Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Day has been a star this year in the midfield.

Looking forward - I know it’s been mentioned - it’s clear to me that Sammy’s building him into a Burgoyne-esque utility that can move anywhere needed to help win a game.

As such, I can see him getting some time up forward next year and in 2025 to build his forward craft (I still think he will play mostly as a mid next year to continue to hone his skills he’s developed this year).

A 191cm utility that can be elite in every area of the ground would make him one of the best players in the comp.

Very excited to watch his development over the next few years and to see what Sammy can do with him.
I’ve always thought day would make one of the leagues best chf, just moves so well would be a nightmare matchup for anyone, particularly with a bit more size

Safe to say he had his breakout season. I would be surprised if he didn't exceed most people's expectations playing as a midfielder.

Touches - 25.6
Marks - 5.8
Tackles - 3.5
Clearances - 4.2
I'm sure there were plenty on here who thought he'd be able to make the step up into the midfield this year. I don't think anyone could have predicted just how well and how quickly.

Big off season in the gym ahead of him. Bit more mass and conditioning and he'll be unstoppable.

Safe to say he had his breakout season. I would be surprised if he didn't exceed most people's expectations playing as a midfielder.

Touches - 25.6
Marks - 5.8
Tackles - 3.5
Clearances - 4.2
I didn't see this type of performance coming, I thought he could be a bit part winger not an actual genuine A grade mid

I didn't see this type of performance coming, I thought he could be a bit part winger not an actual genuine A grade mid

Same here.

Next step is for him to hit the scoreboard more, which I believe he can. Maybe he can rest forward more next season and create a mismatch.

Same here.

Next step is for him to hit the scoreboard more, which I believe he can. Maybe he can rest forward more next season and create a mismatch.
If we could sure up our defense then he could use his marking up forward but even as it stands its very handy to have a player that can go back and no he can have that instant stabilising affect

I think so too but it usually takes a few years for the media dickheads to notice our boys.
You said until he was best in the comp. You didn’t say anything about the media rabble actually noticing he was. We could be waiting forever for that! ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he also played a lot less in the midfield in the last three or so matches. Don't have any stats on this, but noticed him a lot more down back and up forward than I had previously.

Thought he also played a lot less in the midfield in the last three or so matches. Don't have any stats on this, but noticed him a lot more down back and up forward than I had previously.

Still contesting a lot of CBAs but seems to be dropping behind the ball.

Last few weeks teams have really targeted Sicily so either trying to free him up or having Will as the spare.

FYI

CBA's vs Freo (out of 26):
20 - Day
20 - Worpel
18 - Nash
17 - Newcombe
3 - Hustwaite

vs Melbourne (out of 26)
22 - Worpel
19 - Day
17 - Nash
10 - Hustwaite
4 - Sicily
4 - Long
2 - Ward

vs Doggies (out of 22):
21 - Nash
16 - Worpel
15 - Newcombe
14 - Day

Exceeded my expectations this year. Knew he was quality from his first game, but was worried that the leg injury might have had lasting effects on his career. He also doesn’t have much pace, but seems to get by with his elusiveness.

FYI

20 - Day
20 - Worpel
18 - Nash
17 - Newcombe
3 - Hustwaite

vs Melbourne (out of 26)
22 - Worpel
19 - Day
17 - Nash
10 - Hustwaite
4 - Sicily
4 - Long
2 - Ward

vs Doggies (out of 22):
21 - Nash
16 - Worpel
15 - Newcombe
14 - Day

Yeah, so still attending CBAs, but I’d be interested in seeing his heat maps. I don’t believe he was following the ball as much as in other games, but I could be wrong!

Exceeded my expectations this year. Knew he was quality from his first game, but was worried that the leg injury might have had lasting effects on his career. He also doesn’t have much pace, but seems to get by with his elusiveness.
Day is pretty quick

'He doesnt have much pace'?
He's got plenty of pace and just needs to develop more core strength and he will be a star of the competition.

Champion Data segment on SEN this afternoon had this little snippet of data: when Will Day attends centre bounces we are 54 ahead in clearance wins, the seventh best result Champion Data has ever recorded for a midfielder.
And to think it’s just his first year in the midfield!

FYI

20 - Day
20 - Worpel
18 - Nash
17 - Newcombe
3 - Hustwaite

vs Melbourne (out of 26)
22 - Worpel
19 - Day
17 - Nash
10 - Hustwaite
4 - Sicily
4 - Long
2 - Ward

vs Doggies (out of 22):
21 - Nash
16 - Worpel
15 - Newcombe
14 - Day
Best thing about this is not seeing Mitchell, T with a bazillion and everyone else with FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back