Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Acres is a role player, he’s not a match winner. If he wasnt replaceable he’d still be here. The coaches were disappointed with his ball use & felt it hampered our ball movement between the arcs. They were happy to keep him, but felt he had not earned a longer term contract after a couple of poor years.

Your a stronger man than me, I was live at the ground and still haven’t been able to bring myself to watch the replay, which I always usually do (even with losses) because there’s so much of the inside game you miss when at the ground.
I know - I was also there live. Watching the replay reminded me it was bad - but maybe not quite as bad as I had remembered!

P.S. I have still to this day not watched one nano second of the 2013 GF replay having been at the ground.

Last edited:
If we are really desperate for the big bodied winger that can get back and help the defence but also has limitations offensively, we will play Ethan Hughes on the wing round 1. He’s as like for like as we’ve got and he’s about 2000 times tougher than Blake too.

Acres was terrific for half a season and I even changed from calling him Jane in a derivative manner to a loving one. I believe the reason the club decided not to match the offer was because there was too much risk in projecting him to have that level of output consistently going forward. That is probably why it was heavily performance based. Just a business decision. Fair play to him.

I can't believe that Carlton, of all clubs, can take on that risk. With Zac Williams going down and and Walsh missing they might need to speak to the AFL about their player payments before the AFL comes to speak to them.

Team, I reckon we can get a match preview for every round of the year this season so jump on board. You dont have to write a novel (I only used gifs last year) so back yourself in and give it a go

Acres was terrific for half a season and I even changed from calling him Jane in a derivative manner to a loving one. I believe the reason the club decided not to match the offer was because there was too much risk in projecting him to have that level of output consistently going forward. That is probably why it was heavily performance based. Just a business decision. Fair play to him.

I can't believe that Carlton, of all clubs, can take on that risk. With Zac Williams going down and and Walsh missing they might need to speak to the AFL about their player payments before the AFL comes to speak to them.

Whats the issue with Walsh

If we are really desperate for the big bodied winger that can get back and help the defence but also has limitations offensively, we will play Ethan Hughes on the wing round 1. He’s as like for like as we’ve got and he’s about 2000 times tougher than Blake too.
This sounds very plasible.

Him moving under his own decision is an easy way to upgrade the wing game plan. Plan A is now quick transition and precision kicking for our forwards and if we drop a bit of defense then we can cover. Plan B - Revert to the Defensive winger with limited offence capabilities and slowing up our forward transition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Banfield may be an option too. I think he was tried on the wing during one of the match sims? But yeah, Hughes could be that type of player. His kicking to inside 50 is pretty good.

Hughes probably has a lot of the physical attributes, assuming his endurance is up to it. On the other hand, he doesn't have a huge history of quality decision-making to say he'll bring that to the table as a wing.

I know - I was also there live. Watching the replay reminded me it was bad - but maybe not quite as bad as I had remembered!

P.S. I have still to this day not watched one nano second of the 2013 GF replay having been at the ground.
Same here re GF. It’ll sound like Captain Hindsight but all my long slow way there (fly to Adelaide, overnight bus v is a 1,000 stops to Melbourne) I kept thinking the boys weren’t going to make it - that they’d already played their GF v Sydney (& wonderful it was too). I thought we were absolutely good enough to win it but that first-time nerves would get the better of them. We had virtually front-row seats and when 2 of our best on goal kicked early OOFs just metres from us I could barely watch the rest of the match. Felt so sad for the boys.
At least our current squad have built a fair bit of on- road success & hopefully their Pies experience has helped harden them.

Same here re GF. It’ll sound like Captain Hindsight but all my long slow way there (fly to Adelaide, overnight bus v is a 1,000 stops to Melbourne) I kept thinking the boys weren’t going to make it - that they’d already played their GF v Sydney (& wonderful it was too). I thought we were absolutely good enough to win it but that first-time nerves would get the better of them. We had virtually front-row seats and when 2 of our best on goal kicked early OOFs just metres from us I could barely watch the rest of the match. Felt so sad for the boys.
At least our current squad have built a fair bit of on- road success & hopefully their Pies experience has helped harden them.
Ditto re GF

And I was pretty solidly drunk too. Swore I'd never go to another grand final (combination of grand final hangover and real hangover was awful), but I've got a friend who I think would need the support....

Banfield may be an option too. I think he was tried on the wing during one of the match sims? But yeah, Hughes could be that type of player. His kicking to inside 50 is pretty good.
His kicking is actually underrated when he plays on instinct. He can play Acres' role just needs more match time on the wing.

Hughes probably has a lot of the physical attributes, assuming his endurance is up to it. On the other hand, he doesn't have a huge history of quality decision-making to say he'll bring that to the table as a wing.
I can't believe his decision making is any worse than B Acres, or his disposal and he is a very good athlete so I think it will be very interesting to see how he goes if he gets a game there. I doubt you'll see amazing goals on the fly from the boundary line but you might just see him actually hit up a forward. I'm really hoping so.

His kicking is actually underrated when he plays on instinct. He can play Acres' role just needs more match time on the wing.
He's a good kick but does have tenancy to panic under pressure. Also takes a bit long sometimes.

I could say that about a number of players on our list tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back