missed not exactly the same as Parker. Hobbs will be a great player, but you dont stop at a few midst capable in the contest. Most great sides reserve 6-7 list spots for that type of player. We have maybe 3 if Caldwell can stay on the park and Voss becomes a mid. None of them have the upside of George.

George could end up being a pure forward, even still we need midsized contested marking forwards that complement Wright and Jones.

It's a missed opportunity. Instead we draft the 11th defender in the first three rounds in 8 years, because that's worked so well for us...
so your philosophy would be to, what, give up drafting KPD's now? Because the two we had who never even cracked a game were delisted?

Bold strategy. Dunno about you but personally I'm sick of seeing your Stewart's and your Laverde's taking genuine hulk forwards on

Munkara… more potential than almost anyone in the draft? Including all of the top 30 picks?? Wow… ok
I mean, with the disclaimer almost, that was included, it's not that wild a statement. The kid could be absolutely anything. Or of course he could be a Jurrah/Mosquito scenario. But the talent is, apparently, pretty undeniable

We have absolutely zero need for KPD. BZT, Cox, Reid, Stewart, McBride along with Laverde and Ridley as pseudo tall depth is more than Geelong had to win the flag. Hayes was the third highest with the CHB and FB of the All Australian team going to Busslinger and Weddle respectively, who both went higher than him.
Did you trade Tom Stewart for James?

Ridley’s a great 3rd tall. There’s little evidence the rest are afl tall defenders.

Reid should get there. That’s 2, you’re still one short.

Cox is a midfielder or flanker who happens to be tall. Unless BZT really turned it around he’s depth at best, Stewart isn’t a long term player. Laverde regressed big time. And McBride, really?

Hayes is a great prospect, he’s rawer than Buss and Weddle but that’s ok, he’s a kid. And having 3 great tall backs is a recipe for success

B+ for Carlton

Hollands - I think he'll be a star of the future with a similar play style to Andy Brayshaw once he puts some size on. Hopefully he can fix our issues on the wing in the short term.

Cowan - Definitely rate this pick, but we have a surplus of half back/intercepting types. Maybe the list management team are hesitant to rely on McGovern and Marchbank long term; can't say I blame them.

Binns - This is where I got a little confused about our overall strategy. I like Binns as a player but figured we had addressed wing by selecting Hollands. My thinking is that Austin is throwing as many resources as possible to fix the team's Achilles Heel. The last time Carlton did this was when we selected a plethora of talls in the 2015 draft - hoping we see similar results this time around. I badly wanted Hotton at this pick, but if us and the Pies are passing on him twice, I guess I should trust their judgement.

Lemmey - Love this pick. This time last year he was in the conversation to go number one. He's a beautiful kick and a perfect size. Get him to follow around Harry and Charlie at all times. If he fulfills his potential, it could be the greatest pick we've ever made. Additionally, he could release Charlie to play the third tall role which I think is his best position long term.

worldwildlifefund-wwf.gif

Difficult to be unhappy with our haul.

Best available in Tsatas.
One of the best two key defenders in Hayes.

No bid on Davey pre-pick 22, so got the twins for late picks.

Munkara as Cat B is the very sweet cherry on top.

I guess B+? The above kind of picked itself.

And we keep a spot open for psd plus an SSP spot with jayden onto the LTI (despite looking ok to play vfl early next year...mmm loopholes)

So 2 more to come

A
Sheezel will be a marquee player
Wardlaw seems a safe bet
George without the acl was on track for top 10
Harvey underrated, versatile, tough and can accumulate

Just wish we got a KPF
lots of people wish that, myself too, but this wasnt the draft for it. we are better off waiting for next year where we will have to top 12 picks, there might be a bit more talent in that position next year, atm it looks like their will be

lots of people wish that, myself too, but this wasnt the draft for it. we are better off waiting for next year where we will have to top 12 picks, there might be a bit more talent in that position next year, atm it looks like their will be
had we demoted spicer or anyone to the rookie list and kept pick 40 we could have had 1 of keeler, lemmey or scully

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C+

Thought we made the right choices at the start, but almost everyone else would've picked Sheezel and Wardlaw in our position.

Like the pick up of George, whilst we already did invest in a forward of his size in sheezel our forward line is hot garbage so I'm fine with heavy investment into the area.

Harvey was a free hit I'll take.

Just wished we took a KPP and ideally a KPF, hopefully we pick up one in the rookie draft.

North get an A for mine. Obviously it's easy when you have picks two and three though.

Next year there will be some KPP's in the top ten and it's likely that North will have a top four or five pick, so you could address that need then.

Meanwhile in a few years you'll have Zurhaar, Sheezel and George playing forward (and potentially rolling through the middle). All of which will be matchup nightmares in the same side. I really love what North are building.

B+ for Sydney

Konstanty- just what we needed, behind Paps it's slim pickings for a small forward on our list
Vickery- Look possibly a bit higher, but he's the type we love, and Linear said we view him as a Nick Smith clone replacement
Mitchell- at 42, swing for the fences on some traits that may work

Plus added the Hawks F2 AND F3

Good work all round I'm happy.

You would have to say it was a tsatasfactory draft for the Bombers. 😁

North get an A for mine. Obviously it's easy when you have picks two and three though.

Next year there will be some KPP's in the top ten and it's likely that North will have a top four or five pick, so you could address that need then.

Meanwhile in a few years you'll have Zurhaar, Sheezel and George playing forward (and potentially rolling through the middle). All of which will be matchup nightmares in the same side. I really love what North are building.
I agree with the bottom part. I think we're stocking up on some quality medium/small forward types, especially when you include Curtis who I rate really highly into the mix.

It just feels like we're kicking the KPP can down the road. But maybe it's because CCJ hasn't turned out how we've liked so far.

Also I'm pretty sure my grading system is a lot less generous. There's only 1 or 2 teams that I'd give an A and the same amount for B. So when I say North had a C+ draft I still think that it was overall good.

I think vfl is ok...not entirely sure. All ive seen is he's gone straight on the LTI.
So all eyes now are on our PSD and SSP picks.

I thought I read somewhere inactive players on the LTI can't play in the state leagues either. Will be interesting to see how he goes. Someone I know that has seen both play reckons Jayden was the more talented twin pre-ACL.

I thought I read somewhere inactive players on the LTI can't play in the state leagues either. Will be interesting to see how he goes. Someone I know that has seen both play reckons Jayden was the more talented twin pre-ACL.
Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus.
In an ideal world we've plugged the glaring gaps in our fwd line.

Jayden becomes the small forward we havent had since orazio left.
Alwyn is more HF/mid.
Munkara takes over from tippa
With wright and jones, it leaves us mainly needing a chf now.

B+ for the dees. Filled needs with a key forward and a key defender but Jefferson is 2 years away. Jed Adams looks good but being from WA always scares me a bit. I'm glad we kept our 2 first rounders next year and didn't give them away for essendons pick 5. We won't regret it when next years draft comes along.

B+

Busslinger - Longer term option but can potentially impact first year spine now set for 10 years if he kicks on as he should.

Clarke - High pressure forward who kicks goals and brings energy is what we were missing and was noticeable when Weightman wasn't up and about will have a great impact next year

Gallagher - Solid all round player who I would say we would be looking at playing either on the wing or the half backline

Remove this Banner Ad

Back