Preview Rd3 Geelong V Gold Coast Sun Apr 02 2:10pm Heritage Bank Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ceglar is a better ruckmsn, Stanley a bit better around the ground. Ceglar more than adequate. I doubt Stewart or Kolo will play. I am looking forward to Ollie Dempsey breaking into the team.
My guess is that if we lose a tall forwards we replace with a midfielder given our weakness there

Cuts must win to get the season back on track
Cannot afford another loss or open a ladder gap
New Cats need a good win to instill confidence
Experience and participate in an attacking surge
Understanding team roles and how teammates play
Build camaraderie and team first selflessness
Create a winning mindset and eliminate doubt
Perform competitiveness to retain team spots
Ease pressure rushing players back from injury
Allow managing older stars throughout the year.

Most importantly keep BigFooty Cat fans :)

Cuts must win to get the season back on track
Cannot afford another loss or open a ladder gap
New Cats need a good win to instill confidence
Experience and participate in an attacking surge
Understanding team roles and how teammates play
Build camaraderie and team first selflessness
Create a winning mindset and eliminate doubt
Perform competitiveness to retain team spots
Ease pressure rushing players back from injury
Allow managing older stars throughout the year.

Most importantly keep BigFooty Cat fans :)
I think you left an 'N' out from your 1st word :rolleyes:

extbookI'm with Goggin the Best, especially as I guess he's about my age.

Stanley has been an extremely serviceable and durable player for the Cats. At least if he gets beaten for the tap, he has other attributes which contribute to our success - pace, mobility, takes marks, kicks the odd sausage and can get decisive centre clearances.
The need for some posters to still be 'right' about how they see players never ceases to amuse. Even after playing a key role as our #1 ruck through a 16-game winning streak that led to a fantastically memorable flag, we're still subjected to the 'just keeping it real' crew, who can't abide the thought that Rhys is even considered to be serviceable as a player.

The facts are that he has been the only remotely competitive ruck we've had from week to week since 'the Pill'. Has lowered his colours to opposition rucks at times, no doubt. But has also had plenty of memorable wins against the supposedly elite rucks of this era. You can't do that if you're clearly not up to the level.

It's absolutely laughable that becoming a premiership ruckman only seems to have galvanised his critics to go even harder with their vitriol about how irrelevant he is. Whereas the truth is that our 2022 flag doesn't even become a reality without him out there, and he deserves to be celebrated just as much as everyone else in that triumphant team.

#textbookfonzarellis
#iwaswrwrwrwr
#keeptryingyoulot

The need for some posters to still be 'right' about how they see players never ceases to amuse. Even after playing a key role as our #1 ruck through a 16-game winning streak that led to a fantastically memorable flag, we're still subjected to the 'just keeping it real' crew, who can't abide the thought that Rhys is even considered to be serviceable as a player.

The facts are that he has been the only remotely competitive ruck we've had from week to week since 'the Pill'. Has lowered his colours to opposition rucks at times, no doubt. But has also had plenty of memorable wins against the supposedly elite rucks of this era. You can't do that if you're clearly not up to the level.

It's absolutely laughable that becoming a premiership ruckman only seems to have galvanised his critics to go even harder with their vitriol about how irrelevant he is. Whereas the truth is that our 2022 flag doesn't even become a reality without him out there, and he deserves to be celebrated just as much as everyone else in that triumphant team.

#textbookfonzarellis
#iwaswrwrwrwr
#keeptryingyoulot
Stanley at his best is a weapon player. Way more than a serviceable player.
He has proved that last year as you said, and his athleticism is very difficult for opposition teams to handle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ceglar is a better ruckmsn, Stanley a bit better around the ground. Ceglar more than adequate. I doubt Stewart or Kolo will play. I am looking forward to Ollie Dempsey breaking into the team.
Ceglar is nowhere near the quality of Stanley, but Neale wasn't named, so that's what we have at present, if Stanley is unavailable

#textbookfonzarellis
#iwaswrwrwrwr
#keeptryingyoulot
You're right, the Rhys defenders (myself included) have never claimed he's a superstar. We've never said we wouldn't prefer Gawn or Nic Nat in years gone by.

All we've done is acknowledge what we've all seen, he was more than serviceable and stood up in big games in a premiership year.

As you say, for some reason people still want to act like he's this hopeless spud, which has never been the case.

He is what's he's always been: A solid ruckman who can look elite on his day, or very poor on a bad-day. Not dissimilar to most players who aren't in the elite bracket.

It's just strange that in games where our true top end don't show up, so many point the finger at Rhys instead of them. He's at permanent whipping boy status.

Indeed several former whipping boys are now Premiership players - Cam Guthrie was questioned over a few seasons some time ago, though i never understood why. Zac Guthrie, Kolo and Bews at times. and there I'm guilty in each case.

It's a credit to the club that it has seen something in these and other players - Atkins is the perfect example - and enabled them to achieve the ultimate success.

Indeed several former whipping boys are now Premiership players - Cam Guthrie was questioned over a few seasons some time ago, though i never understood why. Zac Guthrie, Kolo and Bews at times. and there I'm guilty in each case.

It's a credit to the club that it has seen something in these and other players - Atkins is the perfect example - and enabled them to achieve the ultimate success.
To be fair, that was pretty much just one specific person doing that.

Maybe a few surprises here

No announcement on the sub at this stage

AFL Round 3 Team​

In: Tom Stewart, Jonathon Ceglar
Out: Rhys Stanley (Managed), Gary Rohan (Managed), Cooper Whyte (Sub)

BacksJed BewsSam De KoningZach Tuohy
Half BacksEsava RatugoleaTom StewartZach Guthrie
CentrelineIsaac SmithTanner BruhnMark Blicavs
Half ForwardsTyson StengleJeremy CameronBrad Close
ForwardsGryan MiersTom HawkinsTom Atkins
FollowersJonathon CeglarCameron GuthriePatrick Dangerfield (C)
InterchangeMark O'ConnorJack BowesMax Holmes
Ollie Henry
EmergenciesJake KolodjashnijGary RohanRhys Stanley
Cooper Whyte

AFL Round 3 Team​

Ollie Henry
Cooper Whyte
Still reckon might be another surprise? Ie. Kolo in for Stewart?

If Rhys and Rohan are managed then they other two will be held back - one as sub and one just in case. A bit of a shame for cooper unless he is the sub and gets more time? He will need to get a full game in at some stage

EDIT: although I think we have form as having a “managed” player as sub. So maybe cooper or Kolo might play VFL with the two managed players being held back just in case?

Last edited:

AFL Round 3 Team​

Ollie Henry
Cooper Whyte
Even at this early stage, some pretty tough selection decisions made O. Henry for Rohan is one. Still gotta fit Duncan, J. Henry, Kolo and Stanley back in. This is a good thing...

Still seething about TDK's abysmal and deliberate attempt to injure Rhys last week. Not only did he totally get away with it due to the pathetic inaction of the AFL, we've now got our #1 ruck missing games as a result. Leaving us short in a critical role in a vital game against a quality opponent in Witts.

Atrocious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back