Autopsy Cats lose to GWS by 7 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
no one watches the footy And remembers it. The human brain does not have that capability.The average football follower can remember 5 percent of plays immediately after the game at best. Your mind makes up the rest.

rohans run down tackles are memorable. As is his chases that cause a poor kick and turnover. But it rarely happens. Your mind is tricking you into thinking it happens far far more then it does cos its memorable and makes up the 5 per cent.

its a mind trick that we all suffer from collectively. Its not reality. Stats however make no such mistakes. They are an imperfect measure of a game but they dont forget 95 percent of it and make up the gap. stats dont lie.

its about time we place far more emphasis on stats rather then our minds which are collectively biased to make stuff up.
:D

no one watches the footy And remembers it. The human brain does not have that capability.The average football follower can remember 5 percent of plays immediately after the game at best. Your mind makes up the rest.

rohans run down tackles are memorable. As is his chases that cause a poor kick and turnover. But it rarely happens. Your mind is tricking you into thinking it happens far far more then it does cos its memorable and makes up the 5 per cent.

its a mind trick that we all suffer from collectively. Its not reality. Stats however make no such mistakes. They are an imperfect measure of a game but they dont forget 95 percent of it and make up the gap. stats dont lie.

its about timewe place far more emphasis on stats then our minds which are collectively biased to make stuff up.
If I’m a defender I’d remember if Rohan was chasing me or if Parfitt was, and more often than not, my disposal would reflect this. Not recorded on your stats sheet either. Perceived pressure is real.

Which players will leave end season?
What's the likely exodus?
Stanley?
Rohan?
Duncan?
Tuohy?
Hawkins
Smith? He seems to be still capable of firing up

Last edited:

As i was replying to the Cursed Cat post , and CC was commenting on Tanner Bruhn and Mitch Knevitt and having debated players many times with CC ,I thought that CC would know who I was talking about. To be honest I think most of the time that the letter references were decipherable ... just as SDek are. unless the subject is about Jhye Clark and Jez Cameron in the same sentence

however .. its really minial effort to remember your point. ,and I will try to remember to use their name at least once before using initialisation.

I didn't think that the initials were too hard to work out - it's something I've started doing, especially for the players with longer names and whom my phone doesn't recognise their name meaning a long type each time

As i was replying to the Cursed Cat post , and CC was commenting on Tanner Bruhn and Mitch Knevitt and having debated players many times with CC ,I thought that CC would know who I was talking about. To be honest I think most of the time that the letter references were decipherable ... just as SDek are. unless the subject is about Jhye Clark and Jez Cameron in the same sentence

however .. its really minial effort to remember your point. ,and I will try to remember to use their name at least once before using initialisation.

Not buying into other peoples discussions BUT I do think it is the friendly thing to do for all posters to clearly identify the player you are talking about in the post. Common nicknames etc OK , but variations especially with a newish player confuse. Makes for a much more easy and enjoyable read. Saves back tracking.

Having a depleted midfield doesn't cause you to lose F50 tackle count 22 to ####en 4! Forwards need to pull their heads out their backsides. And on our own home ground. Bout time these lazy dip shits got interested rather than just looking for easy goals against sides that have given up. Absolute bullshit effort.

Its the difference between the ball being delivered into the forward line accurately enough that we can either mark it or turn it into a disputed ball we can pressure, or giving it straight to a GWS player to clear without being under heat. Same applies on the inverse to entries to our defence.

Which players will leave end season?
What's the likely exodus?
Stanley?
Rohan?
Duncan?
Tuohy?
Smith? He seems to be still capable of firing up

IF Stanley's vision returns to normal, I see him re-signed on a 1-year deal depending on other rucks coming in. He may become the backup option rather than first choice though as we likely want to get games into Conway, and TDK if he joins

Duncan contracted through to next year, so he stays

Tuohy I see as a retirement option

Smith & Rohan, I'm on the fence for both - prior to the start of the season I was leaning towards this being the last year for both, but watching our start to the season both still look important to our structure. The telling thing over the back half of the year will be their speed & touch - if either starts to lose to their speed and look a little slow out there, then that's when I see the end as being near

Ceglar - retirement

Menegola - retirement if his knee doesn't come good, otherwise he'll take a FA option

And then I think we'll see a couple of players opt for the trade option

Not sure about Stanley, Rohan and Smith
My thinking is 23 is not our year, just impossibly difficult to resurrect the season with so many long term outs who all have to find form and fitness.
So is 24 a realistic focus for a flag with who we have- another year older- or is it time to develop the up and comers a lot more?

IF Stanley's vision returns to normal, I see him re-signed on a 1-year deal depending on other rucks coming in. He may become the backup option rather than first choice though as we likely want to get games into Conway, and TDK if he joins

Duncan contracted through to next year, so he stays

Tuohy I see as a retirement option

Smith & Rohan, I'm on the fence for both - prior to the start of the season I was leaning towards this being the last year for both, but watching our start to the season both still look important to our structure. The telling thing over the back half of the year will be their speed & touch - if either starts to lose to their speed and look a little slow out there, then that's when I see the end as being near

Ceglar - retirement

Menegola - retirement if his knee doesn't come good, otherwise he'll take a FA option

And then I think we'll see a couple of players opt for the trade option
Hawkins?

I know he looks slow at times, but he seems to have looked that way the last few years

I can see him playing for another 2 years if his body & mind let him

Neale on the sidelines so far this year also comes into it, and I'm not sure Foster is necessarily ready to step into the FF spot in the senior team

I'd like to see a year of transition with Hawkins & Neale, with the latter being able to play alongside the veteran and learn from him as part of the changing of the guard process

First time in a long while at this stage of the season I recall us having more L’s than W’s☹️

The old cause and effect has caught up with us this season.
During our 16 game streak last season we became number one in scoring off opposition turnover and number one in defending score from our turnovers.
The effects were glorious- we moved the ball with precision into our F50 when we got it back and our forwards feasted on that quality supply- we scored heavily and guys like Miers and Close were vital links in the chain with their 2 way endurance running.
We also played brilliant team defence and pressured the opposition relentlessly when they had the pill.
Add to that a healthy playing list and a Gf opponent who weren’t quite ready and voila we take the chocolates - with the oldest team ever to play👏

Well , we are well and truly up against it this season with injuries to many and key players forcing us to reshuffle .
In this very competitive league that has led to predictable and disappointing outcomes ☹️
The incredible strengths of last season are a long way away and we be up against it to make the 8 let alone challenge again.

That’s footy but let’s hope we regroup and get some rhythm post Bye and ensure the young guys get a taste of real Cats footy and take that forward 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this gonna be 1993 all over again? Hampered by injury, fly home, be considered the best side in the comp yet miss finals?
Beat pies late in the year like we did the eagles.
30 year anniversary
Baby Bombers to win 23 flag?
Couchy told us at a meeting that was definitely the year we were the best team and better than 89,92,94, and 95 losing GF teams

Some more random observations in the light of day...

* Cameron's not off the boil, he's just not kicking straight. 2.7 in the last week shows he's getting shots. Turn 2.3 last night into 4.1 and that's the game. Not sure what's happened though, because he couldn't miss earlier in the season (only kicked 2+ behinds twice in the first 9 games).

* Parfitt tried hard early, but he's just so out of form he's a passenger at best and liability at worst. That kick into the centre in the last was certainly a better option than the blaze for glory - but somehow picked out the Giants player. Not his fault they took it down the other end for the sealer, but another example of how far off he is.

* O'Connor had a shocker - fumble, fumble, fumble. He's not the cleanest player at the best of times but normally not that nervous with the ball. Was reasonably solid earlier in the year but hard to say where's he at right now.

* Miers - yeah, he missed a gettable goal but would have to be up there for B&F. Thought he was our best player behind Stewart last night. His delivery into F50 is Hawkins-esque.

* Ratugolea had played a good game until going off injured, but bizarrely enough I think him out of the action helped us. Stewart stepped up, and with him picking off the intercepts our rebound game stepped up big time. It coincided with the whole team pulling their collective finger out but as good as Sav as with intercepts and spoils, rebound is not his strength.

* Seeing Stengle in the middle... man, the midfield cupboard is bare. Don't like it, don't want him wasted there. He's not Shai Bolton, don't play him there.

* Mullin was very encouraging for a career that's now 5(?) VFL/AFL games in total. Has the physical attributes and he didn't seem overawed. Would've brought the house down if he'd kicked that goal. I'd be playing him next week.

* Bruhn went OK, especially playing with a banged up shoulder. 16 disposals in 53% game time (lower due to being off injured?) is not bad. Still wasn't super clean and did that weird shepherd, but is cracking in.

* Knevitt is another who I think will make it, but seems to be developing a knack for making a bad mistake. Last week missed an absolute soda and then this week... could be recency bias! Hard to judge his game being the sub, but his marking power is a big asset. Will be interested to see his game develop into next year.

* Ceglar did well, and has been since being in the team. That is all.

* At a team level, watching the Giants spread and have options through the corridor time and time again was probably the most frustrating thing about last night. I can be critical of our backline but our midfield (I know, it's a pretty loose term at this point) did bugger all to help them out again.

* Extending on that defensive pressure theme - 4 F50 tackles for the whole game? No wonder they could waltz it up the field. Disappointing from Close, Stengle, and Henry. Hawkins wasn't moving quite right - could be injured? Either way, it made things too easy for them.

Watching the flow and getting a feel of the game, it seemed like we were out-played comfortably and yet we were a goal away with 3 minutes to go.

Of course, the elephant in the room is that it's impossible to assess the group with the level of injuries we have.

The worry now is that for all the talk of "when we get players back and the injuries let up"... as we're seeing, the injuries don't have to let up. Sav was as healthy as anyone on the list and now he's out for the foreseeable future. We can rage and rail all we like, but if it keeps up the season will be dusted.

That parfitt kick was the right option in the wrong moment. We had em under the hammer, 2 points down, if he goes for goal we either take the lead or give them possesion in or near our goal line and allow us to press em. Instead a GWS player gets it 40m out, then clears it to the center square. Game over. Cant get mad but the moment he kicked it in shallow I thought "thats the game".

I didn't think that the initials were too hard to work out - it's something I've started doing, especially for the players with longer names and whom my phone doesn't recognise their name meaning a long type each time

AS a member of the fossil federation .. I remember when letters were typed on paper and were formal ...and abbreviations were limited to things like 10 am . I cant ever remember it being refereed to ante meridiem or et cetera instead of Etc.

But we live in a different world .. where keystrokes are often minimised... some are a bit common thru frequent use some ..still perplex me.. I had to look up OATUS a while ago... (on a totally unrelated subject) ...

I was probably being to abbreviated but I\'d have thought the initials of a players name would not rank with mysteries held with a Dan Brown novel ...:)

... but no worries ... or should I say ... all OK.. LOL. Good have have a laugh after getting done yesterday :thumbsu:

NGL had a big laugh at Savs shot on goal. Nonchalantly takes a great intetcerpt mark on the 50, confidently tells the team he's having a shot, goes back and lines it up. Second step of his run in and his eyes go wide as he realizes ""OMG IM KICKING AT THE STICKS" and literally all the confidence he's picked up this season leaves his body. Proceeds to do his worst kick of the season and shank it out on the full. Think that kick may have been the one that did his hammie too.

Is this gonna be 1993 all over again? Hampered by injury, fly home, be considered the best side in the comp yet miss finals?
Beat pies late in the year like we did the eagles.
30 year anniversary

I think the full season will follow the arc of many of our losses over last few years (excluding last year). Sluggish start gets us in a hole. Make a late charge when all looks lost and play our most exciting football late in year.

Then when it looks we have reeled them back in, make a mistake or two and it will end in frustration and a feeling that ‘gee we could/should have won that in the end, even with everything we did wrong’

Oh Seeds, anyone who "watches the footy" sees the obvious: Parfitt is a battling scrubber of a player who is very lucky indeed to have had an AFL career. He never has been, is not now and never will be as valuable to the team as Rohan, without whom, incidentally, we may not have won the flag last year.

A few tackles as a mid-fielder is not enough and does not compensate for being slow, a shocking kick and decision-maker etc.

Oh Seeds, anyone who "watches the footy" sees the obvious: Parfitt is a battling scrubber of a player who is very lucky indeed to have had an AFL career. He never has been, is not now and never will be as valuable to the team as Rohan, without whom, incidentally, we may not have won the flag last year.

A few tackles as a mid-fielder is not enough and does not compensate for being slow, a shocking kick and decision-maker etc.
6 tackles in the first 12min. finished with 9 for the day.

The sort of game middle of the road teams lose, and great teams manage to win.

We had our chances in the last quarter, missed shots from experienced players killed our momentum, sadly I’m looking at Jezz, can’t afford to miss bread and butter shots in the last quarter.

But seriously GWS attacked the ball far more consistently that we did, with no midfield we are just an average commodity at the moment.

I liked what I saw with Mullin and Knevitt, and honestly it’s one of the games I thought “Gee Ceg’s is doing pretty well here”. Blics played a lone hand most of the game through the middle. Miers and Stengle played well I thought. Good to see Stewart find some form. I have liked Ollie Henry’s attack on the ball, kid is fearless in the air, seems to be taking onboard defensive pressure too. We are missing Danger so much it’s palpable.

I’ve got no idea why Parfitt has had two extra games to serve up rubbish, and last night was better than the other two combined and was still ineffectual. Apparently had nine tackles, yet you couldn’t recall one of them. Losing Sav really exposed our defence a bit, geez both Zach’s are struggling this year, maybe no Cam impacts Zuthrie more than we realise.

We are getting smashed with injuries, have a losing record now, have beaten no one of note outside of Adelaide, I think sadly we are a mile off it, I hope we get some players back soon, but I think the season is slipping away.

I’m not totally upset, it’s just when you see the effort shown when the game looks lost in the last quarter, compared to the dross served up for the first three quarters you just have to wonder if complacency has set in.
The difference in effort was noticeable. GWS had that effort for 4 quarters, Geelong finally showed it in the last quarter. GWS always had players running to space and seemed to be able to move it from the kick-in with ease down the wing. How 2 or 3 GWS players could be free without opponents amazed me. I was on a wing and you could see exactly what would happen before it happened. Maybe Geelong's zone (plan A and plan B) had something to do with it. Then players kicking on top of Stengle's head in a one in one with a much taller opponent because no other forwards were moving. Jeremy Cameron playing down on the back flank is not the answer. Going to ground in one on one contests is another problem. It's so frustrating to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back