Why do we have to play a home game at etihad?

Remove this Banner Ad

King Cotch

Debutant
Sep 7, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Why do we still have to play a home game at Etihad each year?

I assumed in the past it was because a quota for how many games had to be played there each year under the contract they had with the developers and ownership group that was in charge, meaning the non-tenants had to play a few there each year to reach it.

But with the AFL purchasing etihad early either this year or last year, why do we still have to play any home games there?

Why do we still have to play a home game at Etihad each year?

I assumed in the past it was because a quota for how many games had to be played there each year under the contract they had with the developers and ownership group that was in charge, meaning the non-tenants had to play a few there each year to reach it.

But with the AFL purchasing etihad early either this year or last year, why do we still have to play any home games there?

Because AFL! Go there, win and move on.

I was always of the understanding that the old Etihad contract terms meant we had to play a home game at Etihad. Fine, whatever, we DO always get Carlton and Essendon at the G.

I’d like to know why this is still happening, since the AFL now owns Etihad. Is it to reduce wear on the G?

I’d also like to know why they scheduled it for a Sydney game. Last year it was a game between two kind of middle of the road sides (at that stage of the year), on a Saturday arvo, and it drew 58k. Who in their right mind thought Etihad was a good place for a game like that? It was ALWAYS a high probability that both sides would be contending, and it would be a huge clash worthy of blockbuster billing. Friday night, 70k+, TV ratings lock. No, now it’s on a shitty Thursday night at Etihad, will draw 40-45k absolute maximum.

Rant over

All vic clubs have to play home games at more than one venue, it's just the way it is.

Saint Kilda have all their home games at Etihad. Guess Gil hoped nobody would notice.

Don’t we give it to Geelong supporters for complaining about this exact thing?

Geez never thought I’d see double standard on this board ;)

I was more looking to see if anyone knew if there was an actual reasoning behind it, more than complaining.

I was more looking to see if anyone knew if there was an actual reasoning behind it, more than complaining.

Yes, because the AFL own it, and they want the joint making coin.

Personally I'm expecting more 40+ games to be scheduled at Etihad over the g.moving forward,.so.id get used to it

Don’t we give it to Geelong supporters for complaining about this exact thing?

Geez never thought I’d see double standard on this board ;)

The Geelong game is moved to the G because their home ground is too small for all the supporters who want to attend (even in the shittiest weather).

Having #1 Tigers versus #3 Swans (which could have been predicted at time of fixtuting) to Etihad...where is the logic?

The Geelong game is moved to the G because their home ground is too small for all the supporters who want to attend (even in the shittiest weather).

Having #1 Tigers versus #3 Swans (which could have been predicted at time of fixtuting) to Etihad...where is the logic?

On a Thursday night the 53k capacity of Etihad would be a great crowd - packed ethiad vs half full G?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree - weather was woeful leading up to that game too
How are you supposed to predict the weather when thwe fixture is released let alone the day before? I don't think that should even be part of the argument.

I’d say it’s 60k at the ‘G about 40k at Etihad based on past experience.

Weather dependent of course

My point is that if we can’t fill ethiad we wouldn’t get the same number at the G anyway which would mean the G would be less than half full

Surely we can turn up for a top 4 clash regardless of a trip across town
The fact it's a 7:20 start makes a massive difference to people turning up, i myself will be pushing s**t uphill just to get there on time, if it was at the MCG or even Etihad on a friday night with a 7:50 start i make it easily. That 30 minutes is a huge factor, AFL have not used their brains here and it will be shown why thursday night football in the middle of winter is a terrible idea with school and work the next day when Bugs Bunny Stadium is half full.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back