List Mgmt. Draft Needs 2018 : Rankine/Lukosius/Rozee/Hately etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is a can't miss:

Jacob Weitering:
"Weitering is so ready for the AFL that he would have played 20 games in most senior teams this season had he been allowed. Clubs see him as a future captain, and it won't take long for him to graduate to his new team's leadership group. He's an ultra-competitive, professional and determined prospect ready to play."

Josh Schache:
"Goalkickers don't come along often, especially when they're as tall, athletic and prolific as Schache at underage level. Schache only needs a handful of opportunities to make his presence felt on a game. His all-round forward craft is better than anyone in the draft and he has all the tools to be a powerful key forward"

Paddy McCartin:
"He marks, he kicks goals and he does it every week.
McCartin is the most standout key forward of this year's draft crop, and this is why: he times his leads nicely, he competes like mad, he's tough, aggressive and makes people question whether to stand in front of him."

Tom Boyd:
"Boyd kicks straight, dominates games and wants to be very, very good. If not him? Nobody else. He's a Giant."

Heck try:
James Aish:
"Aish is composed beyond his experience, and has the footy smarts of all the best players. Beyond those immeasurable qualities are more obvious ones: he can find the ball, take the game on with it, and can use it. At the mid-year under-18 championships Aish had the best kicking efficiency of any player, a strong indicator of his ability to get the ball and make every possession count. Has experience against senior opponents and has worked past getting heavily tagged this year, a tick for his temperament.
WEAKNESSES
There aren't many, considering what Aish has shown over the past few years."

Or:
Jimmy Toumpas
"The Demons snare Toumpas at pick four, despite the South Australian being touted a top-three prospect for most of the year. And they'll love him, too, with his class, poise and goalkicking skills excellent for a midfielder."

Going all-in (whatever that means given we have no idea what our draft picks are etc) is bloody risky. High risk, high reward. Do we need to be that risky?

Doesn’t it matter who wrote this as much as what they wrote?

In a year of top end SA talent, with a glut of picks, it's not a bad idea to take a risk.

The other option is dont take a risk by putting all your eggs in the Luko basket and take 2 or 3 SA kids in the top 25. Imagine taking Rozee, Hately and a gun Hamish special taken under pick 25. I am really swinging away from trading up any of our picks. I still hope that Melbourne lose all their games and we can take Rankine at 8, but if this really is a strong draft then you are going to have some genuine A-graders falling between 10 and 25. Hamish is the man. Give him some bullets and let him do his thing. I'd throw our best 2018 pick and our 2019 1st at Luko or Izak. If that doesn't get them, no worries. Three top end talents as selected by Hamish Ogilvie. Hopefully a 4th gun slips to our 3rd rounder. Get a speculative pick with our 4th and bring in 3 or 4 to our rookie list.

Play the long game with both Jack and Izak and eventually throw a $1m x 5 year offer at both of them.

I was at the Crows vs St Kilda game at Edihad in 2001...90 point drubbing and one D Jarman kicked 6 goals...Blight was coaching the Saints as well...

Riewoldt defo played forward in that game...Mark Stevens played on him in our defence and beat him pretty easy...I remember later watching the game at home and someone in the commentary box, i think Dermie, saying even though he was getting beaten, he showed good forward traits, particularly his attack at the ball...

But he may have played CHF / half back in some of the other games that year...
Not saying he played bank every game.
It was more half back wing.

He definitely played went forward as well but wasnt as successful in those early years

SOS just now on FC:

Looking to bring older players into club, really struggling with lack of leadership, success will come once they bring older players into club

Pick 1 is up for grabs. "Everything's for sale".

SOS just now on FC:

Looking to bring older players into club, really struggling with lack of leadership, success will come once they bring older players into club

Didn’t see FC yet, so my comment is general. If he is looking for older players for pick 1, you can count us out. We don’t have players that meet that leadership brief that are up for grabs. Expect a vic team like Collingwood, Richmond or Hawthorn to cash in. I could see Sicily involved.

Carlton should be going hard for Dalhaus and Wallis. They can outbid the Dogs who are still paying Boyd for many more years to come. Don’t even need to trade any picks to get those players into their team.

SOS just now on FC:

So admitting he got it wrong trading out most of their quality mid age players.

I have been telling this to Blues supporters for more than a year but they believed SOS knew what he is doing.

For any rebuild, you need a minimum number of quality leaders to teach the kids on & off the field.

Possibly one thing in the Crows advantage in dealing with Carlton for the number 1 pick (if it eventuates) is they’ll know who Carlton rated from discussion throughout the Gibbs deal.
They are not getting the Crouch boys, so it's not going to happen...

They are not getting the Crouch boys, so it's not going to happen...
I would move on from this as an option and let him come to us begging. After watching him he is an arrogant coxkhead who would be a nightmare to deal with as we’ve found out. He will try to screw us so they clearly win and that will hurt us.

David Mackay has leadership, and honestly the football gods owe us one for playing their pet for 198 games.

Douglas genuinely does and he is smart. I think he would be perfectly suited to GCS rather than Carlton though. Play him accross the half back line in a Hodge like role. We really should be trying to trade him if he has any value. It might not be agreeable to all people, but it’s smart list management.

Douglas and CEY should give us some decent currency to bundle with picks to trade with GC.

I think Atkins could suit Carlton or St Kilda. I could see him playing for either club.

Kelly could just about go to any team, but I would quite like to keep him. But if he got us over the line, we should be open to trading him too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Douglas genuinely does and he is smart. I think he would be perfectly suited to GCS rather than Carlton though. Play him accross the half back line in a Hodge like role. We really should be trying to trade him if he has any value. It might not be agreeable to all people, but it’s smart list management.

Douglas and CEY should give us some decent currency to bundle with picks to trade with GC.

I think Atkins could suit Carlton or St Kilda. I could see him playing for either club.

Kelly could just about go to any team, but I would quite like to keep him. But if he got us over the line, we should be open to trading him too.

Trading Douglas does solve an issue in that it gives Gallucci a more stable best 22 spot then small forward, and ideally more midfield minutes. Mind you at 32 next season and not really someone with a reputation as a leader does make me wonder if any club would have any interest in him, guess it comes down to if he wants to coach or not. CEY is what 7 years on the list, had a knee reco and is permanently depth here which means he has practically no value whatsoever. Those games may see another club decide he could be worth it, or get another depth contract here but if we got offered literally anything for CEY, we'd be mad to not take it. Bundled together, pick 70 is generous.

Atkins does not suit Carlton or St Kilda at all as he'd fail miserably there. Atkins suits a team like Syndey/Collingwood/West Coast etc, one who has the cake and is looking for an icing player. In saying that, i'd be quite comfortable keeping Atkins for another season as I have doubts he has much worth after this season and should we rebound back up the ladder it's quite likely what other teams would give for him would increase dramatically. Or he's easily phased out (seeing he is in the most danger once Smith comes back).

Kelly is a really good shout for a trade right now. Cheney has all but taken his spot, and it's not a spot he'll ever have security in. Equally, I doubt we'll get much for him seeing his downturn in performance, and mid sized defenders aren't worth much. Melbourne might tempt him however (seeing he did have a lot of synergy with Lever), and it could net us a 3rd.

Really, the only player left that is going to net more first round picks, or that upgrade into "rankine territory" (I'm saying it in quotation marks as I'd be surprised if he gets picked before us/port if his rumoured homesickness is legit) is McGovern. The rest is just fantasy for fantasy sakes. If you think a combination of Rankine/Hately/Rozee/(your favourite draftee here) or even if miracles occur Lukosious is worth it, you pull that trigger. I'd pull that trigger if it guaranteed Rankine and Hately.

1. Douglas is contracted next year; and
2. He's married to an SA girl, ensconced in SA life, no interest in leaving whatsoever.

So that won't happen.

Not that I don't think it's a good idea

So admitting he got it wrong trading out most of their quality mid age players.

I have been telling this to Blues supporters for more than a year but they believed SOS knew what he is doing.

For any rebuild, you need a minimum number of quality leaders to teach the kids on & off the field.

Not necessarily. If they hadn’t traded out the older guys they would’ve only had mostly rubbish picks, and the older guys would’ve helped them win a few more games ensuring even their first picks would’ve been worse.

Not sure, think hes destined for the Thommo role myself, injury permitting.

It'll almost certainly be his last year.

In my opinion he is already there. We looked a lot better this week with the pressure of Gallucci, Murphy and Knight. If we try to fit Douglas into this team then we will sacrifice pressure. Even when Gov comes back in to the team, I would do it at the expense of Kelly who doesn't really have an ideal position now that Cheney is back to his best.

Not sure, think hes destined for the Thommo role myself, injury permitting.

It'll almost certainly be his last year.

It took a full year of Thommo being cooked at AFL level before he was played in the SANFL, and that's when he was 33. We also re-contracted him for that SANFL year with little fanfare

Can't see Douglas playing anything but maximum AFL time next year.

It took a full year of Thommo being cooked at AFL level before he was played in the SANFL, and that's when he was 33. We also re-contracted him for that SANFL year with little fanfare

Can't see Douglas playing anything but maximum AFL time next year.
Disagree

But we will see

I suspect Dougie will have the Callinan/VB/Thommo role in the reserves side next year

So do I, especially seeing the player we should be very keen to pump games as a half forward/midfielder is currently showing a lot of signs that he'll be a serious long term player for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back