• Noah Balta

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Aiden Bonar

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What does it say? Paywalled.

AFL CLUBS have been urged not to overlook one of the country’s hottest draft prospects because of the recent revelation he has a heart condition.

Ferntree Gully boy Jaidyn Stephenson’s manager said medical experts had cleared the line-breaking midfielder fit to be taken in next Friday’s AFL draft.

The Eastern Ranges star has long been considered a top-10 selection with North Melbourne (pick No.4), Fremantle (No.5), Collingwood (No.6) and St Kilda (No.7 and 8) circling.

While Stephenson, 18, could still be taken with a prized selection, his draft ranking is suddenly unclear.

Stephenson was best-afield in the AFL Grand Final curtain-raiser and booted five goals from 28 disposals as Vic Metro smashed South Australia on Etihad Stadium this year.

The speedster’s manager, Robbie D’Orazio, said he was at “no more risk than any other player” in this year’s draft.

“We’ve left this to the medical experts, and the doctors that Jaidyn’s been working with on this have said there is no issue,” D’Orazio said.

“Whatever club picks Jaidyn will have a player that will play for a long time. He’s an outstanding character and winner of the AFL Life Members Scholarship.

“The clubs that don’t pick him because of this will regret it, because he’s going to play for a long time.”

Champion Data ranks the X-factor player No.3 in this year’s draft, ahead of dux fancies Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paddy Dow.

The young leader excelled at draft combine testing last month and impressed the Kangaroos when he trained at Arden St earlier this year.

The Herald Sun knows of clubs that will now pass on Stephenson. They deem the potential emotional and liability risks too great.

“It’s serious,” one chief recruiter said.

“We haven’t made a final call, but it’s a big worry. But every club will view it differently, and that’s important. It’s certainly very well-known.”

Stephenson has been reviewed by multiple cardiologists. Some reports have been sent to the AFL under standard draft protocols.

Most clubs learned about Stephenson’s heart issue in early October.

Stephenson finished his Year 12 exams on Tuesday and will now recommence meeting with AFL clubs.

Stephenson averaged 30 disposals in the last five TAC Cup games and averaged 117 SuperCoach points for Eastern this year.

The only question is do we take him at #2 or #5.

I like that the heart condition gets brought up on BigFooty yesterday. And then today both the Herald Sun and AFL website have articles about it. They need some new sources.

No risk no reward , even I not a fan of Stephenson think at 5 is a calculating risk .
How much will he slide, though? Balic was rated as top ten and slid into the 30s.

Having said that, I don't think we should use our early picks on him. Our history of drafting kids with known injury histories, let alone the unknown ones, haven't really worked out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever happened to the draft where the supposed top half dozen did not have a recent injury cloud/medical issue hanging over them?

Dow shoulder, LDU knee and shoulder, Rayner knee, Cerra knee and shoulder, Fogarty knee, Stephenson heart murmer (unconfirmed by AFL). Edit now AFL confirmed

Brayshaw may well have moved up the ranks

Last edited:
Whatever happened to the draft where the supposed top half dozen did not have a recent injury cloud/medical issue hanging over them?

Dow shoulder, LDU knee and shoulder, Rayner knee, Cerra knee and shoulder, Fogarty knee, Stephenson heart murmer (unconfirmed by AFL).

Consider it confirmed

Jaidyn Stephenson cleared for AFL career after heart irregularity
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-14/top-prospect-no-risk-despite-medical-irregularity

Dow shoulder, LDU knee and shoulder, Rayner knee, Cerra knee and shoulder, Fogarty knee, Stephenson heart murmer (unconfirmed by AFL). Edit now AFL confirmed

They just don't make them like they used to. "Back in my day players were made of iron and steel. Now they are just mass produced on the cheap."

The poster that broke the story on the North and Collingwood boards re heart condition also seems very confident North were still going to select him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d be ok with this. As much as I like his flair, I think the mids we take should be one or both of the following two types:
1) Bull.
2) Class act.

That is all.

How much will he slide, though? Balic was rated as top ten and slid into the 30s.

Having said that, I don't think we should use our early picks on him. Our history of drafting kids with known injury histories, let alone the unknown ones, haven't really worked out.

Who knows how far Balic would've slid if we didn't blindly jump in? Stephenson at 42? I doubt it, we're much more careful these days.

They may think he could be genetically inclined to suffer concussions easily. (I don’t know if that’s possible)

Back