Autopsy Cats lose to Freo by 29 in Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree and I think Max Holmes has read all his pre season publicity.
Simpson if you can't kick 35 metres you shouldn't be in the team.
Tuohy is cooked very unsure with ball in hand
Actually thought Parfitt tried hard
Way to esy to score against
I’m actually a bit worried about max- he gets plenty of touches but I’m not sure his disposal and use of the ball is as promising as it was before the injury

Agree and I think Max Holmes has read all his pre season publicity.
Simpson if you can't kick 35 metres you shouldn't be in the team.
Tuohy is cooked very unsure with ball in hand
Actually thought Parfitt tried hard
Way to esy to score against
Only thing Max has in common with Dangerfield is his ability to burn the ball and only run one way

Bews and Simpson will make way for others as they come back. Jack Henry cannot play forward and I reckon he won't displace Kolo down back. Tuohy tuohy slow. We desperately need Rohan Dangerfield and Cuthrie back before we will do any damage. In all honesty that was a belting today. Freo ran rings around us, walked out of tackles, did as they pleased. On a positive note Bruhn was our best player and Stengle was good coming back from injury.

I’m actually a bit worried about max- he gets plenty of touches but I’m not sure his disposal and use of the ball is as promising as it was before the injury
30 touches the last two weeks combined as a full time mid. Atkins and Blicavs aren't massive ball winners but can have strong games getting 15-20. However they need others around them getting it more. Holmes with 15 possessions as a midfielder is basically like Guthrie getting 8.

Kolo and Stewart really ****ed us over in that last quarter it has to be said. Dumb football

This !! Worst game Stewart has played for a long time. Very poor I thought.

I had a rush of nostalgia watching Kolo this week.

Hope we get the likes of Stanley, Danger and Guthrie back before the bye. I'd hate to see how a midfield minus that trio would go up against the Dogs with English, Bontempelli, Liberatore, Treloar and Macrae in a fortnight.

I touched upon this in the gameday chat, but I'll open this question up to the post-match thread:

Is this the worst our backline has looked since 2006?

The only rival to this year's backline in terms of mediocrity of performance I can think of would be the 2015 backline. And even then I still think our 2015 group weren't playing as poorly as this.

We need our players back.

Danger
Guthrie
Duncan
DeKoning
Henry
Rohan
Stanley
Bowes

Get those back and we will be fine, but * it’s hard when you have your genuine VFL standard players out there.

This.

We just have too many players out to compete. It’s that simple. Structures break down and we end up not taking our chances due to lack of experience

I thought Atkins cracked in hard all game he's not silk but every side needs their Tom Atkins type when the chips are down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I touched upon this in the gameday chat, but I'll open this question up to the post-match thread:

The only rival to this year's backline in terms of mediocrity of performance I can think of would be the 2015 backline. And even then I still think our 2015 group weren't playing as poorly as this.

With the way the Dockers were waltzing through our midfield like they were a bunch of witches hats, I think our 2007 backline would've struggled today.

The onus was on a bunch of leaders to stand up once Dangerfield went out of the side. They did it for a half against Adelaide to get over the line.

Over the 2 games I can only say Hawkins has put his hand up, given how badly our delivery has been.

For now it looks like our bounce back is entirely reliant on Dangerfield returning and hitting the ground running. It best be appreciated if he does that and the others around him lift. Because without him, they have looked entirely lost.

True enough. All were playing well with Dangerfield in the team when we were missing Guthrie (Atkins not on the stat sheet but contesting fine). So we may be finding out that we are entirely reliant on Dangerfield at his best. Because if you look up forward and in defence, we are very close to full strength. And particularly in defence, having one of our worst seasons in the past 15 years.

It's a bit of a flashback to the Dangerwood years (2016-17). Amazing top end talent, then very little underneath.

Ironic given that all the talk pre-season was about our supposedly "unprecedented" depth.

Played from behind all day, looked absolutely second rate.
Freo did what they wanted kicking out of their back half, and worse,
it was telegraphed well in advance, while I watch Sav and Bews and Zuthrie just jog too late to the spot we knew it was going.
If that's a result of zoning, we don't have the class. Zuthrie's game was okay other than being caught out behind.

Going by the numbers probably our worst loss of the year. Lowest disposal efficiency, even worse than the suns game. So many missed tackles. Defence a shambles. Horrible game from Stewart.

At least we didn’t get any injuries

The team have to get back to Geelong yet.

30 touches the last two weeks combined as a full time mid. Atkins and Blicavs aren't massive ball winners but can have strong games getting 15-20. However they need others around them getting it more. Holmes with 15 possessions as a midfielder is basically like Guthrie getting 8.
Maybe, and sure, when he gets some of the experienced players back in he will be ok. It’s not as if I’m actually writing him off!

I think he's just trying to both win on the inside and run to the outside every time. Doesn't work when you're the only mid the oppo needs to worry about

Also, I just don’t see a player in knevitt. He’s gotten a lot of praise on this board but apart from a strong overhead mark (coz of his height), I find him a liability. poor kick, quite lethargic in his style, slow and awkward. He’s not why we lost, our whole team should cop it before a young player but I think this board has shot their load way too early on this kid for lack of actual output

Yes. The players on paper are great, they had outstanding 2022 seasons. Ratugolea makes the odd mistake but I haven't seen him as a downgrade on SDK from last year - so he's fine.

O'Connor and Z.Guthrie started the season well (I know we conceded a lot but we were minus SDK, Kolo and Stewart at points) but have really fallen off a cliff. Kolo has been pretty bad besides a couple of games. Stewart shocking defensively and sometimes now with ball in hand. Tuohy too old, injured or both. Duncan can't quite hang with defensive duties anymore. The game might've gone past Bews too. Then we've been missing J.Henry and SDK.

Yes having a depleted midfield has explained some of the easy opposition scoring. But a fairly experienced defence that was elite last year, has been one of the worst in the comp so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back