Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you sure?
I can't find anything that tells me whether they are or not. I have assumed they are, I don't remember seeing them listed elsewhere on the standard stat sheet but they could be on a more in depth sheet though.
They're still a free kick that the umpire awards which is why I have assumed they are.
They 100% aren’t counted on the ledger

There is circumstantial evidence that the Sheffield rules also influenced Australian rules football conceived a couple of years later.[110] The two codes shared the unique feature of lacking the offside rule. There are also similarities in the laws for kicking off, kick outs, throw-ins and the fair catch, with the "behind" displaying some similarities to the rouge.[111] Henry Creswick (possibly a relative of Nathaniel Creswick) was born in Sheffield but emigrated to Australia with his brother in 1840 (the town of Creswick is named after them). He moved to Melbourne in 1854 and became involved in the local cricket scene. He played first class cricket for Victoria during the 1857–1858 season alongside three of the founders of Melbourne Football Club including Tom Wills, the man credited with creating the original rule

Are you sure?
I can't find anything that tells me whether they are or not. I have assumed they are, I don't remember seeing them listed elsewhere on the standard stat sheet but they could be on a more in depth sheet though.
They're still a free kick that the umpire awards which is why I have assumed they are.

Nah definitely not counted. I don’t know where the official rule is but I’ve monitored this before via the official stats app in game and they don’t

Toby Greene is the best player in the game

We he turns up to play in a big final, he'll have my vote too. He's had a few chances already and blown them.

He has played a prelim - one of the most iconically intense prelims of the last 15 years - where he had 18 and 3, 11 of those touches contested.
He’s had 27 and 3 in an elimination final against his side’s arch rivals
He’s had 17 and 3 in another knock out final
He’s had 20 and 3 in an EF, followed by 30 and 2 a week later in a SF.
He’s had 3 goals in an EF against his team’s arch rivals
Even the two ‘bad’ finals he’s played, he had 20-odd touches in a side that got absolutely mauled across the entire field for 3-and-a-half quarters, and 20 in a preliminary final.

The guy has actually made a genuine habit of playing BETTER when everything is on the line, more often than not

He has played a prelim - one of the most iconically intense prelims of the last 15 years - where he had 18 and 3, 11 of those touches contested.
He’s had 27 and 3 in an elimination final against his side’s arch rivals
He’s had 17 and 3 in another knock out final
He’s had 20 and 3 in an EF, followed by 30 and 2 a week later in a SF.
He’s had 3 goals in an EF against his team’s arch rivals
Even the two ‘bad’ finals he’s played, he had 20-odd touches in a side that got absolutely mauled across the entire field for 3-and-a-half quarters, and 20 in a preliminary final.

The guy has actually made a genuine habit of playing BETTER when everything is on the line, more often than not
Well I've only been to see him play in three finals - vs Rich 2017 PF, vs Collingwood 2018 SF, and vs Richmond 2019 GF, and he's been virtually invisible in all three. I don't think I even saw him kick a goal in any of those three knock-out finals. Just going by what I've personally witnessed though.

I'll be there this Saturday arvo though, so I hope he turns it on. In fact I hope he wins a Norm Smith because it will at least be entertaining for us impartials.

Well I've only been to see him play in three finals - vs Rich 2017 PF, vs Collingwood 2018 SF, and vs Richmond 2019 GF, and he's been virtually invisible in all three. I don't think I even saw him kick a goal in any of those three knock-out finals. Just going by what I've personally witnessed though.

I'll be there this Saturday arvo though, so I hope he turns it on. In fact I hope he wins a Norm Smith because it will at least be entertaining for us impartials.

In 2017 he had 19 disposals and 6 score involvements.

In 2019 he had 23 disposals and 4 score involvements.

Now that’s probably still quiet by his standards but hardly invisible as you said.

So he’s basically had 1 poor game, a couple average ones and a bunch of other stand out performances but you’re labelling him as someone who doesn’t turn up in big finals?

In 2017 he had 19 disposals and 6 score involvements.

In 2019 he had 23 disposals and 4 score involvements.

Now that’s probably still quiet by his standards but hardly invisible as you said.

So he’s basically had 1 poor game, a couple average ones and a bunch of other stand out performances but you’re labelling him as someone who doesn’t turn up in big finals?
Yeah not preposterously bad, but hardly the sort of numbers you want the best player currently in the league putting up in the club's most important game of the season.

For the record Jason Castagna had 18/6 and 20/7 in those two games and many are quick to acknowledge how limited he was as footballer.

And don't forget he got himself suspended twice in finals - one week in 2019 missing the PF, and then 3 weeks in 2021 causing him to miss the losing SF the following week. Not great.

It's Toby time over these next few weeks, or he's disqualified from the conversation imo.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know how you feel.
It's a bit like Geelong fans who never really saw Lance Franklin do much at all against us during the prime years of his career.
But will always admit greatness when we see it.

Toby has probably played his two worst finals against Richmond. Although, the 2019 grand final is blown out of proportion as GWS were soundly beaten on that day.
He moved into the middle just so he could get his hands on the footy given how one sided it was for half the match.

This is going to be wildly unpopular but I would get rid of the push in the back rule except for marking contests. Too many cases now where the player being tackled drives themselves forward to the ground and the tackler gets pinned for falling on top due to momentum. Not to mention the number of times a player is chasing to tackle, lunges in an effort to disrupt a kick and gets pinned for pushing. Our sport should be encouraging those types of efforts not penalising players for them.

Last edited:
Apologies to all the football sophisticated, but the amount of time I see teams just bash it forward without thinking because the game is that simple and then just watch dickhead commentators try and pass it off as some sort of nuclear science. No , sorry, they are just bashing it forward and hoping for the best.
Not rocket science.

This is going to be wildly unpopular but I would get rid of the push in the back rule except for marking contests. Too many cases now where the player being tackled drives themselves forward to the ground and the tackler gets pinned for falling on top due to momentum. Not to mention the number of times a player is chasing to tackle, lunges in an effort to disrupt a kick and gets pinned for pushing. Our sport should be encouraging those types of efforts not penalising players for them.
Totally agree. Those instances where a tackler has wrapped up the ball carrier and they both fall forward should never be push in the back.

Barring an outright charge, "pushing in the back" should only be paid when it's done by the offender's hands.

Another one I hate is when the ball carrier's teammate comes in and tackles the tackler to lock the ball in. Should be a holding the man free kick to the original tackler, because he clearly is not in possession of the footy.

I have no respect for Umpires.
I think the concept of the umpires round is asinine.

I think the PS game AFL23 should have a hidden level where you get to gun down umpires COD style.

The St.Kilda vs GWS elimination final was a better game of footy and far more entertaining than the Melbourne vs Collingwood Qualifying final.

It also proved my point that 'blockbusters' are overrated. If you're a footy fan, you made sure you watched both.

What we saw after quarter time on Thursday night were two teams who let the occasion affect them negatively. As a game it was an absolute chore to sit through with skill errors and horrible decision making plaguing the contest.

Last edited:
Brian Lake and Frawley too.
So a player who gets drafted to a terrible club that struggle to build a strong list are less deserving of a premiership then a player who happens to get drafted by a better club? Strongly disagree.

Yeah not preposterously bad, but hardly the sort of numbers you want the best player currently in the league putting up in the club's most important game of the season.

For the record Jason Castagna had 18/6 and 20/7 in those two games and many are quick to acknowledge how limited he was as footballer.

And don't forget he got himself suspended twice in finals - one week in 2019 missing the PF, and then 3 weeks in 2021 causing him to miss the losing SF the following week. Not great.

It's Toby time over these next few weeks, or he's disqualified from the conversation imo.
Terrible terrible terrible take.

Is Dustin Martin not a good finals player because of 22 EF, 18 Prelim final, 20 QF?

Of course not, Toby has played plenty of very very good finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back