AFL Grand Final AFL 2021 GRAND FINAL - Demons v Dogs Sat September 25th 7:15pm EST / 5:15pm WST (Optus) Congratulations Demons! 🍾🏆 Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 132 36.4%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 108 29.8%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 50 13.8%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 33 9.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 9 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like these two teams are the only sides to not give up 100 points this season, unless I missed someone.

Dees gave up 96 points in the loss to Crows, Dogs 97 in the loss to Bombers.

Scoring over 100, dogs have done it 9 times, Dees 6.

Edit: missed the Bombers game.

Last edited:

The sooner it returns to the MCG and for the next 40 years the better....
Got my ticket, get into Perth on the Saturday morning. 57 years is a long time to wait to see the big drought breaker. It’ll be glorious for all in attendance, me included😂😂😂bad luck mcc members, to see the dees rip the long wait apart. Most of us won’t be around to see Melbourne break a drought like this again. For the fabled mcc members the glorious day will be a big day with WhatsApp groups sharing photos from lockdown. Then celebrating in the comfort of loungeroom lockdown drinking champagne with the dog & cat. 57 years years is a long time to wait and another 57 to get to the drought again is going to feel even longer😂😂😂😂😂😂
All that money year after year on a membership only to fall victim to covic. 😂😂😂😂😂😂
Fancy getting a ticket to a game I couldn’t give a s**t about, the bar service will be splendid though.

Go dees 😉

Not really
Yup. Last year's GF at the Gabba, while not up there with the best ever, was streets ahead of many recent MCG grannies.

This one at Optus has all the hallmarks of being an absolute classic.

"Spiritual home" my arse. It's an effing stadium.

It's not blaming the umpires. It's acknowledging what's happening in the past to predict the future. Lets look at the facts:

- The dogs were basically gifted the game against Essendon with 4 Weightman goals in the wet which equates to about 7 goals in the dry. All were simple goals and occurred when the game was in the balance.

- Fast forward to the Brisbane game and there was contentious decisions left right and centre favouring the bulldogs. The English decision whilst technically there, wasn't there in the context of the game. Not to mention the non holding the ball decision in the last 30 secs.

- Rewind to the 23 rounds of the season where they have a free kick differential that's about 100 standard deviations above the norm and Bontempelli getting 10 more seconds than every other player to dispose of the ball.

- And lastly, rewind back to Melbournes last game again the Dogs where we lost the free kick count 11-25 in what I think was legitimately corrupt in every sense of the word. We were still almost good enough to almost pinch the game somehow but by gee the umps were a 6 goal factor that game.

And the dogs fans question why the dees fans are more nervous about the umpires than the Dogs themselves? Seriously?
1631672247736.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got my ticket, get into Perth on the Saturday morning. 57 years is a long time to wait to see the big drought breaker. It’ll be glorious for all in attendance, me included😂😂😂bad luck mcc members, to see the dees rip the long wait apart. Most of us won’t be around to see Melbourne break a drought like this again. For the fabled mcc members the glorious day will be a big day with WhatsApp groups sharing photos from lockdown. Then celebrating in the comfort of loungeroom lockdown drinking champagne with the dog & cat. 57 years years is a long time to wait and another 57 to get to the drought again is going to feel even longer😂😂😂😂😂😂
All that money year after year on a membership only to fall victim to covic. 😂😂😂😂😂😂
Fancy getting a ticket to a game I couldn’t give a sh*t about, the bar service will be splendid though.

Go dees 😉
Cool 🤙

Won't attend the game, but weather permitting, have the day mapped out.
Will set out to Optus about 15.00 (approx a 45 minute walk) and spend round about an hour soaking everything up.
Watching everybody walk in and all the kids enjoying the playgrounds. And the Camfield should be heaving.
Listen to the National anthem, then walk to the East Perth station for the train trip home while listening to the call on my ancient "transistor".
Get home in time for the second quarter (taped the first).
Should be an epic encounter.
Have a feeling the Dogs are on a mission though.
PS weather Gods.
Just be kind. September can be capricious.
Nah …nise+rough…we get landfill.".

The previous game he played (before he went off injured) he looked absolutely cooked, so I was pleasantly surprised.

I was happy with some of English’s work against Gawn last time, so if Martin forces a contest for a few quarters and English takes over late that’s fine with me.
Thought he was a bit unlucky with some of the free kicks, though I honestly have no idea with Ruck free kicks most of the time

So being forcefully pushed over is not a free 😂
Weightman should have gotten a free for a hold a few seconds earlier and had a shot on goal from an easier angle anyway.

I just hope he gets a fair run at it next weekend and isn't held and scragged or bumped off the ball illegally so we can see his football ability in all of it's magnificence

The game is really set up with both teams looking fantastic in the respective prelims.

Both teams supporters feel they will win if their respective plays to their best.

Realistically, both can only play up to what the other team permits.

Will the Dogs be defensively minded enough to slow down Oliver and Petracca, or will it be Macrae, Bont etc who get free.

How will the coaches set up tactically?

Which team can make the most of opportunity when it presents?

Game can go either way.

Not really
Then we must look at culling Victorian clubs and only having 3 or 4 based in Melbourne? If it's a truly national competition, then the only way to go if people want all tradition done away with and the best stadium in the country not utilised, is to reshape the League?

Melbourne 4 clubs
WA 4 clubs
SA 4 Clubs
NSW 4 Clubs
QLD 3 Clubs
Tasmania 1 Club
20 teams and the Grand Final rotates

Melbourne is finished as a sporting city anyway, I can only see Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond surviving?

That should make everyone happy!

Actually, i couldn't care less if football was never played in Victoria again!

Weightman should have gotten a free for a hold a few seconds earlier and had a shot on goal from an easier angle anyway.

I just hope he gets a fair run at it next weekend and isn't held and scragged or bumped off the ball illegally so we can see his football ability in all of it's magnificence
I think that will be Melbourne’s tactics, lots of physical stuff of all kinds to try to disrupt our game style. Then there’ll be screaming and crying that we got more frees :D

Any player that initiates the high contact shouldn't be given the free kick. If I were to single one player out, it'd have to be Weightman. Umps have to be tougher on him.

Weightman has 25 frees for and 9 frees against in 15 games. It doesn't add up when you compare it to other players in his position that are a similar height to him because no one else comes close to that type of differential.

Based on that, small forwards usually average less than 1 free kick a game. Most of these players are a similar height to Weightman, which suggests that there's something right with how he plays. There are obviously other players like Macrae that tend to draw high frees, but I don't think a free in the middle impacts the game as much as it does in front of goal.
Decisions are only contentious when we win 😉.
Suggestion: other teams should be careful how they tackle.
Weightman will get a lot more frees for being short and getting tackled high by opponents who are clueless.

A lot of factors to consider. How will the Bulldogs nullify Gawn and Jackson? How will the Dees contain the Bulldogs outside spread? How will May's hamstring hold up against an in form high flying Naughton? How will the Dogs contain Oliver and Petracca? How will the Dees contain Bontempelli and Macrae?

Both teams are in great form and deserve to be confident.
I imagine Petty will go with Naughton, not May. Either TMac or Brown will try and run Keath off his legs also

Back