Training Training Reports and Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Instead of being on the back foot and focusing on the negatives of billy ie he doesn’t have mcstay’s forward nous, what are the positives, how can we use him effectively.

I look at the big O last week and he looks banged up, couldn’t get off the ground in the last. Now say we use our 3 ruck options to rotate between forward and ruck, and really work the big O over, maybe we get a midfield ascendancy.

So maybe we loose a bit up forward but gain more in the middle. Maybe I’m being a tad glass half full.
yep exactly right.

Frampton forward means he can also take the I50 ruck-contests against O with Cox/Cameron a kick behind the ball to prevent /intercept the outlet kicks.

A 3-way Cox-Cam-Fram all out assault on O to bang him up and run him into the ground would also appeal.

In the event O is hampered means Daniher has to spend more time in the ruck which starts to weaken their forward structure.

yep exactly right.

Frampton forward means he can also take the I50 ruck-contests against O with Cox/Cameron a kick behind the ball to prevent /intercept the outlet kicks.

A 3-way Cox-Cam-Fram all out assault on O to bang him up and run him into the ground would also appeal.

In the event O is hampered means Daniher has to spend more time in the ruck which starts to weaken their forward structure.
If Cam Fram sticks, I'm going to hunt you down.

Dan's lost his mantle. It's why he resigned.
I just heard on the radio that he is resigning. I also think much of his obsession with safety has been adopted by the club, hence our apparent decision to play Frampton as a key forward instead of a chancier selection who might actually win us the game.

I just heard on the radio that he is resigning. I also think much of his obsession with safety has been adopted by the club, hence our apparent decision to play Frampton as a key forward instead of a chancier selection who might actually win us the game.
I actually think we've gone the riskier move. You know Freddy would compete but Frampton could be a lost stunned mullet. But he's also more likely to win us the game by clunking a few big marks in the hotspot.

I actually think we've gone the riskier move. You know Freddy would compete but Frampton could be a lost stunned mullet. But he's also more likely to win us the game by clunking a few big marks in the hotspot.
I don’t think anything is riskier than play Krueger. The fact he has an incredible talent for getting injured in almost every game he plays, in addition to the fact the haphazard way he goes about his footy could take out a teammate. It’s a hard no for me

Has this selection actually been confirmed?

Has this selection actually been confirmed?
No. They better though as I'm sick of thinking about it and have worked my arse off to convince myself that it's a good idea. So it's Frampton for me, unless Blair comes out of retirement and we decide to utilise his leading patterns to cut the Bears to shreds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can those saying frampton should not be selected be so sure going small is better. When have we gone smaller

Not sure it's the right option but I wonder if they are considering Frampton as a sub. The main argument I've heard against going small is around what happens if you lose a tall early. That would solve that problem, and you can maintain structure.

I don’t think anything is riskier than play Krueger. The fact he has an incredible talent for getting injured in almost every game he plays, in addition to the fact the haphazard way he goes about his footy could take out a teammate. It’s a hard no for me
I don’t think even the bigger Kreuger fans would disagree that picking him is the riskier move.

Maybe some of us just think that the risk is worth it

If they opt for the safer more insurance friendly option of frampton then I’ll back them as always . But he’s not a forward. Maybe he splits his time between forward ruck and bench to allow Cox especially to be the main forward target alongside mihocek . Not sure I love that idea but it’s better than frampton playing defence and Howe forward.

Not sure it's the right option but I wonder if they are considering Frampton as a sub. The main argument I've heard against going small is around what happens if you lose a tall early. That would solve that problem, and you can maintain structure.
Wouldn’t be opposed especially a mobile versatile tall . Not bad.

In the days of a sub, I think it's riskier to play a bloke who might be useless for two and a half quarters than someone who might get injured during that time

I don't buy the whole 'Frampton isn't a forward' thing. Can you mark? can you kick 40+ metres? Yes? then you are capable of being a forward option. Sure you're not going to be a Tony Lockett out there but it really is that simple. From 9 shots at goal this year he's kicked 7 of them with 2 behinds which is more than accurate enough.

the main argument against going small is you get obliterated in the air, the opposition defence intercepts everything and the ball never hits the ground to give your small/medium forwards a chance to score.

the heat around scrimmage /stoppage will be intense, especially early on and maybe across the entire 4Q's. this means a heap of indiscriminate / hack kicks forward without the time or space to thread the needle ..big bodies to compete against big bodies and halve contests will be the baseline.

if we were looking to bring in cyril rioli at his peak as the small (vs a tall) then it'd be a closer run thing ..unfortunately, cyril retired some time ago

I don't buy the whole 'Frampton isn't a forward' thing. Can you mark? can you kick 40+ metres? Yes? then you are capable of being a forward option. Sure you're not going to be a Tony Lockett out there but it really is that simple. From 9 shots at goal this year he's kicked 7 of them with 2 behinds which is more than accurate enough.
frampton has played his entire senior career as a tall forward (pinch hit ruck) until early last year when Adel decided to try him as a key back.

kreuger has played his entire senior career (geelong vfl) as a tall defender until he arrived at the pies in 2022. since then he's played 5 senior games (2022) and 2 senior games (2023) as a tall forward.

we can argue the toss of performance / output / capability etc of the two of them but ..

Last edited:
frampton has played his entire senior career as a tall forward (pinch hit ruck) until early last year when Adel decided to try him as a key back.

kreuger has played his entire senior career (geelong vfl) as a tall defender until he arrived at the pies in 2022. since then he's played 5 senior games (2022) and 2 senior games (2023) as a tall forward.

we can argue the toss of performance / output / capability etc of the two of them but ..
Where they played seniors at their previous club is irrelevant now. At vfl level this year Kreuger is the better performed forward, especially over the past few months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back