• 44. Seth Campbell

Votes: 77 62.6%
  • 45. Tylar Young

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50. Marlion Pickett

Votes: 35 28.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why play him….is it because he’s been a great servant of our club?
It has to be. His form this season is looking no different from the last two seasons. He's like a deer in the headlights with ball in hand and has lost all composure. Look at the dumb frees and 50s he's given away over the last couple of seasons. He's done.

wtf was wrong with Taranto last night?
14 possessions 9 of which were turnovers

Absolutely putrid
seriously, when has taranto ever used the ball well ?
I'm really frustrated, and he won the BF for gods sake. if he was any good he wouldn't have got traded.

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET IT?

If that’s his standard disposal then he McAuliffe should replace him instantly
I think McAuliffe will come in (and stay in) soon enough, not at the expense of our bnf winner. Prestia should be moved to a half forward flank IMO.

Dusty, Taranto, Hopper and McAuliffe is a much better mix of speed, ball winning ability and skill.

Grimes was trying to milk the 50 and then he shoves a Suns player in the throat and shoves him down right in front of the umpires, that's always going to get paid against him and frankly was quite s**t by a leader of the side who should know better.
He is now a liability. If Lynch is fit I'd rather Grimes is dropped and Balta moved back to defence.

He is now a liability. If Lynch is fit I'd rather Grimes is dropped and Balta moved back to defence.
We looked the most dangerous last night when Balta was moved into the ruck and still played a forward role but higher up the ground

Need to stay as a ruck forward like Luke Jackson

It has to be. His form this season is looking no different from the last two seasons. He's like a deer in the headlights with ball in hand and has lost all composure. Look at the dumb frees and 50s he's given away over the last couple of seasons. He's done.
He's completely cooked. Unfortunately that means there's more pressure being placed on our young defenders, as they don't have that solid support/leadership we used to have. I used to love watching our defense from behind the goals,and you could see the guys knowing what each other was doing, and covered for each other. Now there's no real leadership down there.

Agree with that. when we need a spark in the middle Balta going into the ruck will help too.
Balta should play as a high forward with the majority of time between the arcs. If he does he’ll be All Australian and we’ll play finals .
If he doesn’t he’ll have another meh year and if a tall doesn’t play that role we’ll be bottom 3 -4

Last edited:
Same problems we saw last year and finished 13th. Older players are getting worse and younger ones can’t/wont improve fast enough to compensate. Hence bottom 6 finish likely.
Plus it looks like Yze feels obligated to rotate TT, Hopper, Prestia,Dow/Graham through midfield. They are ok in close but problem is their first few metres especially and once ball gets outside the immediate centre circle/clearance congestion they cannot run with their opponents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are hard on Ryan. Kid is about 3 years away from being an awesome ruck.
Totally agree...I remember when English was rucking for the Doggies and thought...nope...nix...nada...zilch...not going to make it!
But over time he has come good!

What decisions did they get that we didn't?
Gold Coast got away with about 4 head high ducks, we got away with one (hopper goal) Cambell got a lucky one too.

Rowell used his head as a battering ram this is great play and destroyed us....but also borderline dangerous to himself and the opposition. 4 free kicks for his red headed neck plowing attack on the ball. hopper got 3 as well so can't complain too much

Cuns got away with at least half a dozen 10 to 12m little chip kicks we got away with about two.

King got a soft free kick and was paid a mark when the ball was spilled,

broad should have got the benefit of the doubt although I suppose that was a 50/50 as broad played it too casual and cocky

Grimes dived and was told off/ignored, yet his opponent dived and rewarded it cost us a goal.
O'Gorman appeared sexually excited when he was dishing out the 50m penalty

easily 5 or 6 times Gold Coast hung onto the ball for too long and we were not rewarded....although we may have got away with a couple of these ourselves

whinge over :p

Last edited:
We looked the most dangerous last night when Balta was moved into the ruck and still played a forward role but higher up the ground

Need to stay as a ruck forward like Luke Jackson
I agree with Balta as second ruck, but we still need someone else in defence. Maybe Miller because Young and Gibcus need support. Broad's looking only a little better than Grimes too. Maybe Brown to play back there if Broad can play taller. I'd put Baker in the back half too and play Short on a wing.

Which means if Balta plays second ruck then Kosi has to stay in because Naismith can't play as a forward.

Out: Grimes, Ryan, Prestia, Dow, McIntosh, Naismith.
In: Lynch, Nankervis, McAullife, Ross, Martin, Brown.

B: Broad Young Vlastuin
HB: Baker Gibcus D.Rioli
C: Short Ross Banks
HF: Taranto Balta Martin
F: Campbell Lynch M.Rioli
Foll: Nankervis Hopper Bolton
I/C: McAullife, Brown, Banks, Kosi
Sub: Pickett

Something like that. Or Balta to the backline and Cumberland in instead of Brown. Ideally I'd bring them both in but that's not going to happen.

Totally agree...I remember when English was rucking for the Doggies and thought...nope...nix...nada...zilch...not going to make it!
But over time he has come good!
English looked better than Ryan at the same stage.

I agree with Balta as second ruck, but we still need someone else in defence. Maybe Miller because Young and Gibcus need support. Broad's looking only a little better than Grimes too. Maybe Brown to play back there if Broad can play taller. I'd put Baker in the back half too and play Short on a wing.

Which means if Balta plays second ruck then Kosi has to stay in because Naismith can't play as a forward.

Out: Grimes, Ryan, Prestia, Dow, McIntosh, Naismith.
In: Lynch, Nankervis, McAullife, Ross, Martin, Brown.

B: Broad Young Vlastuin
HB: Baker Gibcus D.Rioli
C: Short Ross Banks
HF: Taranto Balta Martin
F: Campbell Lynch M.Rioli
Foll: Nankervis Hopper Bolton
I/C: McAullife, Brown, Banks, Kosi
Sub: Pickett

Something like that. Or Balta to the backline and Cumberland in instead of Brown. Ideally I'd bring them both in but that's not going to happen.
Think it’s too early to write some of the older guys off especially Broad who we know can preform a lot better

They had to work a Tripple shift with the amount of ball they copped due to our midfield being asleep at the wheel

Graham is too slow. More of the same. Try anyone with pace. Mcauliffe looks like he's also got grunt
I'm not saying bring Graham in I'm saying we missed a defensive mid. Or a mid that will actually tackle and apply pressure. Saying McAuliffe needs to come in, not Graham

Think it’s too early to write some of the older guys off especially Broad who we know can preform a lot better

They had to work a Tripple shift with the amount of ball they copped due to our midfield being asleep at the wheel
I agree with Broad (he still needs to improve), but I honestly believe Grimes is done.

Last edited:
At 32 Dusty isnt his old self and hasn't been for 2-3 years. He will add to the team but not a heap.

Lynch coming off a 12 month injury. He's 31 and toss a coin whether he is the gun Lynch or a player who has lost speed, spring, or may get injured again.

Nank - 30yo this year and, he will add a bit. However he is very slow through the middle which will expose us further in this area.
We need to balance it by introducing kids in other areas. No kids getting a game ahead of those 3 currently but Grimes could easily make way for Brown or Tresize, Prestia isn't commanding his spot anymore, throw in Kane or Sonz. We've got to get games into these kids.

I agree with Broad (he'dstill need to improve), but I honestly believe Grimes is done.
I thought Grimes was ok
Not good by any means but I don’t really think we have any other options right now

Brown and Trez are more interceptors and distributors compared to Grimes who is more of a stopper imo

It’s something our list lacks in terms of kids and will need to be rectified this upcoming off season

Back