List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope I’m completely wrong but my gut feel tells me he won’t stick around, WA Media have ambushed him from day one relentlessly. Never seen anything like it and it’s borderline harassment.
Well he will be harrased in Melbourne city and wherever he goes.

A change in club will not do jack shit

It would be nothing like what it is atm, no player has been harassed down here the way Harley has over there. Greats like Ablett jnr and Buddy didn’t even get half the coverage Harley has

What's harrassment is fans coming up and all the greats have dealt with that. Buddy walking down Melbourne city etc.

In terms of media coverage harrassment I don't think it even moves the needle for him. A couple of article on him praising him or giving updates I don't think is getting to him more than above harrassment

A change in club will not do jack s**t
This is correct. He'll get targeted wherever he is. The Melbourne media were all over him a week or two ago. AFL insta/X even renamed their bio as the Harley Reid fan page.

A change in club will not do jack s**t

This is correct. He'll get targeted wherever he is. The Melbourne media were all over him a week or two ago. AFL insta/X even renamed their bio as the Harley Reid fan page.

He was literally just in Melbourne. There was no door stop at the airport. No one trying to take pictures of him, no invasive media, no back pages dedicated to his every move, no matter how boring.

In Victoria he’s just one of 500 footballers.

The media attention on Harley is unprecedented and is uniquely a WA thing.

A footy mad state where 60-70% of the state supports one club doesn’t happen anywhere else.

I tend to think Harley likes it, but it’s probably also tiresome. He’s made a few comments that it sometimes gets a bit much and he just wants to go about his normal day.

He was literally just in Melbourne. There was no door stop at the airport. No one trying to take pictures of him, no invasive media, no back pages dedicated to his every move, no matter how boring.

In Victoria he’s just one of 500 footballers.

The media attention on Harley is unprecedented and is uniquely a WA thing.

A footy mad state where 60-70% of the state supports one club doesn’t happen anywhere else.

I tend to think Harley likes it, but it’s probably also tiresome. He’s made a few comments that it sometimes gets a bit much and he just wants to go about his normal day.
I do admit the The West is over-the-top. Hopefully that will settle down in time.

However, the Melbourne media we all over him a week ago - and that did surprise me at the time.

Reminds me of planters like Buddy, who moved to Sydney to escape the pressure.

I do admit the The West is over-the-top. Hopefully that will settle down in time.

However, the Melbourne media we all over him a week ago - and that did surprise me at the time.

Reminds me of planters like Buddy, who moved to Sydney to escape the pressure.

As someone who is in Melbourne but grew up in Perth I can tell you that the fishbowl in Perth is far more intense than what it is in Melbourne.

A two team town with a dominant team vs a 10 team state where coverage is scattered across clubs. Not to mention that Melbourne has two papers and WA just the one - and a paper that seems intent on making itself a UK style tabloid at that.

Melbourne is far, far more relaxed when it comes to well known figures than what Perth is. I live close to where Richmind, Collingwood and Melbourne all train and I can tell you that seeing footballers is just something that happens.

Remember the Bailey Smith mania in Perth? There is none of that here.

The coverage Harley did get in VIC was primarily AFL elevating him to promote their product, and AFL media covering him from a football perspective, that’s not what is happening in WA.

WA poses unique challenges. Clearly the club is aware of it, as Simmo has spoken about it multiple times in relation to Harley.

I’m not sure what impact that would have on Harley, and if it would factor into to his decision whether to stay or go, but I do think we need to be a bit honest, the treatment and intensity of coverage Harley gets in Perth is unique.

It would be nothing like what it is atm, no player has been harassed down here the way Harley has over there. Greats like Ablett jnr and Buddy didn’t even get half the coverage Harley has

Maybe not the best examples as both moved North to escape the Victorian fishbowl

I am sure if and when we start playing more consistently and get more wins on the board as a collective with other players pitching in and doing more of the heavy lifting the Harley Reid mania will abate a bit.
Need Oallen to come back and start kicking goals like Waterman. Even if Hewett gets back and has some good games it may take a bit of focus away.
Unfortunately at the moment he and Yeo are the only real standouts at the moment so all the attention lands on him.

I hope I’m completely wrong but my gut feel tells me he won’t stick around, WA Media have ambushed him from day one relentlessly. Never seen anything like it and it’s borderline harassment.
What could seriously be done to stop it? The Worst wouldn't take notice, they'd love it I guess, as its more about clicks than content now, but geez it'd be good to get a large contingent of likeminded supporters to write a strongly worded email to that outlet pleading to stop the harassment of a teenager! At least then if it got legs HR9 would realise this isnt what Eagles fans are about, it's that poxy paper!

What could seriously be done to stop it? The Worst wouldn't take notice, they'd love it I guess, as its more about clicks than content now, but geez it'd be good to get a large contingent of likeminded supporters to write a strongly worded email to that outlet pleading to stop the harassment of a teenager! At least then if it got legs HR9 would realise this isnt what Eagles fans are about, it's that poxy paper!

The editor of The Worst somehow comes up on my X feed - he comes across as an immature t#@t when people comment on his posts about the back page of the paper……he needs to be pulled into line…..it is like stalking and bullying of HR9…… The Worst called me last week to see if I wanted a subscription or paper delivery…..like hell no…..you lost all credibility years ago to be called a “news” paper…..

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably for the leagal heads who float about here, but is there anything Harley Reid/WCE could do to stop the West doing as they are?

I could see that blowing up in our face pretty quickly. Would make more sense to offer them some exclusive access to Harley and his buddies in exchange for less back page garbage.

We're at an awkward stage of our relationship with the media too. Coming from being a closed door club so The West create their own narrative, to now wanting to open our doors a bit, but perhaps control the narrative, while The West are treating us like it's 2-3 years ago.

When the west starts posting mean stuff then you go off.

There's no point getting salty at west for writing praising articles.

Save the ammo when Vic media or them get vicious.

Don't want a boy who cried wolf scenario

I'm sorry.

A rumour about reid which originated from a poster called flagmantle on Facebook.

And we are reacting to it.

How is that different from me saying Nat Fyfe cheated on his wife on Facebook under my account Fremantle sucks?

Somethinf so stupid shouldn't even be up for discussion and Harley would be having a chuckle

This whole thing is a storm in the teacup. How is that Facebook post different from bigfooty rumours?

But I hope to god Harley or anyone at wce and journos do not respond to it. Scum rumours shouldn't be raised and sweeped under the rug.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back