Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was pretty rough when Short got dropped for Broad towards the end of last year, and thought he was our bottom player in that final stretch of games.

He's been good in 2018 though. Not as good as Short but then not many have been!

No player is very lucky to have played in a premiership. That’s disrespectful and wash your tongue out with soap stuff imo , considering we had to wait 37 years for one.
Broad earned his spot bc he’s a straight line player who absolutely settles for no nonsense. He’s hard to budge and reads the play immaculately and covers ground and space nonchalantly. He’s the type of bloke you want in finals bc he can shut down small to medium tall opponents and is strong at contests aerially or on ground. He hurts people and is more flexible than people make him out to be. Short was stiff missing and like the champion bloke I’m told he is , he has fought back to earn his spot . Completely different player to Broad and shouldn’t be compared to him imo. Short is a metres gained player ( as much as I hate that terminology) and likes to roll out on the outside like a champion pacer in the one out one back position and then burns you if allowed room to get out and move. He’s a different form of weapon to Broad which we are utilising in 2018 as a point of difference.
Since we’re discussing salaries then I reckon he’s worth $300k which is about the average from all the numbers dished up around here.

Not from me, Broad was great, and is a defender first which is what we needed.
No player is very lucky to have played in a premiership. That’s disrespectful and wash your tongue out with soap stuff imo , considering we had to wait 37 years for one.
Broad earned his spot bc he’s a straight line player who absolutely settles for no nonsense. He’s hard to budge and reads the play immaculately and covers ground and space nonchalantly. He’s the type of bloke you want in finals bc he can shut down small to medium tall opponents and is strong at contests aerially or on ground. He hurts people and is more flexible than people make him out to be. Short was stiff missing and like the champion bloke I’m told he is , he has fought back to earn his spot . Completely different player to Broad and shouldn’t be compared to him imo. Short is a metres gained player ( as much as I hate that terminology) and likes to roll out on the outside like a champion pacer in the one out one back position and then burns you if allowed room to get out and move. He’s a different form of weapon to Broad which we are utilising in 2018 as a point of difference.
Since we’re discussing salaries then I reckon he’s worth $300k which is about the average from all the numbers dished up around here.
Spot on...

Well said TI broad was supreme throughout final series make no mistake about it and I’m hoping what I saw on Thursday night was a return to that kinda touch , spot on too , nothing like short who is much more like Houli

Would not be suprised if Broady has a license to fly the flag aggressively when the oppo rough up our players...taking the heat and possibilty of suspension away from the likes of our guns in Rance/Grimes/Houli/Short/Floss to do anything stupid in retaliation...he flew the flag often against PA..

Broad is extremely underrated by alot of people both here and on the opposition boards
As mentioned by TI he has the ability to play small and tall and gives us so much flexability as well as being a tuff strong bugger , I have seen him smashed in contests and doesnt miss a beat and keeps getting up and back to his job.

Short is a very different player to Broad and adds a different dimension but is more like Houli but i have always thought he will be more like Rory Laird and is getting there.

So far going well just needs to sign the bloody contract

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love shorty, one of my favourite players from very early on. Quick, clean, rarely makes bad choices and can kick it a mile..

There is so much argument in this thread, but a few have called it out, He is a 300-350k player, Houli probably has another 2 years in him, so we need to lee short for the longer term. If we need to go higher make It a longer contract instead, not like he is going to go backwards in form when he hits his peak at 24-26.

We have plenty of players (Hampson, Grigg, Miles, Lloyd) to cut/trade who would be on decent money and add much less to our setup than short and also have much less upside.

Make it happen Balmey..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with above re Broad and Short. Different types of players and we are really lucky to have both of them. They both share the quality I value most in any player - decision making. Short is a more skilful player and flashy which gets noticed more, but I’ve been incredibly impressed with Broad and his effectiveness. He just rarely misses a target or makes mistakes. It’s a quality that, to me, makes him hugely underrated. He’s not flashy - but he is just so reliable!

Agree with above re Broad and Short. Different types of players and we are really lucky to have both of them. They both share the quality I value most in any player - decision making. Short is a more skilful player and flashy which gets noticed more, but I’ve been incredibly impressed with Broad and his effectiveness. He just rarely misses a target or makes mistakes. It’s a quality that, to me, makes him hugely underrated. He’s not flashy - but he is just so reliable!

I agree with that Broad has improved on last season to.As you said isn't flashy or get the media hype, but you know his going to do the job for you and give you 120 %.What I love about him to is he is versatile can play anywhere I reckon good height and endurance.

Very very good article and the best part of it which i believe is the most important part is that Short is good but he can only be as good as he is because the Richmond backline is so dominant and as he mentioned when he does stuff up the boys are there to mop it up and knows they will. Its a massive thing to your confidence to know this is the case and allows you to be more daring with your run and carry.

Hope he signs soon as i would hate to lose him but he is not the most important piece in the puzzle so needs to accept this when he is asked to take slight unders to what he 'may' think he deserves - He is not playing the hardest position on the ground and as we seen with JJ from the doggies if your backline is not as strong you get exposed.

Hope both Shai Bolton & Jayden Short sign soon as they are great to watch

Where did you get this nonsense from? His direct opponent Ben Ronke kicked the first two goals of the game last week.

Except that vlastuin was manning ronke on both occasions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back