Oppo Camp Deathriding Dogs, Freo and Crows - Daicos points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Did it really make much difference either way tonight?

Our biggest hope is that Darcy gets a bid first because no-one wants to give a Grand Finalist another leg up.

Our biggest hope is that Darcy gets a bid first because no-one wants to give a Grand Finalist another leg up.
It'd probably depend on whether we have enough points. I think the mentality of bidding in order to drag another team down is a bit of a weak loser mentality, if there is no gain for North. But if a bid puts a club into deficit with the potential of improving your next year's pick - you'd do it unfailingly.

Nah, we definitely want Nick to go at #1.

If he goes later than #1, then we’re doomed to put up with many of our fellow Collingwood brothers and sisters banging on for years about how we traded our future first round pick to GWS, and if we hadn’t we’d have <insert name of the ‘it’ player du jour> and have won <whatever number> premierships already.

I’d happily pay the extra points for the small mercy of avoiding all that.

If he goes later than #1, then we’re doomed to put up with many of our fellow Collingwood brothers and sisters banging on for years about how we traded our future first round pick to GWS, and if we hadn’t we’d have <insert name of the ‘it’ player du jour> and have won <whatever number> premierships already.

dont worry, they'll find other things to whine about...

I guess the point still remains…if we had kept our pick…we could trade that pick 2 next week for a juicy 2022 1st rounder or 2 first rounders?
North Melbourne 1st Round 2022 or Gold Coast 1st & 2nd 2022.
Or ask a middle finish club to find 2 first rounders 2022?
Pick 2 has very good trade currency.

Pick 2 has very good trade currency.

Indeed.

Pick 2 does have very good trade currency.

Like being used for picking up some very good players a year early, and then being able to get some development and games of experience into them.

Indeed.

Like being used for picking up some very good players a year early, and then being able to get some development and games of experience into them.
Yes…we will never really know, too many what if’s.
If Poulter, McMahan & or McCreery all make it, then no harm no foul.
If Ned Guy had crystal balls…knowing 2021 would be Pick 2, would he have still done that trade?

If he goes later than #1, then we’re doomed to put up with many of our fellow Collingwood brothers and sisters banging on for years about how we traded our future first round pick to GWS, and if we hadn’t we’d have and have won premierships already.

Eh, if we had kept pick #2 we definitely would have copped a bid at #1, so I don’t really care about that narrative. It’s better for the club the later the bid comes, the blowhards will still be blowhards regardless, they’ll just find another soapbox.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indeed.

The good thing (if anything was good) about last years debacle was that we were able to recruit a lot of kids. And we threw a lot of darts at the dartboard. The more darts you have, the more chances you have of scoring some bullseyes. Not to mention as you rightly point out… getting a years experience into them and fast tracking the rebuild.

I fully understand why we did that trade and turning one future player into two current players was a sound decision at the time. Clearly with the benefit of hindsight it hasn’t worked out as well as forecast… but you always need to base your trade decisions on forecasting. You need to back yourself in.

We need to find a few more. Likely to drop again after Sydney’s compo for Hewett

We'll be down to 1,575 points if Hewett gets Sydney band 3 compo (ie. second round), in which case we'd need to find 925 points to guarantee a bid match on Daicos at pick 1. If he only gets Sydney band 4 compo (end of second round) then it's +19 points for us, and if it's only band 5 compo (third round) then our picks remain where they are currently (1642 points / 958 needed to match pick 1 bid on Daicos).

It will be interesting to see what names come up as potential trade departures next week as we've got some work to do now to shore up our points, assuming our future 3rd and 4th round picks will be used on Lipinski and Kreuger.

This makes me wonder if we're perhaps looking at an unanticipated trade move, like Noble to the Crows for pick 43 for example? He'd do ok there as a replacement for Laird in the back line and the trade value is probably fair for someone who has put together the past two seasons Noble has.

Last edited:
Points have gone down to 1,594..

These stupid compos.
We definitely need to trade in 2 more picks in the 30-50 range now.
Maybe Cox or Lynch gets 1 pick
Not sure how we attain the other unless we trade out our future 2nd which I would prefer not to do
Assume we will use the future third for Lipinski and Kreuger
Richmond”s 8 top 50 picks look attractive but not sure how we attain 2 of them

1999 trading pick 3 + King for pick 7 + McKee and how we "missed" Pavlich because of that deal comes to mind.

1999 trading pick 3 + King for pick 7 + McKee and how we "missed" Pavlich because of that deal comes to mind.
We also traded Pick 7 for Hawks Pick 10 in 04. They pick up Jordan Lewis, we get Chris Egan, who we'd have gone for anyhow from what I recall. Not sure if there was something else attached.

We also traded Pick 7 for Hawks Pick 10 in 04. They pick up Jordan Lewis, we get Chris Egan, who we'd have gone for anyhow from what I recall. Not sure if there was something else attached.
Other parts Nixon to the hawks, pick 37 (LeCras) to us, which we ontraded for Morrison

That wasn’t a bad trade. They got the player they wanted. The big mistake was the talent identification . The draft selection was terrible. They would have drafted Egan even with oick 7.

That wasn’t a bad trade. They got the player they wanted. The big mistake was the talent identification . The draft selection was terrible. They would have drafted Egan even with oick 7.
Talent was there. Work ethic - not so much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back